Correct hanger or wrong one?

KevinA
KevinA Posts: 492
edited January 2019 in Workshop
Hi

I am trying to replace a rear mech hanger and finding that the screw is either not fitting the derailleur or it’s difficult

I phoned the retailer for the bike and they said it’s the right hanger and sent me one out but once I’ve attached the hanger to the frame I can’t screw the derailleur on

Is it the wrong hanger?

I have a cervelo s2 with a long shimano Lugers hanger

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Mech bolts are pretty standard so...?

A picture maybe.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • KevinA
    Got pics up here as I can’t upload to bikeradar as easily

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/rear- ... st-5514496
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Well, that picture looks like the derailleur bolt has been butchered! What’s the thread the other side like? Really looks to me like the derailleur may be goosed.

PP
  • KevinA
    The screw fits through the gap when the hanger isn’t in the middle but I can align it to get the screw through all holes
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'm struggling to see why any mech wouldn't fit any hanger ?

Isn't it the same thread on all hangers and mechs ?

How did you break it?
  • KevinA
    Just posted a pic of the two hangers,

They are completely different ones so the thread/sizing could be different

Slipped on ice and when trying to get my balance the bike went over onto a ledge
  • Haven’t you unscrewed the wrong bolt? The silver one that is still in the broken hanger is the one that screws in your new hanger, you’ve unscrewed part of the clutch mechanism. Could be wrong I use SRAM.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    KevinA wrote:
    Just posted a pic of the two hangers,

They are completely different ones so the thread/sizing could be different

Slipped on ice and when trying to get my balance the bike went over onto a ledge

Ooh bugger.

Well I've never heard of a different thread or sizing issue when mounting a mech and I've been doing it for almost 40 years. Have you cross threaded it maybe ?

Obviously you do get different hangers but you can put any mech in at this stage.
  • So I’ve posted across the mech hanger picture and circled the offending bit which is part of the derailleur. Circled in red.

33003890348_e98dde436e_z.jpg
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Ok this is simple.

Get a large plastic bag,
    Put your tools in them
    Put in bin and never ever hold a hex key again.
  • The OPs bike cut across from cyclechat and shimano stock pic, I blame Wheelbase!

46154512554_7478952ede_z.jpg

46827281772_d52111ff36_z.jpg
  • Vino'sGhost
    More helpfully

You may have screwed up the thread in the new hanger. If it’s not too bad you can repair it by cleaning it up with a tap.

I would go in from the back where the thread is less likely to have been damaged and should give you a clean start.

Clean all the crap out of it first. From memory it’s a 10 by 1mm one you need which is superfine so you’re unlikely to have one in a non bike specific set of taps .

Good luck
  • Vino'sGhost
    Sandyballs wrote:
    The OPs bike cut across from cyclechat and shimano stock pic, I blame Wheelbase!

46154512554_7478952ede_z.jpg

46827281772_d52111ff36_z.jpg

I think the lbs mechanic isn’t going to be out of a job any time soon
  • The hanger is the cheapest bit, my concern is that the derailleur thread is damaged. I’m sure the bolt from the mech that has been tried into the hanger will also be very specific to the derailleur as well. Not using Shimano I’ve never striped this type of mech.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Also I hope when the op realises what he’s done that he removes his negative comment about the bike shop on the other site.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Sandyballs wrote:
    The hanger is the cheapest bit, my concern is that the derailleur thread is damaged. I’m sure the bolt from the mech that has been tried into the hanger will also be very specific to the derailleur as well. Not using Shimano I’ve never striped this type of mech.

Quite possible it is. It might be an expensive day for the op.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    They walk among us.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Vino'sGhost
    philthy3 wrote:
    They walk among us.

:)

He certainly won’t be riding :lol:
  • pilot_pete
    Here’s the picture he first linked to above;
    1-CC0-D29-E-44-AB-4-A95-84-BE-1930-D60-E9-AA1.jpg

My god what a mess! I suspect the derailleur is donald ducked and the hanger thread too. :cry:

PP
  • pilot_pete
    If it’s not too bad you can repair it by cleaning it up with a tap.

for clarity, exactly who are you referring to as ‘you’ in that sentence? :shock:

I suspect the OP should steer clear of any taps other than the one to wash his hands of this debacle! :wink:

PP
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Here's the technology at root cause of the confusion:

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/technolo ... lleur.html