Sunrace 10 Speed 11-46 Cassette

1340jas
1340jas Posts: 217
edited March 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
I hope someone can help, I've searched the forums and can't find an answer.
I just bought a Sunrace 10 Speed cassette 11-46 Tooth and cannot use my XT rear Mech which is a Shimano XTRDM786GSL medium length cage. The Mech has not got enough clearence between it and the Largest gear.
Has anyone used this cassette and if so with which derailleur?
Or any other advice would be most welcome.
I forgot to mention, I am running a single 30T front ring.
thanks
Jas

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You need a mech hanger extender like a goatlink (similar on eBay from £3) or a modified cage. At a push you may get away with fitting a longer B-screw.

Your rear mech was never designed to go with a 46t sprocket.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ed1973
    ed1973 Posts: 284
    1340jas wrote:
    I hope someone can help, I've searched the forums and can't find an answer.
    I just bought a Sunrace 10 Speed cassette 11-46 Tooth and cannot use my XT rear Mech which is a Shimano XTRDM786GSL medium length cage. The Mech has not got enough clearence between it and the Largest gear.
    Has anyone used this cassette and if so with which derailleur?
    Or any other advice would be most welcome.
    I forgot to mention, I am running a single 30T front ring.
    thanks
    Jas
    Does the mech say Shadow plus on it? If so you have 2 options
    1. Get a longer ‘b’ screw and use this to pull the mech back further
    2. Get a mech hanger extender like a wolf tooth goat link but make sure the one you get is specifically for mountain bikes
    Hope this helps
  • 1340jas
    I have been looking at the Goat Link but the 10 speed says up to 42T and the 11 speed up to 46. As I have a 46T cassette could I fit the 11 speed? ie. will it fit the 10 speed mech?
  • ed1973
    ed1973 Posts: 284
    1340jas wrote:
    I have been looking at the Goat Link but the 10 speed says up to 42T and the 11 speed up to 46. As I have a 46T cassette could I fit the 11 speed? ie. will it fit the 10 speed mech?
    I have the exact same set up and the 10 speed works fine with mine.
    Try a longer b screw first as it’s a much cheaper option
    You can pick them up on that famous auction site
  • 1340jas
    Ed1973 wrote:
    1340jas wrote:
    I have the exact same set up and the 10 speed works fine with mine.
    Try a longer b screw first as it’s a much cheaper option
    You can pick them up on that famous auction site

Thanks for that, I was told I couldn't use a longer B screw as I had the longest and wound all the way in.
    I'll order a Goat Link and see how that goes.
  • 898kor
    898kor Posts: 81
    The M7000 Shimano SLX will cater for 46t (I have one on a 50t) - about £45 from Chain reaction.
    Bossnut V2
    Levo FSR Comp
  • 1340jas
    898kor wrote:
    The M7000 Shimano SLX will cater for 46t (I have one on a 50t) - about £45 from Chain reaction.

Thanks, I take it that's the 10speed mech then with no goat link?

Do you have the long or medium cage?
  • 898kor
    Its an 11 speed Mech but it can be used with a 10 speed shifter to be on a 10 speed cassette - The Shimano shifters tend to be the same pull ratio on 10 and 11 speed (basically the shifter dictates how far it pulls and for how many times).

Ive have the SLX 11 speed mech on both a 10sp and 11sp cassettes on mine and one of the kids bikes. The 10 speed is using a 10sp Zee shifter and the 11 speed is using a SLX 11sp shifter.

Cage length does not matter on 1x setups (long cage for 2x 3x setups) - I have short cages but a long would work fine.
    Bossnut V2
    Levo FSR Comp
  • The Rookie
    Pull ratio 10-11 speed is different there is no ‘tend to be the same’ at all.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 898kor
    edited January 2019
    The Rookie wrote:
    Pull ratio 10-11 speed is different there is no ‘tend to be the same’ at all.

You are wrong or I have fallen very lucky - one of the two. The ratio is the same on Shimano 10sp and 11sp for shiamano Deore and SLX for sure. They are different between say Shimano and SRAM I agree. The shifter just dictates how many moves - the derailier is quite dumb, it has a linear movement between two set points and will stop where the shifter tells it to - be that for 10 or 11 clicks.

These are known to be true - I have them fitted and working on three bikes, this is empirical evidence, not theory:

The shimano zee 10 speed shifter and 10sp 11-46t sunrace cassette works with an M7000 SLX 11 speed rear mech

The shimano zee 10 speed shifter and 10sp 11-42t sunrace cassette works with an M7000 SLX 11 speed rear mech

The Shimano SLX 11 speed shifter and a sunrace 11sp 11-50t sunrace cassette work with M7000 SLX 11 speed rear mech
    Bossnut V2
    Levo FSR Comp
  • 898kor
    The "Zee" shifters were only picked because I could get them with handlebar clamps (not ispec) at a bargain price - those bikes have SRAM brakes. Turns out the Zee shifters are awesome, much more robust.
    Bossnut V2
    Levo FSR Comp
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Interesting that with the 11speed mech and 10speed shifter, I wonder if this would work on xt or xtr 11 speed and 10speed shifter.

I have already modified my setup with a radr cage works very well. Not sure if you can still buy them now everyone is on 11 or 12 speed.
  • 898kor
    swod1 wrote:
    Interesting that with the 11speed mech and 10speed shifter, I wonder if this would work on xt or xtr 11 speed and 10speed shifter.

I have already modified my setup with a radr cage works very well. Not sure if you can still buy them now everyone is on 11 or 12 speed.

I like the radr cage but the 11speed mech removed the need for them by copying what it does. Personally I think it will work with XT. The rule of thumb seems to be the Shifter needs to be the Same as the Cassette in number of gears. Which is not rocket science, the rear mech is just a slave to the shifter. The shifter tells the mech where to move and how far.

This post (about 2/3rds way down) has guys using XT and XTR in the same situation
    Bossnut V2
    Levo FSR Comp
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I am always amaze by what people think is a good mx and match. some peopel one here think campagnolo and shimano 10 speed cassettes are interchangeable and report no problems with shifting. they have different spacing.

shimano 10 speed mtb and 11 speed mtd shifter pull differing ammounts of cable - fact. the are noit interchangeable unless you accept so so shifting. some people do and think that will do.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • swod1
    I am always amaze by what people think is a good mx and match. some peopel one here think campagnolo and shimano 10 speed cassettes are interchangeable and report no problems with shifting. they have different spacing.

shimano 10 speed mtb and 11 speed mtd shifter pull differing ammounts of cable - fact. the are noit interchangeable unless you accept so so shifting. some people do and think that will do.

I wouldn't know about road bike stuff, no interest in it.

Don't think I've ever used a full shimano groupset always using a combination of parts together without any issues. Just found other products to work well and stuck with them especially chains KMC used for years now.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    that not what we are on about. 10 speed and 11 speed shifter pull differing ammount of cable so 10 speed and 11 speed MTB RD's cannot be mixed and matched. never mentioned anbything about chains. you can mix and match compatible stuff not the imcompatible kit.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • 898kor

This is not "so-so" shifting - its as good (and better than the SRAM GX) of any of the other bikes we have with dedicated group sets. Im not going to continue arguing the point - it works, perfectly well.

I will concede there is technically a difference in the distance of pull - its 0.2mm per pull - but its not enough in this case to make any difference - especially when only changing one or 2 gears at a time.

This article is goldmine of information
    Bossnut V2
    Levo FSR Comp
  • The Rookie
    So 0.2mm x 1.2 ratio x 9 clicks is a 2.16mm error across the cassette, over half the 3.95 sprocket pitch, that can only be so-so.
  • 898kor
    The Rookie wrote:
    So 0.2mm x 1.2 ratio x 9 clicks is a 2.16mm error across the cassette, over half the 3.95 sprocket pitch, that can only be so-so.

I get the maths - I really do - but my working example it makes no discernible difference for what ever reason. It is as smooth and reliable as the dedicated group-sets of our other bikes (both SRAM NX/GX and Shimano SLX).
    Bossnut V2
    Levo FSR Comp
  • the shimano slx m7000 mechs come in 10 and 11 speed versions check si.shimano for the correct part numbers and order what you need
  • swod1
    sanchez12 wrote:
    the shimano slx m7000 mechs come in 10 and 11 speed versions check si.shimano for the correct part numbers and order what you need

SLX m7000 is 11 speed only I thought.

It Deore m6000 that's 10speed as they brought out the hg500 11-42t cassette?
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    edited January 2019
    SLX M7000 rear mech' is available in 10-speed and 11-speed.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • 1340jas
    Thanks for all the help and input.
    I got the Gotlink and it needed a longer B-Screw.
    It's all set up now and appears to work well.
    I'm just waiting for the weekend now to go for a ride.
    At least I can use up all my 10speed chains.
    I'll think then about changing the whole lot for 11 speed.

Jas
  • I have been considering the 10sp 11-46t sunrace cassette for my bike as I am considering converting from 2x9 to a 1x system. However I am looking to save cash because in the long run ill be looking to get a new bike in the next year.

The problem im having is my chain keeps coming off as soon as the trail gets a bit rough. I want to install a clutch mech to keep more tension on the chain as my current cheap mech doesnt do the job.

Can i match a 10spd clutch mech to my 9 speed castette or am i best off doing the full conversion?
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443

The problem im having is my chain keeps coming off as soon as the trail gets a bit rough. I want to install a clutch mech to keep more tension on the chain as my current cheap mech doesnt do the job.

A cheap and very simple way to stop your chain coming off is a chain device. I have tried a wide variety of them and I can 100% recommend the RSP Chain Director. Like this one for £13.19 from Tredz (If you buy £30 of stuff from Tredz, use FTN9ZTF6 to getv£5 off).

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.RSP-Chain-Dire ... gIX2fD_BwE

I don't know how they get away with it because it is a direct copy of the Bionicon Chain Device that costs three times as much. Read a review here: https://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/cate ... -12-46125/

I have used both and the ease of installation, operation, and life are the same. They not only keep your chain on, but they also stop the chain from striking your chainstay. Unlike many chain devices they work for 2x and 3x as well as 1x. They mount either to your chain stay or you can hang them from your gear cable. Just reverse and turn upside down the guide at intervals to get max life from the guide. You can buy replacement guides, but the only time I did so it cost £9 and it was a chinese copy and lasted 80 miles. I had a Bionicon at the time, but when you can buy the whole thing for £13, its not worth the hassle.
  • The Rookie
    Do you have a narrow wide chainring? that or a chainguide is crucial.
  • Thanks very much for your advice steve_sordy and The Rookie. I’ll be looking into both of these and hopefully save myself a lot of cash by not doing the full 1x conversion.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    If you have a narrow-wide front ring and a decent clutch mech then you should not need a chain device. But if you want to save money, then the chain device I pointed at is the way to go.
  • The Rookie
    I would suggest you don't need a clutch mech, I've been running just an NW ring for 3 years and never dropped a chain.

(well except when a tree branch got caught in the chain and lifted it off the chainring 2 weeks back, but a clutch wouldn't have saved that).

As I'm running a 9 speed mech I don't have the option of a damped mech.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Seconded that - clutch is nice in theory, but a NW chainring on its own should prevent the majority of situations where a chain guard would actually be needed. Though Steve's cheap device pointers are useful.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)