Only an MP could get away with this.

slowmart
slowmart Posts: 4,474
edited February 2019 in The cake stop
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ing-ticket

Convicted, sentenced , jailed and while in prison she’s getting paid.

WTF? Getting paid for what? The only comfort is that the prosecution was bought.
“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu

Comments

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Up to constituents to petition to force a by election. Needs 10% I believe.
    That's how it works. No mechanism to sack an MP in the everyday meaning of the word.
  • The depths of her depravity know no bounds.

She's appealing the conviction - unbelievable - so the party can't begin a recall petition to call a byelection for months by which time she'll be back out to argue her case. Completely shameless.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,157
    I see she's doing her best to keep up Labour standards of behaviour.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ballysmate
    No doubt Diane Abbott will be popping up, saying she only got sent down because she is black and a woman.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Indeed but no worse than Boris Johnson in my view. The consequences of whose lies are yet to be fully realised.

I hate to say it but maybe these are the representatives, representative of us. Irrespective of their party.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Robert88 wrote:
    Indeed but no worse than Boris Johnson in my view. The consequences of whose lies are yet to be fully realised.

I hate to say it but maybe these are the representatives, representative of us. Irrespective of their party.
    Boris is a lying khunt but as far as I know has not yet been tried and sentenced to three months in clink. If Corbyn and Labour had any standards whatsoever, they would have disavowed the creature by now but they obviously think that she is still a fit and proper person to sit in parliament.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • ayjaycee wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:

Boris is a lying khunt but as far as I know has not yet been tried and sentenced to three months in clink. If Corbyn and Labour had any standards whatsoever, they would have disavowed the creature by now but they obviously think that she is still a fit and proper person to sit in parliament.
    I hate to disappoint you but labour removed the party whip and she is no longer in the party or stands up for the party. She is an independent MP. They took this action before the trial had finished, possibly started.

What more could they do?

I believe the tory party have acted much later in their cases of MPs being accused and later convicted of a crime. Of course IIRC there's been more tory criminals in my lifetime than Labour ones. That annoys me a bit being a lifelong tory voter. I just wish they all could pick better representation candidates for us.
  • ayjaycee wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:

Agree if JC was an upstanding leader in waiting he would have expelled her from the party and she would now be sitting as an independent MP.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Stevo 666 wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category: ... _of_crimes
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    Who wins?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category: ... _of_crimes

https://www.channel4.com/news/out-of-or ... ehind-bars

"the startling statistic that in 2011, while 0.13 per cent of the general population was in jail, a shocking 0.61 per cent of House of Commons members were in prison."
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry
    edited January 2019
    ayjaycee wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:

Agree if JC was an upstanding leader in waiting he would have expelled her from the party and she would now be sitting as an independent MP.

She was thrown out of the party on conviction. Keep up.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    I was assuming sarcasm there.

Love that the MP has 'got away with it'. Er, got away with going to jail?

I wish the punishment for doing 41 in a 30 zone was so strict...
  • https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jan/29/labour-mp-fiona-onasanya-jailed-for-lying-speeding-ticket
    Labour and the Conservatives have called for her to “do the decent thing” and resign immediately.

Just up clarify things, if you look into it she's no longer a labour mp and Labour is also calling for her to resign as an independent MP. All the responsible press sources are being accurate about get status. She's had the labour whip removed some time back.

If you don't like the guardian try the telegraph or other publication. They're all reporting this fact.
  • rjsterry
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jan/29/labour-mp-fiona-onasanya-jailed-for-lying-speeding-ticket
    Labour and the Conservatives have called for her to “do the decent thing” and resign immediately.

Just up clarify things, if you look into it she's no longer a labour mp and Labour is also calling for her to resign as an independent MP. All the responsible press sources are being accurate about get status. She's had the labour whip removed some time back.

If you don't like the guardian try the telegraph or other publication. They're all reporting this fact.

Particularly love the spurious Diane Abbott tie in. Bally, you seem to have a bit of a thing for her.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Tories do seem to take a dislike to Diane Abbott so any chance to associate someone or some event to her only makes it more serious. I'm a tory who doesn't actually think she's bad enough to warrant this treatment. I mean she's not anywhere near being the most dangerous corbynista / Leftie in the party.
  • rjsterry
    You know when school boys are horrible to the girl they fancy - I was thinking more along those lines :twisted:
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    This woman is a solicitor who claims she did not know her actions were illegal to which the judge thought was incredible. I hope her constituents get on the case and get her removed as quickly as possible as this is a disgrace. If she can't be honest about a speeding ticket then what chance have we got with her being honest about anything else. This is an educated women that could be selling your house or arranging your families estate in death. There are question marks over whether she should be allowed to be a solicitor never mind being a MP.
  • joenobody
    joenobody Posts: 563
    TimothyW wrote:

I think you've missed the point of what it is she's getting away with...
  • imposter2.0
    john80 wrote:
    There are question marks over whether she should be allowed to be a solicitor never mind being a MP.

Technically, her conviction (specifically the act of lying to the police and subsequent custodial sentence) should mean a ban from the Solicitor's Regulation Authority is now likely to be on the way..

Having said that, shes not the first MP to be jailed - and certainly not the first solicitor either...
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Jonathan Aitkin - 18 months for perjury, Jeffrey Archer - perjury, Lord Hanningfield -- 14 months for falsely claiming £14k in expenses, Lord Taylor 12 Months for falsely claiming £12 in expenses. All tories.

And yes you can find Labour MPs who have been jailed but to describe this case as 'Labour standards of behaviour' is pretty pathetic really.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Brakeless wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Jonathan Aitkin - 18 months for perjury, Jeffrey Archer - perjury, Lord Hanningfield -- 14 months for falsely claiming £14k in expenses, Lord Taylor 12 Months for falsely claiming £12 in expenses. All tories.

And yes you can find Labour MPs who have been jailed but to describe this case as 'Labour standards of behaviour' is pretty pathetic really.

this - good point well presented.

just because they are an MP doesn't mean that they are bent: they should abide to higher values but whether they actually do - well, thats down to them as a person and not their political beliefs/allegiances.....
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    So when elected she stood as a Labour party candidate but now she's been booted out she can choose to continue as an independent MP? And continue to pocket an MP's salary despite not being able to do the job on account of being banged up?

How do the people who voted for her feel about that?

Isn't that a bit like ordering a pineapple then finding Ocado have slipped you a bag of spuds instead? (other fruit and veg are available)

I have to say her track record of decision making has so far been 100% wrong, so those saying she should do the right thing and resign are likely to be disappointed.

If I did what she'd done I'd face immediate dismissal for gross misconduct and the money would stop immediately. (I know that because it happened to a colleague when he got nicked for being found asleep in his car but way over the limit)
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    keef66 wrote:
    If I did what she'd done I'd face immediate dismissal for gross misconduct and the money would stop immediately. (I know that because it happened to a colleague when he got nicked for being found asleep in his car but way over the limit)
    Not in the public sector then?
  • rjsterry
    JoeNobody wrote:
    TimothyW wrote:

Then explain what she has got away with.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• ballysmate
    rjsterry wrote:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jan/29/labour-mp-fiona-onasanya-jailed-for-lying-speeding-ticket

Particularly love the spurious Diane Abbott tie in. Bally, you seem to have a bit of a thing for her.

I'm a big fan. She should be on prime time tv every night hosting a current affairs programme.

Regarding the black/woman jibe. It's Di's standard response.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    rjsterry wrote:
    JoeNobody wrote:
    TimothyW wrote:

she's in prison. thats not really getting away with it is it?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    keef66 wrote:
    How do the people who voted for her feel about that?

If she doesn't quit voluntarily then it's up to her constituents to recall her - which they can't do at the moment as she is appealing the sentence. Not the first MP to be jailed - and not the first MP to prioritise their own self-interest either, sadly..
  • rjsterry
    Ballysmate wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

I'm a big fan. She should be on prime time tv every night hosting a current affairs programme.

Regarding the black/woman jibe. It's Di's standard response.

Isn't she still a regular with Michael Portillo on that awful Andrew Neil programme?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry wrote:
    JoeNobody wrote:
    TimothyW wrote:

Chris Huhne and his ex-missus got 8 months each for a lot less lieing.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    orraloon wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    Not in the public sector then?

Nope. Firmly in the grip of the filthy capitalists.