To Ti or not to Ti

effillo
effillo Posts: 257
edited January 2019 in Road buying advice
I am currently on the cusp of pulling the trigger on a second hand Titanium Van Nicholas Mistral but having doubts. I have read all the pros and cons of Ti v carbon etc. I currently ride a supersix Evo which is great but I have always wanted a Ti frame and now have the readies to scratch the itch. I am unsure of the difference it would be speed wise etc compared to carbon, the mistral weighs around 8.3kg so not exactly heavy but everything I read points to and audax or sportive geometry which says slower to me!! I am guessing I could find a more aggressive position, does anyone that rides a sportive geometry have theirs set more akin to a race setup? Also does anyone here ride both a carbon and ti frame and care to compare the two? I have a feeling eventually that it will become my only bike and the six may get sold.

Comments

• effillo wrote:
    I have a feeling eventually that it will become my only bike and the six may get sold.

If it's a sure fire thing, then I'm not sure why you are debating??
    Just buy it - as you say, you have the readies to scratch the itch, so scratch it.

Compare the geometry of both bikes and be comfortable that you can get the Mistral set up to a similar position.

Let us know how you get on...
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    I had a Mistral and it was nice but used to flex quite a lot. How old is the Mistral as they stopped making that frame a while ago.

Anyway I swapped mine for a carbon frame and found it a bit of a revelation. My Tarmac is more comfortable, stiffer and lighter. Don’t get me wrong the VN is a nice bike but not sure it will satisfy you.
  • effillo
    effillo Posts: 257
    It's a 2012 frame I believe. That's interesting to hear, I knew it wouldn't be as stiff as a carbon frame but did expect it to be more comfortable, not that I have any comfort problems anyway on my current bike.

• joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    I have a Planet X Ti bike which has been amazing for the 8 or so years I've had it, and it still looks like new. I also have a Scott Foil (the older version) which is faster, stiffer and less comfortable. That said, I am confident that modern 'comfort' orientated carbon bikes would be more comfortable than my Ti bike. Carbon gives a LOT of options to a designer willing to invest the time to tweak it's properties to suit the desired outcome (stiff, lightweight, aero, etc...).

However, it sounds like you are buying a material rather than a bike. Even if it is Ti, if its the wrong Ti bike for you then you won't get on with it. Check the geometry careful and make sure you are buying the right bike, and not just because it's Ti. The super six is, by all accounts i've read, a very good bike.
  • The best Ti Van Nicholas I rode was the Astraeus, so then bought the updated version the J.Gulliem Formentor.

Other carbon frames Ive ridden VN Aquilo. Enigma etc seem very dull and lifeless in comparison to the 2 above which are more 'aggressive' geometry
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • I have a supersix hi mod 2015 and a van Nicholas Ventus which I bought in November. The supersix is better on the hills and is super light however If I had to pick one it’s the van Nicholas

So sweet to ride and exactly what they say about titanium . Just feels great . When I go to the shed I usually pull out the titanium unless I’m on the hills .
    My average speed on the flat is usually higher . A lot to be said for the fit too . Just works better . I’d race on it too if it came down to it .
    Just bear in mind they aren’t superlight
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    My average speed on the flat is usually higher . A lot to be said for the fit too . Just works better .

The material of the bike shouldn't impact the fit in any way at all.

Also, if you are faster on the flat on a Ti bike, the difference is likely wheel, tyres or bike position seeing as neither the Ti bike nor the Super Six are 'aero' framesets.
  • joey54321 wrote:
    My average speed on the flat is usually higher . A lot to be said for the fit too . Just works better .

The material of the bike shouldn't impact the fit in any way at all.

Also, if you are faster on the flat on a Ti bike, the difference is likely wheel, tyres or bike position seeing as neither the Ti bike nor the Super Six are 'aero' framesets.

Yep down to the fit in probability, wheels are similar. The titanium just feels great though . Very comfortable on bad road surface too .