thursday putting my tank on their lawn

sungod
sungod Posts: 16,434
edited February 2019 in The bottom bracket
'ning

cafes, day of stuff

later drink bubbly, fly off to adventure in sundry lands of sands, conflab with tentacles of states and other punters for the greater glory of gmc, bask by pool, etc., tonight's snow permitting
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, a cold one at that -6 on the garden thermometer, dog walked ,a bowl of hot porridge next , be careful out there on them roads
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Shoot that was a cold walk with the hound.

Now off to a meeting too far from home in a car that is as good on ice as Prince Phillip is at driving
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    TLW1 wrote:

Now off to a meeting too far from home in a car that is as good on ice as Prince Phillip is at driving

Is there any car that’s good on ice especially black ice?
    Take care TLW
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,434
    had a stroll, a few icy puddles in london, cafe time
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Morning
    Fun bike to work this morning. Taking it easy roads because some were more like ice rinks, then through the frozen fields which was more much enjoyable.
    Some odds and sods to do, then covering for someone at a meeting about something which I know nothing about.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Put on ALL the kit, rode to work. Not even cold fingers or toes. There are some advantages to liking peanut butter so much, the resultant insulation comes in handy at this time of year.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    WFH, fell over a few times trying to get out my gate, had a light flurry of snow which has turned to ice overnight. No dog walk let her loose in her jacket in the garden instead. chucked some salt over onto the road outside the house so wait for that to do something.
    Top tip folks, dont live on a hill with an incline warning!
  • tlw1
    TLW1 wrote:

Is there any car that’s good on ice especially black ice?
    Take care TLW
    You are right no car is good on ice, but some can’t even cope with slush!
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    so fekkin' cold especially when the wind kicks in. everyone here in 4 layers including so many non issue jackets. bloody freezing.

ride/drive safe geezars/geezettes.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    Most hills have an incline.

Cars with studded tyres.

Cold here too. Just trying to get body and mind into the idea of a day's humping all the wood I chopped.

Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Matthewfalle
    cheesy beans with tobasco for brunch. yum.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • hopkinb
    Pinno wrote:

Cars with studded tyres.

Cold here too. Just trying to get body and mind into the idea of a day's humping all the wood I chopped.

Laters.

Not all of them have an incline warning though.

Eeew, can't you find something better to hump than chopped wood? Won't you get splinters in it? :wink:
  • Matthewfalle
    hopkinb wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Cars with studded tyres.

Laters.

Eeew, can't you find something better to hump than chopped wood? Won't you get splinters in it? :wink:

drill a hole in the wood, sand it smooth and all will be well.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Afternoon folks,
    Slower start than usual as I had to drop wife off at physio then daughter to school before delivering the old man's motor to the dealer's before wobbling in to work. Bit fresh out there but very pretty with clear skies and frosty ground through a different park to the usual. Rode through Crane Park from Twickers to work.
    Busy in here and I seem to have man flu so my nose is running like a tap which is really irritating.
    Onwards and upwards...
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    hopkinb wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Cars with studded tyres.

Laters.

drill a hole in the wood, sand it smooth and all will be well.
    Is this what they mean by 'getting wood' ?

Afternoon people and log molesters,

Early drive into work. Just half a day to go at work and I'm headed North - tactics needed here as I need to miss the worst of the rush hour but avoid the snow that's arriving sometime this evening darn sarf. Oddly the weather gets better as I head north - at least tonight anyway.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    hopkinb wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Cars with studded tyres.

Laters.

'City men' :roll:

It's a beautiful day to split and stack wood. You can stuff your GMC malarkey.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • hopkinb
    Pinno wrote:

I'm sure it is, but you don't have to hump it afterwards - that's just deviant! :D

I would stuff the GMC malarkey, but that's where my skillset lies. Making words and numbers work for me, and explaining them in words of one syllable to people who neither understand, nor care, about anything except not getting arrested, or doing something that loses money unnecessarily.

Professional rugby wasn't really a thing when I played, I ain't never going to make it as a pro cyclist now ( :lol::lol::lol: ), and anything I try to build or mend is quite likely to fall apart. I suppose I could dig holes, or cook. But they are knackering jobs and the pay is poor. I have not the patience to teach, and I would probably fail to sell you a bucket of water if you were on fire, in a desert, 50 miles from an oasis. I'm too old and too risk averse to take the time required to re-train.

You have to play what's been dealt to you in such a way as to balance what you want from life. I could earn more money, but for me there are severe diminishing returns for each £, in terms of stress and time with the family. I have it about right for me. I work with interesting, motivated & bright people by & large, and I should be able to retire at some point.

Fcuking Brexit though. That could fcuk everything into a cocked hat.
  • Matthewfalle
    absolutely gopping - freezing & pouring down. yuk.

just as well I'm sitting in a car park.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    hopkinb wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

I'm sure it is, but you don't have to hump it afterwards - that's just deviant! :D

I would stuff the GMC malarkey, but that's where my skillset lies. Making words and numbers work for me, and explaining them in words of one syllable to people who neither understand, nor care, about anything except not getting arrested, or doing something that loses money unnecessarily.

Professional rugby wasn't really a thing when I played, I ain't never going to make it as a pro cyclist now ( :lol::lol::lol: ), and anything I try to build or mend is quite likely to fall apart. I suppose I could dig holes, or cook. But they are knackering jobs and the pay is poor. I have not the patience to teach, and I would probably fail to sell you a bucket of water if you were on fire, in a desert, 50 miles from an oasis. I'm too old and too risk averse to take the time required to re-train.

You have to play what's been dealt to you in such a way as to balance what you want from life. I could earn more money, but for me there are severe diminishing returns for each £, in terms of stress and time with the family. I have it about right for me. I work with interesting, motivated & bright people by & large, and I should be able to retire at some point.

what's happened to H3 since I've been gone? First all the Doogie Howser talk the other day, now sensible rational postings concerning the life/work balance.....

has he been stolen and replaced by one of the MFs?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • hopkinb

what's happened to H3 since I've been gone? First all the Doogie Howser talk the other day, now sensible rational postings concerning the life/work balance.....

has he been stolen and replaced by one of the MFs?

Stopped drinking for a bit innit.

I picked up all the Doogie Howser talk spending 12 and a half years in and out of hospitals. Which is the same reason I realised there's more to life than money and the pursuit thereof.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Pinno wrote:

Cars with studded tyres.

Laters.

Yeah mines more like the incline of the old Hovis advert, sign at the bottom of the hill says 12.5% gradient :lol:

Ice melted been out chucked more salt down for the supposed snow later going to ride to work for a bit as I left my laptop there.
  • hopkinb
    Popped the knobbly tyres on, expecting a fun filled commute tomorrow. Or, if I fall off more than twice in the first mile, I'll pack it in.
  • pinno
    hopkinb wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

I bet you never considered pimping.
    You see, if I was a careers advisor...

On a serious note, a few years mucking around in offices of some well presented outfits; Lincoln Financial Management, Zurich life services, Chelsea building society, Eagle star, made me realise exactly what I didn't want to do.
    I was never going to be physically strong enough to go back to catering to be a chef and had considered proper training. I thought that I would have to lead a sedentary existence due to physical short comings/dodgy immune system but I was wrong and going back to my engineering routes in a round about sort of fashion was a mini dawn, an epiphany if you like. I would not swap the ability to fix a lot of things or make or even build for all the money in the world.
    Also, having resided in Kenya, I lived in a culture of resourcefulness and men fixed things. The concept that some men (nay most) men cannot fix things or don't know how, left a me disillusioned for a long while when we moved to Blighty.

Oh and yes, I could quite happily shoot Mr Cameron.
  • hopkinb
    Pinno wrote:

I bet you never considered pimping.
    You see, if I was a careers advisor...

On a serious note, a few years mucking around in offices of some well presented outfits; Lincoln Financial Management, Zurich life services, Chelsea building society, Eagle star, made me realise exactly what I didn't want to do.
    I was never going to be physically strong enough to go back to catering to be a chef and had considered proper training. I thought that I would have to lead a sedentary existence due to physical short comings/dodgy immune system but I was wrong and going back to my engineering routes in a round about sort of fashion was a mini dawn, an epiphany if you like. I would not swap the ability to fix a lot of things or make or even build for all the money in the world.
    Also, having resided in Kenya, I lived in a culture of resourcefulness and men fixed things. The concept that some men (nay most) men cannot fix things or don't know how, left a me disillusioned for a long while when we moved to Blighty.

Oh and yes, I could quite happily shoot Mr Cameron.
    I'd be a bad pimp. I like women...
    What you did with PPP, amazing resourcefulness, persistence, skill. I just don't have that in me.
    I'm just enough of a corporate animal to survive, and I've been lucky with bosses.
    My problem is I have wanted to live here in London since I was a small kid, lots of people find that weird, i know that. Still, I get a thrill each morning crossing Southwark bridge, with tower bridge away to the right, and the new buildings of the city, looming into view. Same when I ride along the embankment past the HoP, or I come into town with Mrs H3 or the the kids, to wander on the south bank, or visit the museums, or the parks. We do it a lot. Equally, i can be on Wimbledon common with the dog or ride to Richmond park to see deer and breathe cleanish air within 15 mins. I can get anything I want, at any time.

We are all different. I'll take my participation on the corporate hamster wheel to live where I do. My brother, he's happy back in Coventry, on his feet all day cooking.

I'm not a judgmental person anymore, we all have our cross to bear, and we're all shaped in different ways. I've learned to never sneer at anyone, I used to be an entitled, bigoted sh!t, oh so very pleased with myself, but my life experience with Issie, meeting all kinds of people, beats that cr@p out of you, makes you see humanity.
  • pinno
    I see that you keep 2 feet firmly on the ground. I had something kick the sh1t out of me too and I live in a similar vein.

Anyway, the rest of your/my former self: Youth is a condition that cures itself.
    You are, without exception, one of the few people who enjoys what you do and where you live but that is probably more to do with how you see things, rather than what you do.
  • hopkinb
    Pinno wrote:
    I see that you keep 2 feet firmly on the ground. I had something kick the sh1t out of me too and I live in a similar vein.

Anyway, the rest of your/my former self: Youth is a condition that cures itself.
    You are, without exception, one of the few people who enjoys what you do and where you live but that is probably more to do with how you see things, rather than what you do.
    I don't "enjoy" what I do. I'm good enough at it. I have a talent for getting by. I have been lucky with the people I have worked with. There are plenty of sh!t people to work for out there. I have a very supportive wife. I'm not so easy to live with.
  • pinno
    Self flagellation will get you no where :D
  • hopkinb
    Pinno wrote:
    Self flagellation will get you no where :D
    I know. It's a weakness of mine. Working on that shyte. :wink:
  • tlw1
    hopkinb wrote: