Re: S*** small race thread 2019

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
edited October 2019 in Pro race
Time to start one of these methinks, as the Vuelta San Juan International has just made my epg for live coverage, next Sunday, 9-30pm, on Eurosport 2.
The setting: The Arid Andes foothills.

Valle-de-la-Luna-770x430.jpg

Sagan, Majka and Bennett, Alaphilippe and Evenpoel, Quintana and Carapaz, Wellens and Benoot, Gaviria and................the return of Cav.
Plus a good number of other well known names and probably, somewhere along the line...............the most obviously doped up ride of the season!
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    looking good :) the marching mans race
  • There is a new competition in town, quaintly named the Lead Cycle Tour Euro Cup.

http://www.lctpro.com/

Kicks off with the Mallorcan Challenge, which claim to have Eurosport on board for live coverage.
    A couple of UK races included, one being the Lincoln GP.
  • Not long to Marseille 3rd Feb then a fave of mine Etoille de Besseges. I was just reading it's been bailed out by 300 k euros ?
  • Vino'sGhost
    Not long to Marseille 3rd Feb then a fave of mine Etoille de Besseges. I was just reading it's been bailed out by 300 k euros ?
    300k to put that on??? That’s a lot of money for a small race no wonder they struggle
  • Not long to Marseille 3rd Feb then a fave of mine Etoille de Besseges. I was just reading it's been bailed out by 300 k euros ?
    300k to put that on??? That’s a lot of money for a small race no wonder they struggle

Sorry 36 000 euros :oops: :oops: :)

Gone from 5 to 4 stages so lost a stage finish payment
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Great Sky line up for the Colombia 2.1 race, including Froome, Ivan Sosa, Sebastian Henao, Teo Geoghegan Hart and Bernal.
  • inseine wrote:
    Great Sky line up for the Colombia 2.1 race, including Froome, Ivan Sosa, Sebastian Henao, Teo Geoghegan Hart and Bernal.

Not just Sky.
    So far down to race we have: Alaphilippe, Jungels, Uran, Van Garderen, Martinez, Lopez, Quintana, Soler, Carapaz, Henao and Gaviria.

There will probably be a live feed, too. There was last year.
  • inseine
    inseine wrote:

Not just Sky.
    So far down to race we have: Alaphilippe, Jungels, Uran, Van Garderen, Martinez, Lopez, Quintana, Soler, Carapaz, Henao and Gaviria.

There will probably be a live feed, too. There was last year.

Sky do have 3 of last years top ten...+ Froome
  • Breaking news. The Tour of Sicily returns from a long lay off, (42 years) this April at 2.1 level.

https://twitter.com/laflammerouge16/sta ... 8297875458

https://legaciclismoprof.org/2019/01/24 ... i-sicilia/
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    The San Juan coverage on Eurosport hasn't started well. Delayed an hour, followed by a tourist film on loop.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • inseine
    Does the Cadel Evans Great Ocean Road Race qualify for this thread? If so, Viviani beats Ewan with Impey third. Quite a reduced sprint due to a tough finishing circuit, so much do that Porte went for a late one but was brought back.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    Luke Rowe looking nice and handy for 6th place.
  • gsk82
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Luke Rowe looking nice and handy for 6th place.

I think he's finished to 10 in it a few times
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • inseine
    I read that Porte got a gap before watching the last 5k. I think he got a good bikes length...
    Ewan was a bit boxed in at the end as Impley came up to his shoulder but was going well, just too much to make up.
  • San Juan now live on the Eurosport Player, but for those who don't mind Spanish, it's free from the hosts.

https://sisanjuan.gob.ar/servicios/tran ... -juan-2019
  • inseine
    San Juan now live on the Eurosport Player, but for those who don't mind Spanish, it's free from the hosts.

Thanks for thanks, works perfectly.
    Gaviria wins from Matteo Malucelli, with Sam Bennett third after Sagan leads him out. Cav eighth
  • Vino'sGhost
    inseine wrote:
    San Juan now live on the Eurosport Player, but for those who don't mind Spanish, it's free from the hosts.

Gaviria wins from Matteo Malucelli, with Sam Bennett third after Sagan leads him out. Cav eighth

Ah well ive no need to watch it now.
  • inseine
    inseine wrote:

Ah well ive no need to watch it now.

Don't think you missed much, but...
    SPOILER
    Gaviria won
  • inseine wrote:
    Does the Cadel Evans Great Ocean Road Race qualify for this thread? If so, Viviani beats Ewan with Impey third. Quite a reduced sprint due to a tough finishing circuit, so much do that Porte went for a late one but was brought back.

Just watched.
    It's usually more selective, but this year nobody tried owt until the last lap.
    The worst edition I've seen.
  • inseine
    Alaphilippe takes stage 2 at Vuelta a San Juan with 42 year old Oscar Savilla finishing in the lead group.....
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    Yes... That name jumped out to me as well!
    Half man, Half bike
  • inseine wrote:
    Alaphilippe takes stage 2 at Vuelta a San Juan with 42 year old Oscar Savilla finishing in the lead group.....
    Ridgerider wrote:

Well, he did win this race as a 41 years old, last year, albeit by default.

Meanwhile, not all the news is good for Deceuninck Quick Step.

https://www.infobae.com/deportes-2/2019 ... -respalda/
    A young woman denounced for sexual abuse an international cyclist who participates in the Vuelta de San Juan: the image that supports her
    The employee of a coffee made the presentation before the Justice by the attitude of the runner Iljo Keisse (36), of the team Quick Step of Belgium. "I asked for a picture and they disrespected me," said the girl.
    An international cyclist was denounced for sexual abuse in the midst of his participation in the Vuelta de San Juan, the most important cycling tournament in the country. A young employee of a cafe in the center made the presentation before the Justice after the runner Iljo Keisse (36) rubbed her with his genitals while taking a picture with the Quick Step team from Belgium.

"I speak some English, I was asked, I did not know the Vuelta a San Juan was there and they explained to me what they were doing, that they came to compete, I asked them for a picture and I felt they supported me. later when I saw them smiling in the photo I realized that it had not been like that "
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    the 'Wolf Pack' eh?
  • The story has made it to CW now.
    Seeing the BBC couldn't be arsed to have a single report on the TDU, I wonder will they deem this to be more newsworthy?

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/late ... fan-406108
  • gsk82
    Ridgerider wrote:

Egan Bernal's long time training partner according to an interview with him on velo news.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    Probably old enough to be Egan Bernal's dad.
    Half man, Half bike
  • First race, first podium for Remco Evenepoel.
    Meanwhile naughty, boy team mate, Iljo Keisse gets booted off the race by the organizers.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    Shame, I thought, that the race had to boot him out after the team had stated that it wasn't enough of a misdemeanour to have publically sanctioned him.
    The actions were clearly unacceptable, they should have sent him home immediately.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • inseine
    First race, first podium for Remco Evenepoel.
    Meanwhile naughty, boy team mate, Iljo Keisse gets booted off the race by the organizers.

Can the distance of the TT be believed on the website? If so Alaphilippe, that renowned tester, averaged nearly 54kph....on his road bike! The fact that it's quoted at exactly 12k makes me slightly suspicious.