Brake rotor from 180>203?? What adaptor?!!

lvquestpaddler
lvquestpaddler Posts: 416
edited January 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
I've got Rockshox Pike 2017 OEM (SA)forks on my bike, which are 160mm post mount with "SM-MA-F180P/P2" adaptors holding XT M8000 calipers. I want to upgrade from 180mm to 203mm but all the searches I've done in the UK don't seem to do a PM160 to 203 rotor adaptor? I found this Aussie site which claims the "SM-MA-F203-PP" does the job. Yet UK sites seem to claim this is for PM 180 to 203mm and the Aussie site says to go from PM180 to 203mm it's the SM-MA-F203-PPM you need?!!

Very confused:

CRC link showing the adaptor:
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shi ... gJL8PD_BwE

Mountainbikes direct in Australia:
https://www.mountainbikesdirect.com.au/ ... escription

Has anyone else done this and can point me in the right direction? I don't doubt the Pikes can deal with the bigger rotors.

TIA

Comments

• slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    Yes, you can get them:

Hope do one: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brakes/blac ... -r-203-mm/

Shimano version, which I believe will fit too: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brakes/shim ... ork-mount/

They're not that common because generally forks that are designed to go up to 200/203 rotors will have a 180 post mount. I would question why you need 203s upfront. Are you running 180 at the back or 160?
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)
  • I was considering scaling up for extra stopping power as there's a fair bit of weight to stop lol... I was (and correct me if I'm wrong it could save me the money!!) thinking that by going to 203 I could buy normal steel rotors which are non ice-tech which are cheaper, and means I can get the non ice-tech pads to go with them which are about £5 a set not £15-20...
  • Thanks for the links BTW slc123.... I was put off CRC as they show the adaptor needed, but the one they state is 180-203 may well not be the one shown but the alternative one with "M" suffix that the Aussie site shows so not suitable....
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Ice Tech has nothing to do with stopping power unless you are hurtling down long hills at high speed for a long time.
    You can use ‘normal’ pads with Ice Tech rotors if you want. The brake pad material is the same.
    180mm front and 160mm rear should be more than adequate for all but the gnarliest of gnarly gnarcore riders, even the heavy ones.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    ^^^^ what he said ^^^^

180 front and 160 rear should be enough for most riding conditions.

You don't need to buy ice-tech pads - just buy normal ones!
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Only go above 180mm discs if your riding downhill or really aggressive terrain otherwise you wont benefit from the extra size.

my last full sus was 180mm discs both ends but on the rear that was too much for what riding I did. I'm back on a hardtail for a while and so have stuck with 180 front and 160mm rear.

your better option is changing the compound of the brake pads theres a lot of very good aftermarket pad options, semi metallic or race matrix from uber bike are very good.
  • Thanks for the advice... will probably just stick with the 180mm then (that's on the back too)...I was under the impression the pads had to be paired with the rotors but looks like they don't then.....cool
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    As mentioned previously try the Race Matrix pads from Uberbke if you want more powerful braking.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009