Films I wish I hadn’t bought and can’t unsee

slowmart
slowmart Posts: 4,474
edited February 2019 in The cake stop
So as a counterpoint to the great films thread I’ve just spent a £10 on “The Predator “

Ok I wasn’t expecting much but it’s dire.

Weak story, awful script and pretty painful effects.

Save your cash
“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu

Comments

• big_harv
    big_harv Posts: 512
    I discovered early on that anything with Jim Carrey in it was ok if you'd had a few beers but not so good otherwise.
  • bonk_king
    bonk_king Posts: 277
    Big Harv wrote:
    I discovered early on that anything with Jim Carrey in it was ok if you'd had a few beers but not so good otherwise.

He's not that good even with the beers to be honest!
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Brave heart
    Pearl Harbour
    The Sicilian
    The Deadly Affair

Most recent
    Homes and Watson
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    "Vanilla Sky" - an old film now but I still bear the scars. Unfathomable sh***e.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • trivial_poursuivant
    trivial_poursuivant Posts: 1,136
    edited January 2019
    Heat - with Al Pacino and Robert de Niro.

Had so much hype. Was one of the few movies I actually walked out of it was soooooo slow.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,164
    At least I didn't buy it, but 'The Human Centipede' is one film where I wish curiosity hadn't got the better of me.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    The Men Who Stare At Goats

I have never walked out of a film before it’s ended but this one pushed me closest! It had though the most people I’ve seen walk out of a film, 28.

I’m occasionally tempted to watch it again just to see if it is as awful as I remember but I can’t bring myself to do it
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Alice by Woodt Allen is the only film Ive walked out of. Not paid money to watch his films since.
    Apparently he doesn't watch his own films either. So he at least he has one thing in common with his audience
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Heat - with Al Pacino and Robert dear Niro.

Had so much hype. Was one of the few movies I actually walked out of it was soooooo slow.

The problem I had with that film was Pacino. His attempts at manic wide-eyed scenes just reek of an actor acting. For someone that well respected he can be below average sometimes.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    To continue the subject (although I'm not sure I've ever bought any of these), any film that has John Malkovich in it. One of the most overrated single gear actors ever to be on film. He's the same in everything, whether playing a madman or someone in a period drama it is only ever his clothes that change.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    mfin wrote:
    To continue the subject (although I'm not sure I've ever bought any of these), any film that has John Malkovich in it. One of the most overrated single gear actors ever to be on film. He's the same in everything, whether playing a madman or someone in a period drama it is only ever his clothes that change.

True, but Con Air is possibly the greatest leave your brain at the door film made!
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    mfin wrote:

The problem I had with that film was Pacino. His attempts at manic wide-eyed scenes just reek of an actor acting. For someone that well respected he can be below average sometimes.

It annoys me when people equate Pacino's talent with De Niro's. De Niro is by far the better actor. He appears in some duds, but generally he puts in the effort to make a distinctive character. Pacino has been in Scarface mode for nearly 40 years, just dialling up or down the mania depending on the genre.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    mfin wrote:

whilst it wasnt made clear in the film, Hanna is supposed to be high on cocaine for the whole story, which is what all the manic stuff is about.

but Id argue both leading actors have been phoning in their performances for some years now, although not in Heat which I think is a modern classic :) but De Niro is just playing variations of Jimmy the Gent even in his comedy roles, I guess its part of being hollywood elite, they get offered film roles now not for their acting talents, but essentially because they bring that baggage of those previous roles, that sells a film to an audience based on a shorthand with their expectations. A bit like Clint Eastwood who has just been playing iterations of slowly growing old Harry Callahan for 30 years
  • A Serbian film
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Big Harv wrote:
    I think he could be a phenomenal badfie, but needs very, very strong direction

It's just a hill. Get over it.