reverb bleed problem?

johnas7
johnas7 Posts: 39
edited January 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
Recently my reverb stealth dropper stopped working, was still under warranty so took it to bike shop, they sent if off for £20 and got it rebuilt. Went to install it, wouldnt work then realised the hose and come away from the barb that attaches to the seat post and all the oil had leaked out.
I then give it a bleed, and it worked perfectly, for about a min, then completely stopped.
Bled it again, worked again, then stopped. Not sure why, but seems like the oil has dissappeared which means must be a leak somewhere but cant seem to see where?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Why is your bike shop charging you to send of warranty work - that's their problem.

Sounds like it should go back, but now that you've messed with it...
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    cooldad wrote:
    Why is your bike shop charging you to send of warranty work - that's their problem.

Sounds like it should go back, but now that you've messed with it...

Does performing a bleed invalidate warranty? Id have thought it was a standard maintenance activity.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I wouldn't think so, but there seems to be more to it than a bleed.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • johnas7
    johnas7 Posts: 39
    the reverb came with my YT capra, took it to local bike shop that said it would cost £90 to service, i said it was still under warranty so they said they could send it back but i would have to pay for P & P. Got it back with a receipt from rockshox saying they had rebuilt it, but now having problems. I do have a brand XL dropper which has been spot on but thought i would use the reverb on a new hardtail i had recently purchased.
  • Get it sent back to Rockshox as it's clearly not right, and a simple bleed will not invalidate warranty as it's a standard maintenance activity.
    Boardman Pro FS 650b | Boardman Team 29er HT | Specialized Tricross Sport
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    If the item is under warranty the bike shop should not charge you to return it, as RS should reimburse them any costs for warranty work and postage. Personally, I think charging you £20 is taking the p!ss. Did you buy it from them? Are they a RS retailer? Or are they just charging you to send it back? (you could have done it cheaper yourself).

Don't try and fix it.

I'd contact RS direct, explain which bike shop sent it back and tell them you were charged £20 for the privilege. See what they say.

You shouldn't have to pay for warranty work and that includes postage.

EDIT - not sure if you bought it in store on on-line but the principe is the same:

"So, if your goods are faulty and don’t do what they're supposed to, or don’t match the description given, you have the same consumer rights under the Consumer Rights Act (which replaces the Sale of Goods Act from 1 October 2015) as you have when buying in store.

Any terms and conditions that say you must cover the cost of returning an item wouldn’t apply where the goods being returned are faulty."
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    I would agree with billycool. You shouldn’t be paying for them to send it back. They may have been reimbursed that postage anyway. I’ve had a couple of things fixed under warranty but I’ve always gone back to the manufacturer/distributor. Never paid for the postage and they’ve always been extremely helpful. Nothing from RS mind, but I’m pretty sure they will want to keep their reputation and will help you out.
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)