New bike different country

equinefunk
equinefunk Posts: 323
edited January 2019 in Road buying advice
I've recently got a 1 year extension to my contract working in the Netherlands and although I cycle every day I use my btwin commuter I want to start road cycling here. I'm home every weekend. I need something to ride during the week over there. I recently bought a Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc for the UK.

So the bike I want for the Netherlands has to be a little bit different to the Cube so when I come back I don't have bikes which are too similar. Or I get a bike that is similar and will keeps it value so I can just sell it.

I need a bike I'm going to ride a few times a week even in the winter. My ride time will be 2/3 hours in the summer.

I've been looking at the Giant TCR but they don't take mudguards according to the dealer. I've been looking around the sales but I'm struggling. I don't want to spend anymore than £1200.
I've looked at Canyon endurace but don't take mudguards either.
I found a trek domane S4 but tiagra is not really what I want at that price.

Any advice would be appreciated.
I'm over 6' and have quite a large head.

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,405
    Fly home, see family, get bike box from LBS, Fly bike over to NL

Use 1200 squids to go on holiday
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    But the bike will be right hand drive....
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • equinefunk
    Yeah ... they ride on the wrong side of the road over there...I need two bikes as I am at home every weekend
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    How do you travel? Can't you travel with the bike?

Will you actually ride it at home every weekend/ how much riding will you do over the winter in the Netherlands if you are in the UK every weekend?

Cannondale Synapse ticks a lot of boxes. There aren't many race-geometry carbon bikes with mudguard mounts.
  • equinefunk
    I fly so taking the bike isn't practical. In the winter it will be less on the evening. But I have from now until October then in the Spring I'll cycle a lot. I was thinking synapse but concerned it's like for like with the Cube
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    equinefunk wrote:
    Or I get a bike that is similar and will keeps it value so I can just sell it.

This. But don't expect any bike to keep its value..
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    The Trek ticks all the boxes. When your contract is up bring it home and if you want you can replace the Tiagra with whatever Gruppo you fancy.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • ddraver
    Given that your Cube is already and "Endurance Road" bike I'd go for something full gravel.

Fun over here through the dunes (depends where in NL you live mind) and "MTB trails" and also potentially much more of a useful bike in the UK when you return.

Other wise go full aero race and slam the stem for proper dutch wind cheating...
    - @ddraver
  • equinefunk
    I never see much about the Defy....what is is like https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bikes/ro ... ack_381952
  • ddraver
    ...same as yur Cube...
    - @ddraver
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Stretch the budget a little and go Ti. Will ride and feel different to your existing bike even if the geo is similar. Plus Ti bikes hold their value pretty well compared to carbon.
  • sorry to re-open this thread, I've just got a new job in the Netherlands with work until at least December 2020 (brexit thing). In the spring and summer I will ride to work which is 25km each, so I'm looking to get a bike, I'm in 2 minds on what to do..
    1 - bring my Cube GTC Attain Pro over here and get a replacement back in the Uk. Thinking Cannondale Synapse Ultegra or Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1. For my bike in the UK my budget is around 2k
    2 - get a bike over here, but it will need to mudguard compatible. Looking at Wiggle's Orro Terra Gravel Racing and did look at the Vitus Venon and Planet X London Road. For this bike my budget is 1.2k

In the summer I will be going out for social rides with the guys from the office, which is putting me off the Orro. I was thinking an endurance bike as they are a bit more upright for the commute and generally more likely to take mudguards.
    But any recommendations would be good.

Thanks in advance
  • Where in the Netherlands?

Bear in mind most of it is completely flat, so a bike with 11 speed and all the frills is a rather useless toy, which can and probably will be stolen in all but the smallest hamlets.
    I lived in Amsterdam for 2 years and had as many bikes stolen, despite using hefty locks.

A folder is a safer bet, as you can take it with you to the office... a folder will also allow you to travel on the train between cities, which in Holland is very handy, given the network is ace.

Otherwise get a cheap bike that you don't mind having stolen, but in that case your budget is excessive
    left the forum March 2023
  • Thanks...I work in Schiedam and live in Den Haag during the week I have worked here for 3 years, so I know the risks and that it's flat.. I don't want to do a 25k ride on a folder...I have a cheapo town bike for a night out and getting to and from the train stations when I'm not riding. I have secure parking for my bike inside my flat and my office. So getting it stolen is not a significant risk.
  • equinefunk wrote:
    Thanks...I work in Schiedam and live in Den Haag during the week I have worked here for 3 years, so I know the risks and that it's flat.. I don't want to do a 25k ride on a folder...I have a cheapo town bike for a night out and getting to and from the train stations when I'm not riding. I have secure parking for my bike inside my flat and my office. So getting it stolen is not a significant risk.

Typical prejudice.

I cycle 20 km on my way to work on a Brompton and it's not flat and it's absolutely fine. Speed is very similar to that of a road bike.

That said, if you have lived there for 3 years, have the arrangements sorted and clearly know the area best that anybody on here, I really don't understand why you are asking for advice :roll:
  • Prejudice towards folding bikes?
    In general no....specifically for this purpose yes, as I will be going out for rides with the guys from the office after work. So with those on Road Bikes and me on a folding bike I don't think it's going to tick that box. I couldn't ride a Brompton at the same speed as a road bike over a 25k ride.

My request was for recommendations on Road bikes that would be suitable with mudguards.
  • equinefunk wrote:
    Prejudice towards folding bikes?
    In general no....specifically for this purpose yes, as I will be going out for rides with the guys from the office after work. So with those on Road Bikes and me on a folding bike I don't think it's going to tick that box. I couldn't ride a Brompton at the same speed as a road bike over a 25k ride.

My request was for recommendations on Road bikes that would be suitable with mudguards.

OK so you need a road bike... all the background about Holland, the commute and whatnot is completely irrelevant.

Just get a road bike which can take mudguards... my Dolan Dual can for example
  • thanks for the recommendation
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Ritchey Breakaway - folder so you can carry it around easily but its a proper bike.

Will hold its value

Is very cool

Its a keeper

Sorted
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • equinefunk wrote:
    thanks for the recommendation