Hangar mech screw

foo606
foo606 Posts: 113
edited January 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all .Anyone know the size of the rear mech hanger screw .Im not sure if its Allen key or Torx .Mines come loose and wanted to renew it .Hangers fine .Just the screw .
Thanks .
BTW its on the Titus El Chulo frame .

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    It does not matter whether it is Allen or Torx, completely irrelevant in fact. What matters is the thread, the length and the shape of the head. If you cannot get a spare from the places that sell your type of bike, then find someone with the same bike and check their bolt. Only then will you know what to get.

By the way, do you mean the bolt that holds the hanger to the frame, or the bolt that holds the mech to the hanger?
  • foo606
    Well I need to remove it to put a new one in.
    Its the screw that attaches the hanger to the frame m2 iirc .
    But i need to remove it first but cant remember if it torx or allen key Thats the info I need not the size of the bolt .
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Can’t you just look at it and tell whether it’s a torx or allen head?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    just look at it and choose the correct size and style of key.

If you dont have Hex and Torx keys in a variety of sizes buy two sets, theyll all come in useful eventually
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    Why is it 'loose'? Is the thread damaged (on either the bolt or the frame)? Will it not tighten again?

I'd be inclined to pick this up - you get the bolt and a spare hanger. However before I did that I'd want to know why the current one is loose and if a new bolt would actually fix it.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    I don't see why you would need a new one either. If it's loose tighten it and make sure the thread is OK. Check the hanger isn't bent in anyway. I doubt you'll get a screw on it's own anywhere. Maybe if you ask Planet X nicely they might oblige, but chances are you'll have to get a replacement hanger that comes with the screw. If you do just look at it you should be able to work out whether it's torx or not. From the planet X website pics it's an allen key.
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)
  • steve_sordy
    An Allen head has a hexagon shaped hole in it
    A Torx head has a star shaped hole in it.

Torx are more common amongst the smaller diameter bolts because there is more contact between the key and the bolt,therefore less chance of rounding off the hole. But on larger bolts, the Torx format is harder to form than the Allen format, so the Allen is more common.
  • foo606
    Its just unscrewed out of the frame oddly .Hangers not bent I have sets of both allen and torx but nothing seem to just catch .It seem like a torx
    Its a very short bolt a longer one would be more beneficial .And yes the only way to get one is a new hanger mech from Planet x .it maybe stripped but til I remove it a I dont know .
  • Vino'sGhost
    foo606 wrote:
    Its just unscrewed out of the frame oddly .Hangers not bent I have sets of both allen and torx but nothing seem to just catch .It seem like a torx
    Its a very short bolt a longer one would be more beneficial .And yes the only way to get one is a new hanger mech from Planet x .it maybe stripped but til I remove it a I dont know .
    I thought you said it had unscrewed from the frame already?

Do you need to remove it or not? There are inconsistencies in your calls for help. Do you want help with your bike or just attention?
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    Is it perhaps that the bolt has come loose but the problem is that the drive hole is somehow knackered, or OP doesn't have the right tool, so has no way of engaging a tool with the bolt? If the drive hole is knackered then yes, a new bolt is needed if you can get the old one out. Sometimes tapping a slightly oversized Torx bit into the bolt will allow you to remove it.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • slc123
    I have exactly the frame on my HT as the OP, I will have a look tonight for you. It would only "unscrew" if you had stripped the thread on either the bolt or the thread. Depending on what it is the Torx or Allen would definitely work unless you've rounded out the bolt. I really can't see how the problem you are describing has arisen.

Perhaps some photos would be useful to help diagnose?
  • foo606
    Right the problem is the bolt has disengaged from the frame
    Its stuck in the hanger mech and I have tried allen and torx still to no avail ,options please .
    I have a through axle so if I remove the back wheel the hanger comes away and the deraileur drops . I really need to fix this asap No its a genuine problem not seeking Attention .
    I dont think the heads knackered just what ever Allen bit Im using 2.5 mm just not catching enough to remove it .
  • JBA
    If the bolt has unscrewed and the head is sticking out from the hanger you should be able to unscrew it using a pair of pliers or molegrips.

Can you post a pucture of it?

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • foo606
    thing is the head is flush with the hanger .
  • steve_sordy
    foo606 wrote:
    I dont think the heads knackered just what ever Allen bit Im using 2.5 mm just not catching enough to remove it .

2.5mm Allen seems very small for a mech hanger bolt.
  • foo606
    the 3mm is too big as well . If the mech hanger is not threaded I can tap it out from the frame side as The mounting hole goes through the frame .
    Use of a thin pick I have a few .So lets get it out and see what it is . I will replace with a longer bolt .
  • foo606
    foo606 wrote:

2.5mm Allen seems very small for a mech
    hanger bolt.

Well it might not be the original bolt . Think it could be one out of my bits box .But I think it is the one supplied with the frame .
  • foo606
    Resolved .Spent the day off work so got to grips . The head was goosed .
    So I drilled out the bolt for now cable tied the hanger to the frame .New bolt all should be well .
  • Vino'sGhost
    what complete bollox.
  • JBA
    How can the bolt have unthreaded from the drop out, still be in place in the hanger and the hanger not be bent?
    Something doesn't add up there.

• foo606
    what complete bollox.
    pardon but thats exactly what I did .Keep your opinions to your self if not helpful .
  • foo606
    JBA wrote:
    How can the bolt have unthreaded from the drop out, still be in place in the hanger and the hanger not be bent?
    Something doesn't add up there.
    Yes was threaded in the hanger mech but not the frame .Reckon the bolt was too sort to actually screw in deep enough for purchase
  • slc123
    edited January 2019
    foo606 wrote:
    Yes was threaded in the hanger mech but not the frame .Reckon the bolt was too sort to actually screw in deep enough for purchase

How the hell did it all stay together then or have you not ridden it? I am not ruling anything out, but does sound a bit strange that:

a) Titus (planet X) would ship you a frame with a screw that was too short?
    b) How did the head on the bolt become "goosed" if you haven't touched it?
    c) The hanger hasn't bent whilst you've been riding it?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    foo606 wrote:
    Yes was threaded in the hanger mech but not the frame .R
    It wouldn't ever be threaded in both or it can't tighten and pull them together!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Vino'sGhost
    foo606 wrote:
    what complete bollox.
    pardon but thats exactly what I did .Keep your opinions to your self if not helpful .

My opinion doesnt seem to be the only one thats calling bollox
  • foo606
    foo606 wrote:
    what complete bollox.

Well ok dippy if thats the way were going .Hanger bolt disengaged from frame not ruling out on assembly by myself wasnt attached into the frame properly .You lot aint reading or Im not explaining this for dumn folk .
    head wrong size bit used easy done .Drilled out.Will replace hanger . Then I will truly now if its threaded through hanger to frame .
  • foo606
    But was ridden extensively for the past 8 months no issues .The hangers not bent I may have used the wrong bit initially as it wasnt installed on the frame when I purchased from Planet X
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    foo606 wrote:
    Well ok dippy if thats the way were going .Hanger bolt disengaged from frame not ruling out on assembly by myself wasnt attached into the frame properly .You lot aint reading or Im not explaining this for dumn folk .
    head wrong size bit used easy done .Drilled out.Will replace hanger . Then I will truly now if its threaded through hanger to frame .

Apart from your almost incoherent rambling and shaky grammar, if you're going to call people dumb, at least try and spell dumb correctly.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Vino'sGhost
    foo606 wrote:
    foo606 wrote:
    what complete bollox.

Well ok Dippy, if that's the way we're going .Hanger bolt disengaged from frame not ruling out on assembly by myself wasnt attached into the frame properly .You lot aint reading or Im not explaining this for dumn folk .

I was going to correct the rest of your drivel but frankly your tantrum makes little or no sense and serves very little purpose other than to reinforce my opinion that your issue is make believe and you're here for attention.

I hope you find my opinion helpful and I hope for society as a whole you get a dawning realisation that you need help.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just to add, the full stop comes after the last letter in the sentence, then the space (or 2 if doing it properly - one space after a comma, 2 after a full stop and 3 at the start of a new paragraph if you're being picky) not the other way round. Don't thank me, happy to help.

From all you've put it sounds like you're describing a problem that is in your perception but isn't actually an issue at all.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.