New Cassette - Old Chain

deejaysee
deejaysee Posts: 149
edited January 2019 in Workshop
So i just bought myself Wahoo kickr and obviously added a new cassette.
Everything is fixed up fine but the chain and the cassette just aren't getting along.
Its not the gear indexing as thats fine on the wheel but its as if the teeth of the new cassette just don't sit well with my old chain. When the chain leaves the cassette, each link almost pops out of the teeth, causing a huge racket.

I did notice that my old existing bike cassette is shimano 105 (5800) and the new cassette is 105 (R7000)
So my question is

1. Is my 5800 chain not quite the right fit for R7000 cassette so i need to buy a R7000 Chain
2. My chain is worn (a good 10,000 miles on it) isn't fitting well with a brand new cassette

Comments

• bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    It is diagnosis 2!

Also best not to keep using the old chain on the new cassette as it will knacker it.

And you may well find that a new chain skips on your old cassette too, you may well need another one of them.
  • deejaysee
    So a good idea to buy another R7000 cassette for my bike and a R7000 chain.
  • orlok
    orlok Posts: 89
    If your chain have ride more then 10.000 miles it's worn, completely worn.! 8)

Anyway you need always a new chain with a new cassette, otherwise the old chain will worn directly the new cassette.! :wink:
    There will be always a moment of tailwind.Pinarello F8/10 - Ultegra 8000 Di2 - Carbonspeed C50 UST - Tubeless
  • orlok
    If your chain have ride more then 10.000 miles it's worn, completely worn.! 8)

Anyway you need always a new chain with a new cassette, otherwise the old chain will worn directly the new cassette.! :wink:
    There will be always a moment of tailwind.Pinarello F8/10 - Ultegra 8000 Di2 - Carbonspeed C50 UST - Tubeless
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Orlok wrote:

Simply not true.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    deejaysee wrote:

Unless the 5800 cassette is fairly new that would be a sensible solution
  • bondurant
    deejaysee wrote:

Yes, I would. Something like this anyway (not sure there is an R7000 chain):
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-105-r7000-cassette-bundle-11-32/
  • orlok
    Imposter wrote:
    Orlok wrote:

Simply not true.
    Why not, explique.! :roll:
  • imposter2.0
    Orlok wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Orlok wrote:

Simply not true.

Why? Because it isn't. It is possible to run new chains with 'old' cassettes and 'old' chains with new cassettes. It depends on the condition of both.

But to say that in all cases you must use a new chain with a new cassette is simply not correct.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Orlok wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Orlok wrote:

Simply not true.
    I usually get at least 3 chains to one cassette.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    im a three chains plus here too.
  • orlok
    Imposter wrote:
    Orlok wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Orlok wrote:

Simply not true.

Why? Because it isn't. It is possible to run new chains with 'old' cassettes and 'old' chains with new cassettes. It depends on the condition of both.

But to say that in all cases you must use a new chain with a new cassette is simply not correct.
    I agree that's not correct it depends on the condition specially when they are both new. But you must agree that a chain used will always worn directly a new cassette ring because the chain don't fit exactly in the new sprockets of the cassette.

Btw, I change my chains approx. every 3.000km and so I use at least 5 chains with one cassette (16.000km) and more then 30.000 for a chainring. :)
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    So, you disagree with yourself now? :?

If you don’t let a chain completely wear out before changing it (change before 3/4 wear, preferably at 1/2 wear) you should be able to run your new chain on the same cassette. If you wear the chain out completely and keep riding it you risk wearing the cassette teeth beyond where a new chain will engage properly and thus will have to replace your cassette too.

PP
  • imposter2.0
    Orlok wrote:
    But you must agree that a chain used will always worn directly a new cassette ring because the chain don't fit exactly in the new sprockets of the cassette.

The cassette will wear irrespective of whether the chain is new or old. If the old chain does not slip on the new cassette, then there is no reason not to use it.
  • orlok
    Imposter wrote:
    Orlok wrote:
    But you must agree that a chain used will always worn directly a new cassette ring because the chain don't fit exactly in the new sprockets of the cassette.

The cassette will wear irrespective of whether the chain is new or old. If the old chain does not slip on the new cassette, then there is no reason not to use it.
    It's okay if your opinion is that you always can use an old chain witch does not slip on a new cassette, but it's not how you make the most profits (km's) of the new cassette. :wink:
  • deejaysee
    Bondurant wrote:
    deejaysee wrote:

Yes, I would. Something like this anyway (not sure there is an R7000 chain):
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-105-r7000-cassette-bundle-11-32/

This is exactly what i just bought.
    R7000 cassette on the Wahoo
    R7000 cassette to replace old 5800 on the bike and new chain.

Hopefully that'll sort it as the chain just doesnt sit well at all with the new cassette
  • Do yourself a favour and spend £4 on a chain checking tool for future sake...
  • benjamess
    benjamess Posts: 159
    there's an old and well known saying that goes "you can't teach an old cog new links" 8)
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    benjamess wrote:
    there's an old and well known saying that goes "you can't teach an old cog new links" 8)
    We were all thinking it.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    benjamess wrote:

:D:D:lol:
  • bondurant
    Haha. Excellent.