sungod Posts: 16,523
edited January 2019 in The bottom bracket
'ning

office much coffee, many webexes, bail early, need more frozen lake
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,861
    Last night was a local special to counteract it a nice steady run this morning with the hound. Now off for meetings in an office too far from home

Later is local for the last night with the eldest before he goes off snowboarding
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, I prefer the cold dry weather to the rain we have this morning, I would like to get out on the bike I am fed up with the rollers
    Out for a few drinks later does anyone really do this dry January thing?
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,144
    edited January 2019
    Morning

Blimey it's warm this morning, 11 degrees at 5:30am according to phone. No rain here, funnily enough some patches of snow still lingering around too.

Waiting to see if a half marathon opens up some extra spaces this morning, while attending the place known as work.
  • Ning, on the bus.. dentist pm to get my teeth kicked in.
  • sungod
    surprise soggy ride to gmc, ugh, cold and dry is indeed preferable
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Damp start no frost Geese were indifferent. general Friday office activities, as in sod all. Likely oversee (as in watch an laugh) a desk reshuffle.
    Sought opinion from the OH on purchasing a new bike, agreements have been made so that green light has been lit. Wont be till other end of the year so she will of forgotten by then!.

Onward to Anana's and café!
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    sungod wrote:
    surprise soggy ride to gmc, ugh, cold and dry is indeed preferable

I didn't realise you communted on your bicycle sungod. I imagined you had a driver pick you up, and take you to gmc via the Wolseley, where you breakfast on much coffee and warm pastries of the highest quality, whilst perusing a freshly ironed new York times.

I think Pinno calls this morning's weather "smurry" or some such dialect. Gets you wetter than you think, despite not being obviously very wet. I remembered to clip on my guards, wore my magic waterproof and had gt85'd, wiped down and re-lubed my chain with wet lube last night, so nothing to worry about from my point of view except damp legs.
  • hopkinb
    Calling all you mechanically-minded bottom bracketeers...

When changing from 4th sprocket to 5th sprocket, it doesn't happen immediately, and might take up to a couple of turns of the cranks to effect the change, and if I click again, it'll immediately shift to the 6th sprocket. It's only from 4th to 5th, and not all the time. Chain is at 0.75% stretch, so needs to be changed, and I know it's a link or two too short, rear derailleur cable was changed about 6 weeks ago. Should I just bite the bullet, get the bike up on the stand, change the chain, make sure it's the correct length and re-index? Or do I need a new bike?
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,561
    hopkinb wrote:
    Calling all you mechanically-minded bottom bracketeers...

When changing from 4th sprocket to 5th sprocket, it doesn't happen immediately, and might take up to a couple of turns of the cranks to effect the change, and if I click again, it'll immediately shift to the 6th sprocket. It's only from 4th to 5th, and not all the time. Chain is at 0.75% stretch, so needs to be changed, and I know it's a link or two too short, rear derailleur cable was changed about 6 weeks ago. Should I just bite the bullet, get the bike up on the stand, change the chain, make sure it's the correct length and re-index? Or do I need a new bike?
    :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

You need to ask? You should already have a new one sitting in the spare room as a back-up for just such eventualities as some *slightly* dodgy shifting on your daily driver.

Also, check cable tension on new rear one. Might be just a teensy bit off if new-ish.

But yes, new bike, obvs.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,321
    Hoppy

viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=13084278

There is some play in the system somewhere.
    Usually when adjusting the rear mech, you put the chain in the middle and get it running smoothly from there. If it goes up or down cleanly from your chosen starting point, then it's usually okay through the whole cassette.
    So. I would suggest using barrel adjusters to try and get a clean shift from 4th either way.
    See if the 4th and 5th sprocket is worn. They are probably the 3 gears you use most of the time (4,5,6?).

Does the shift feel spongy?
    Does the chain ride between cogs?
    Is there over flexing of the gear cable outer from chain stay to mech? Is the cable seated properly at this point?
    Is it seated from handlebar to down tube properly?

Problems going up (i'e 4th to 5th and 6th to 7th etc) are usually caused by a slightly slack cable.
    Oh, and have a look at the BB cable guide and see of there is a build up of muck at this point.

No geese here just much anticipated coffee and cake.

Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • hopkinb
    Thanks chaps. Excellent guide Pinno.

Yes, I pull away in the 4th sprocket, then most riding is done in 5,6,7. That'll be the part of the cassette that's worn. There well probably also be a ton of crap on the BB guide, given filthy roads. I'll give it a proper clean and a re-index, and if that doesn't work, I'll have to dig into the spares box.

Also new bike. Must work on making space for that. I fancy custom steel with etap.
  • sungod
    hopkinb wrote:
    I didn't realise you communted on your bicycle sungod. I imagined you had a driver pick you up, and take you to gmc via the Wolseley, where you breakfast on much coffee and warm pastries of the highest quality, whilst perusing a freshly ironed new York times.
    capitalism is ok, but bloated capitalists are another matter, one must do some activity to offset the feasting and quaffing, plus it's much faster :)
  • hopkinb wrote:

Yes, I pull away in the 4th sprocket, then most riding is done in 5,6,7. That'll be the part of the cassette that's worn. There well probably also be a ton of crap on the BB guide, given filthy roads. I'll give it a proper clean and a re-index, and if that doesn't work, I'll have to dig into the spares box.

Also new bike. Must work on making space for that. I fancy custom steel with etap.
    it's the cable and the outer. often a the lube can go off and stay as a claggy deposit on the liner. plenty of lube and whizz it in and out as much as you can.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,459
    hopkinb wrote:

Surely as a City worker the standard procedure is ride to work, drop bike off at nearest bike shop, recover bike after work nicely fettled and chuck 'em a few quid?

Rode in and regretted not going yesterday instead as it was a bit soggy and my waterproofs are totally waterproof. Now stuffing my face with extra rations to make up the shortfall.

More Brexit meetings at work this morning, we're getting quite good at playing 'pin the tail on the donkey'. At least it's nearly the weekend and apart from the prospect of getting out-dragged away from the lights by fully laden milk floats while driving my kid's car back from the dealer, we're off to a mate's 50th bash tomorrow night - he's Irish and the beer will be free :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If I get hesitant shifts in the middle of the cassette the first things I check are the short loop of outer to the rear mech and the BB cable guide.

All my cables are external so I can relube them fairly well in situ. Change into the biggest sprocket then without turning the pedals, pull on the inner wire a bit and click the shifter all the way to what would be the smallest. That way you end up with a very slack inner cable and you can unseat the bit of outer from the frame stops etc and slide it along to allow inspection / cleaning / greasing.

Occasionally I'll just fit a new bit of outer there since it's usually the first thing to get gunked up. It's right in the firing like for all the crap thrown up by both wheels.
  • Gnashers dentisted, tested in maccaD's, no point going back to work now so off home.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    Afternoon folks,
    Drove in today for a variety of reasons, the most annoying of which is that another bike was nicked out of our bike shed yesterday. Although my bike has 2 strong locks I'm worried that the scrotes might return with better tools.
    Busy morning of work stuff only interrupted by making tea or coffee, thankfully got the urgent stuff done in time to get to the cafe. Now dealing with tedium and enquiries before early bail to meet the Mrs in a pub.
    H³ presumably you mean changing down to a smaller sprocket, gunked up cable or guide could delay the shift. Once the shift is done does the chain run quietly? Are you bringing your wheel over this weekend? Sunday is best if you're driving as there's no resident's parking. I need to do a spoke on my hack as well so all the kit will be out. Give me a shout.
    Onwards and upwards...