Whats the best thing todo...

D1RTM0NKEY
D1RTM0NKEY Posts: 19
edited January 2019 in MTB buying advice
Ok guys I know posted similar question poll time thing before but heres bit more of the my dilemma.

Right Currently own a Trek Roscoe 8 with some upgrades and athough its a nice bike etc it the Geometry on the front is a lil steep 68.3 I think, other wise fun bike handles most what ive ridden etc. Now I either upgrade this bike and change forks to 130 or 140 and that alter the Geo abit and I do love that colour.
Another thought is swap frame out to a Sonder Transmitter as its slacker and use all part on my Trek other than forks so would still need to get one. Third option is to Sell my trek and use that money and by putting some towards get the Commencal Meta am hardtail origin but then need to change drive train to 11 spd and bit average whats on it etc Plus would need a dropper go tubeless and brakes etc. so decisions etc but heres my story abit what effects this.
What i like to ride is love riding fast, railing berms,I enjoy Techical rock gardens and steep decents and some jumps and drops but nothing to big now as im in the later 40s mid age now too . Again why feel need abit slacker bike.
Do I really need 150mm travel on the Commencal or 140mm 130mm travel be fine on tthe other bikes.

I was working properly last year till Sept at a outdoors company and got made redundant etc. I found temp agency work and odd jobs but nothing reliable as didn’t end up having much work around Xmas time so have been on very lw income and that sucked plus my car broke so that needed fixing and cost abit which my missus had to fund. I am now starting a proper job this week yay but I owe me missus money a bit and she’s currently having to pay for every thing at the moment for me bless her as im behind on money front till I catch up, Im also on antidepressants at the mo. So all this adding to cant decide and make mind up and needing to catch up doing my and missus head in.
My Trek
https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/16544693/
The Commencal
https://www.commencal-store.co.uk/meta- ... 2x26307396
Sonder Transmitter frame
https://www.alpkit.com/sonder/bikes/son ... frame-only

So Options are;

A, keep my Trek and upgrade forks.
B, Swap out frame to a Sonder Transmitter and use all parts but get a fork.
C, Sell my Trek and get the Commencal and upgrade drive train, brakes, and dropper plus go tubeless over time.
D, Sell my bike and pay my missus what I owe.

Comments

• billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    edited January 2019
    Sorry to hear you've had a rough time.

My best suggestion would be to spend as little money as possible right now.

You have a job - settle into that, pay the missus what you owe her and then go from there. Keep the bike you have and make the most of it.

IF money is really tight then sell the bike. BUT - I would suggest that riding your bike would be good for your mental health and therefore better if you can keep it? As long as your missus can cope with staged payments etc then that would be a good compromise?

I don't think it would be fair on her to splash the cash on new stuff if you didn't really need it and owe her money.
    Fair enough if you think you can justify it as beneficial to your health and your missus agrees.

Try to get yourself onto an even keel - sort the debt and then plan on new bike/upgrades etc.

Well done on talking about it - not an easy thing to do. I'd just make sure your missus is on board with what you decide to do.

Exercise is the best anti-depressant in my opinion, so get out and ride!

PS - ref the `options`- if you really need to make changes right now, I'd probably just change the forks.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    100% agree with the reply from Billy Cool. :)
  • slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    I was writing a reply when BillyCool posted and mine was pretty much the same as his!

I wouldn't change anything. Not worth spending money for an extra 10mm of travel that won't make a big difference to the slackness either
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)
  • BillyCool wrote:
    Sorry to hear you've had a rough time.

My best suggestion would be to spend as little money as possible right now.

You have a job - settle into that, pay the missus what you owe her and then go from there. Kepep the bike you have and make the most of it.

IF money is really tight then sell the bike. BUT - I would suggest that riding your bike would be good for your mental health and therefore better if you can keep it? As long as your missus can cope with staged payments etc then that would be a good compromise?

I don't think it would be fair on her to splash the cash on new stuff if you didn't really need it and owe her money.
    Fair enough if you think you can justify it as beneficial to your health and your missus agrees.

Try to get yourself onto an even keel - sort the debt and then plan on new bike/upgrades etc.

Well done on talking about it - not an easy thing to do. I'd just make sure your missus is on board with what you decide to do.

Exercise is the best anti-depressant in my opinion, so get out and ride!

PS - ref the `options`- if you really need to make changes right now, I'd probably just change the forks.

Thanks for your kind words and yh just getting there etc and like Missus says that I should be grateful got a bike as some folks out there isnt as lucky.
  • slc123 wrote:
    I was writing a reply when BillyCool posted and mine was pretty much the same as his!

I wouldn't change anything. Not worth spending money for an extra 10mm of travel that won't make a big difference to the slackness either

Be 20mm difference ;p yh thinking once got sorted go 140mm from 120mm and better forks too.

Im sure does make difference if front is raised just by small margin which what after by 2 degrees. Its the slightly steep HA bothers me whats started it off. I like steep techinal decents and feel either frame is very slight to small or need bit slacker on front.
  • slc123
    Apologies I thought you were going 130 from 120, yes the 20 would make more difference. Although as you mention the slacker bikes tend to be longer and there you will get the feeling you want. I originally had 160s on my trail hard tail and it didn’t ride well at all as it didn’t suit the geometry even though the manufacturer said you could run those forks. I scaled it back to 130 and it’s awesome as a trail bike for less gnarly stuff and climbing.

It’s a nice colour though! I’m just building a trek slash 9 in that colour :)
  • slc123
    Having read some other posts and calculators it seems 20mm travel change will represent 1 degree change, although bike dimensions do make a difference to that calculation.
  • slc123 wrote:
    Apologies I thought you were going 130 from 120, yes the 20 would make more difference. Although as you mention the slacker bikes tend to be longer and there you will get the feeling you want. I originally had 160s on my trail hard tail and it didn’t ride well at all as it didn’t suit the geometry even though the manufacturer said you could run those forks. I scaled it back to 130 and it’s awesome as a trail bike for less gnarly stuff and climbing.

It’s a nice colour though! I’m just building a trek slash 9 in that colour :)

No need to apologise. So yh 140mm be fine i think. I did have a geomenty calculator but cant remember web site.

Ah nice Yeah do love the orange.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    How about a Slackerizer Headset?
    It will give you an extra 2degrees for a small outlay.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've struggled with depression over the past 20 years, and I've found cycling to be incredibly helpful.

So in your position I'd say don't sell the bike, but just ride it as it is till your finances are back on an even keel.

Then once you can properly afford it, reward yourself with a little upgrade...
  • keef66 wrote:
    I've struggled with depression over the past 20 years, and I've found cycling to be incredibly helpful.

So in your position I'd say don't sell the bike, but just ride it as it is till your finances are back on an even keel.

Then once you can properly afford it, reward yourself with a little upgrade...

Wow long time and it is difficult some times isnt it. Yeah riding a bike does help so certainly cant be with out one again. I got mine second hand last year after not having a bike and riding for two years.
  • Again thanks all for your words of wisdom a great help.

Ill guess I shall keep my chin up remain positive sort income out etc and see where go from there.

Possible upgrades like bars and shorter stem when I can and see how feels rides then.