secretsam Posts: 5,099
May take the place of the much loved Chiltern 100? 14/7/19

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• What is Etape UK?
    left the forum March 2023
  • https://www.letapeuk.co.uk/

It'll be a sprint stage.
  • So in essence it is a sportive endorsed by TdF... bit like L'Etape du Tour but in the UK, except it has nothing to do with the route of the TdF.

Still quite confused...
  • So in essence it is a sportive endorsed by TdF... bit like L'Etape du Tour but in the UK, except it has nothing to do with the route of the TdF.

Still quite confused...

And it's on open roads.
  • From the length of the routes, and the date, it is the Chiltern 100.
  • From the length of the routes, and the date, it is the Chiltern 100.

Jeez... I used to be part of the organising club... when it was a joint Verulam CC-Amersham RCC thing... I remember those days quite fondly :D
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    From the length of the routes, and the date, it is the Chiltern 100.

Jeez... I used to be part of the organising club... when it was a joint Verulam CC-Amersham RCC thing... I remember those days quite fondly :D

Yup, pretty much looks like Chiltern 100, which is/was a Human Race event.

Was slightly put off the other year by the excessive number of High Wycombe CC pro-wannabes charging around like pr1cks, but it's a lovely ride and well organised. Hoping to do it with a couple of colleagues.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • I still don't get it.

The blurb says "an opportunity to experience the real atmosphere of the Tour in the UK"... in which way? Surely a couple of large screens showing de TdF stage and a few stands serving Pelforth and Claret are not going to set the world on fire in this day and age...

The route is nice, but I fail to see what is the connection with TdF
  • I still don't get it.

The blurb says "an opportunity to experience the real atmosphere of the Tour in the UK"... in which way? Surely a couple of large screens showing de TdF stage and a few stands serving Pelforth and Claret are not going to set the world on fire in this day and age...

The Dragon Ride has been the Dragon Ride L'Etape Wales by Le Tour de France for a year or two. Apparently Didi the devil showed up, but I don't know what else, I haven't done it while it was. Back to just Dragon Ride for 2019.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I still don't get it.

it's all about the money....
    FCN = 4
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    I still don't get it.

The Dragon Ride has been the Dragon Ride L'Etape Wales by Le Tour de France for a year or two. Apparently Didi the devil showed up, but I don't know what else, I haven't done it while it was. Back to just Dragon Ride for 2019.

I assume they made that decsion before a Welshman won the TdF. An actual TdF stage in Wales would be great, and a realistic possibility after GT's win.

L'Etape seem to do these sportives all over the world. Just a marketing exercise, I guess. But having ben impressed by the organistion and support at last years Dragon Ride, I'd trust them with my money again.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    SecretSam wrote:
    From the length of the routes, and the date, it is the Chiltern 100.

Yup, pretty much looks like Chiltern 100, which is/was a Human Race event.

Was slightly put off the other year by the excessive number of High Wycombe CC pro-wannabes charging around like pr1cks, but it's a lovely ride and well organised. Hoping to do it with a couple of colleagues.

the L'etape events are Human Race events with an extra layer of branding. The contact people for L'etape Chilterns have humanrace e-mail addresses, L'etape Wales used Human Race for their merchandising.