Vegetable Growing.

FocusZing
FocusZing Posts: 4,373
edited January 2019 in The cake stop
I just thought I would start this thread to help during the post Brexit starvation peroid.

I don't think the common cabbage will be in short supply, tomatoes and lettuce look like a good start. Any varieties worth trying?

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    FocusZing wrote:
    I just thought I would start this thread to help during the post Brexit starvation peroid.

I don't think the common cabbage will be in short supply, tomatoes and lettuce look like a good start. Any varieties worth trying?
    Just get them from Iceland* then you can stockpile veg.

* the store not the country
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • FocusZing
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:

Frozen Tomatoes, lettuce?
  • FocusZing wrote:

Won’t be ready until summer so you will probably have died of scurvy by then. Any survivors would be very thankful so maybe plant stuff to get them through winter.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing wrote:

Won’t be ready until summer so you will probably have died of scurvy by then. Any survivors would be very thankful so maybe plant stuff to get them through winter.

Yeah, death by scurvy sounds like a lot less hassle. Cheers Commuter.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    FocusZing wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:

Beggars can't be choosers.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • FocusZing
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:

Beggars can't be choosers.

They do say the devil is in the detail.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    digforvictoryBIG.jpg

As can be seen, all good BRITISH vegetables, no fancy foreign stuff that tries to take over. (Brussels sprouts can be regarded as a miniature cabbage until the name change - Brexit Sprouts - is ratified)
  • FocusZing
    Robert88 wrote:
    digforvictoryBIG.jpg

As can be seen, all good BRITISH vegetables, no fancy foreign stuff that tries to take over. (Brussels sprouts can be regarded as a miniature cabbage until the name change - Brexit Sprouts - is ratified)

Ha, good effort.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    Not sure what you are worried about. Glasgow has been living on processed meat and fried potatoes for years. Sure it reduces your life expectancy but I am sure the southern softies can give it a go for a few months until Tarquin can get her mangetout out of season with out significantly cutting your life short. Go on enjoy yourself with chips and cheese and a kebab twice a day.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Better off getting guns surely? Then you can source all the veg you need from your neighbours and not have the faff of growing it yourself.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Robert88 wrote:

As a name I think that that misses the opportunity to honour one of the great people who have created our brave new world.

Fancy a plate of Mogg Sprouts? Or some Vegetable Johnsons?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Rolf F wrote:
    Better off getting guns surely? Then you can source all the veg you need from your neighbours and not have the faff of growing it yourself.

Excellent idea, and by eating your neighbours, protein is sorted out too.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Back on topic If you have a greenhouse I can recommend Floridity tomatoes. Dwarf plum vine type, lots of fruit and very tasty. Just don't plant them out too early! Always found glasshouse cucumbers surprisingly easy too.
    Never had any success with lettuce; if the slugs and snails don't eat them they start bolting before I think they are big enough to cut. Either that or the weather turns distinctly un salad-like just as we have a glut of the things.
    Beetroot and carrots are always good too; fleece the latter to keep carrot fly out though.
    Climbing french beans are also pretty productive if you keep watering and picking them. We also grow Charlotte potatoes because they are good boiled as new potatoes and also make good potato salad, but then keep well in the ground for use throughout the summer and well into autumn till the first frosts.
  • Bread flour, yeast, beans, frozen pre-fried eggs, bacon, crate of pot noddles. job done.
  • don't forget bulk supply of toilet rolls.
    As blackmarket currency they will be the new cigarettes and silk stockings.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    That chart above has Savoys on it! GTF, furrin' names like that. Bring on the chlorinated chicken ar5es

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47036119

At least with substance pumped beef all Brits can do a Contador. Yeah, Take Back Control....and give it to the Yanquis.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,435
    just eat the vegetables that voted leave, solves two problems
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    sungod wrote:
    just eat the vegetables that voted leave, solves two problems

I suspect they will taste far too bitter to be edible.