Zee Rear Mech

ed1973
ed1973 Posts: 284
edited January 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
So I have a bit of cash burning a hole in my pocket and was looking at an upgrade. I currently run a 10speed shimano m786 (shadow plus) rear mech using a deore shifter, goat link and sunrace 11-46 cassette.
So if I were to buy a zee rear mech:
Would it be compatible?
Would it actually be an upgrade?
Would it work?
Any thoughts?

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Unless your mech isn't working - you won't notice anything. Even if it is compatible. (no idea)
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    It's not compatible. Zee is designed for DH bikes, and features a very short cage. Your 11-46 cassette needs a mech with 35t capacity, which Zee does not have.
  • ed1973
    whyamihere wrote:
    It's not compatible. Zee is designed for DH bikes, and features a very short cage. Your 11-46 cassette needs a mech with 35t capacity, which Zee does not have.
    Thanks for the responses.
    Back to the drawing board.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    An XT M780 shifter would be a decent upgrade. Noticeably smoother and lighter action than a Deore shifter.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • ed1973
    JBA wrote:
    An XT M780 shifter would be a decent upgrade. Noticeably smoother and lighter action than a Deore shifter.
    Nice one, thanks for this.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As above, a Zee would be a downgrade even if it were suitable, a better shifter would be my first move on that spec.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    JBA wrote:

Or even better xtr that is silky smooth shifting with one of those but I have paired it with the xtr rear mech so that's probably why.

Also changing the gear cable will make an big improvement, I recently fitted one of them ptfe ones whether that will add anything to the mix either.