Advice on 29er Enduro bike please

handful
handful Posts: 920
edited January 2019 in MTB buying advice
Ok, I'm not going to make myself popular by admitting I haven't done much MTBing in the last couple of years but would like to do more and have been offered a bike by an acquaintance which is seriously cheap but not sure if it will suit my kind of riding. It's a Nukeproof, custom built with decent spec (which I don't have to hand but 150-160mm travel) but probably best suited to enduro riding. I'm more of a trail centre / natural trail rider, my current bike is an aging but still decent GT Idrive 5 26".

I'm not asking for advice on value because it would be a bargain, more whether I am best forgetting about it and getting something with 130mm travel and maybe a bit lighter? I've not ridden a 29er before so maybe that should sway my decision one way or the other. Just need a bit of info before I go round and try it. Thanks in advance.
Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
Orbea Rise

Comments

• billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    150-160mm is certainly in the realms of DH rather than Enduro and as you point out, it might be too much for what you want.

My FS bike is a 140mm Enduro and isn't necessary when I ride local paths/tracks but is perfect for more trail/XC riding like Cannock, Afan, Peaks and quite happy going down BPW.

29" is really good for paths/tracks etc for mile munching but for some (including me), not as nimble as 26" or 27.5" on tight/twisty stuff. I also know some people who love 29'ers for XC riding though as we all have our preferences. I wouldn't be put off by it though.

Great if it's a bargain but not if it's not right for what you want to do.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • See if you can borrow it for a test ride. A bike isn’t defined by its wheelsize or travel anymore, and there is no reason why a 160mm 29er can’t ride as well or better than any other config over different terrain.
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    edited January 2019
    It may have a fantastic spec, but has it been maintained? You could be letting yourself in for some large bills. For example, you could ask to see when the shock and fork were last serviced.
  • handful
    BillyCool wrote:
    150-160mm is certainly in the realms of DH rather than Enduro and as you point out, it might be too much for what you want.

My FS bike is a 140mm Enduro and isn't necessary when I ride local paths/tracks but is perfect for more trail/XC riding like Cannock, Afan, Peaks and quite happy going down BPW.

29" is really good for paths/tracks etc for mile munching but for some (including me), not as nimble as 26" or 27.5" on tight/twisty stuff. I also know some people who love 29'ers for XC riding though as we all have our preferences. I wouldn't be put off by it though.

Great if it's a bargain but not if it's not right for what you want to do.

Thanks, great advice. I'm really just preparing myself so I make the right judgement when I go and have a look at it so very useful, thanks. It seems a bit of a strange concept really, 29 inch wheels on a bike that is likely to be taking some big hits and probably tight and twisty turns! I think that's why he's getting rid to be honest, bought a 27.5er instead.

Tom Howard wrote:
    See if you can borrow it for a test ride. A bike isn’t defined by its wheelsize or travel anymore, and there is no reason why a 160mm 29er can’t ride as well or better than any other config over different terrain.

Thanks Tom, I will give it a quick blast for sure! My hope is that the benefit of having 29 inch wheels will make up for the additional weight of the bike. Having said that it's probably lighter than my idrive!
    It may have a fantastic sec, but has it been maintained? You could be letting yourself in for some large bills. For example, you could ask to see when the shock and fork were last serviced.

It's a great shout but from what I can tell it's only a couple of years old and not had much use at all so unlikely to need much for a while. I willhave a close look at seals though.

Cheers guys
    Orbea Rise
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    what bike nukeproof mega am 290?

Give it a ride and see if you like it and as already pointed out look it over to check for things like fork and rear shock seals and any other issues that you would have to sort out later.
  • handful
    swod1 wrote:
    what bike nukeproof mega am 290?

Give it a ride and see if you like it and as already pointed out look it over to check for things like fork and rear shock seals and any other issues that you would have to sort out later.

I believe so but not a stock one, was custom built for the guy (who is very similar size to me). I will check it over when I go and see it at some point over the next few days.

Thanks for the advice
    Orbea Rise
  • I wouldn’t say the advice above about 150-160mm travel being for Dh only is correct. Dh bikes these days tend to be more like 180-200mm travel - enduro bikes are generally 150-170mm travel. 140mm is more of a trail bike. But the boundaries between trail and enduro are very blurred these days.

If it’s a mega 290 then it’s an enduro bike and it should be perfectly capable of being pedalled uphill - but it will come into its own more on the downhills.

You need to think about where you ride and how you ride - if you’re riding trail centre blues and reds then the Mega will be ok but you may have more fun on
    something a little shorter travel that’s a bit more nimble and poppy. If you’re riding a lot of stuff that’s rocky / rooty and fast then the mega would be great. Also if you’re riding bike park stuff like Revs / BPW / BMCC then it’d be perfect for that.
  • handful
    Ok, it turns out the info I had was wrong and it's actually not a Nukeproof at all! It's an Intense Spider 2! Very well specced, a Fox Talas 34 fork, XTR all round, dropper seatpost, American classic wheels etc. It's naked aluminium frame which is a bit oxidised and it probably needs fork and shock service i would imagine . Decisions. Any view on this frame from anyone?
    Orbea Rise
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    handful wrote:
    Ok, it turns out the info I had was wrong and it's actually not a Nukeproof at all! It's an Intense Spider 2! Very well specced, a Fox Talas 34 fork, XTR all round, dropper seatpost, American classic wheels etc. It's naked aluminium frame which is a bit oxidised and it probably needs fork and shock service i would imagine . Decisions. Any view on this frame from anyone?

LOL - wrong bike! :lol:

I've Googled the bike and most references are from 2009 onwards when it was launched. They seem very positive, although you'd need to check that the geometry isn't too old school. Any idea what year it is?

The only Intense I've ever ridden was a DH bike and it was well put together and rode really well.

I've got the Talas 34 fork and it's worked well for me. Literally posted them to TF Tuned today for a service along with rear shock. I'll be £230 worse off as a result, so factor that in.

Go try it and see what you think.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • It's an Intense Spider 2!

Above all else, check it's straight! I had a 2009 slopestyle where it was so squint the pivot bolts were coming loose with clockwork regularity. also heard of one where the shop opened the frame box, saw it was pissed, sent it straight back under warranty, intense initially refused as they said it was crash damage...
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    handful wrote:

Intense used to do a Works Raw finish at around the time these came out,which looked weathered or patina finish,American Classic wheels were usually pretty light and not cheap,I rode a Socom and really liked it super plush on the VPP system,I always fancied a Tracer but never to sure on Intense as they had bit of a reputation for cracking
  • handful
    BillyCool wrote:
    handful wrote:

LOL - wrong bike! :lol:

I've Googled the bike and most references are from 2009 onwards when it was launched. They seem very positive, although you'd need to check that the geometry isn't too old school. Any idea what year it is?

The only Intense I've ever ridden was a DH bike and it was well put together and rode really well.

I've got the Talas 34 fork and it's worked well for me. Literally posted them to TF Tuned today for a service along with rear shock. I'll be £230 worse off as a result, so factor that in.

Go try it and see what you think.

I know :oops: :oops: I believe it's about 4-5 years old, was built by Box from Bad Ass bikes who I know and is a brilliant bike mechanic (and enduro rider but that's another story) The guy selling it says it's just been sat in his shed not being used for the last couple of years so recommended I give it back to Bad Ass to give it a once over before riding it. They do fork and shock servicing there so a bit cheaper than what you are paying. I think it cost over £4k when built and I could buy it and service it for around a grand so a lot of bike for the money. Not sure if I like the oxidised aluminium "rough" look though.
    Tom Howard wrote:
    It's an Intense Spider 2!

Above all else, check it's straight! I had a 2009 slopestyle where it was so squint the pivot bolts were coming loose with clockwork regularity. also heard of one where the shop opened the frame box, saw it was pissed, sent it straight back under warranty, intense initially refused as they said it was crash damage...

Thanks, good advice but not easy with my untrained eye! If I buy it I will get it properly serviced and will ask them to check that before they do the rest of the work! Pretty sure the guy selling would take it back if it was bent as he's in our local club and wouldn't want to be labelled as a con artist!
    handful wrote:

Intense used to do a Works Raw finish at around the time these came out,which looked weathered or patina finish,American Classic wheels were usually pretty light and not cheap,I rode a Socom and really liked it super plush on the VPP system,I always fancied a Tracer but never to sure on Intense as they had bit of a reputation for cracking

Cheers. The seller said he actually requested it naked so may have been a custom built option. I have a picture now so I will post it if I can remember how!
    Orbea Rise
  • handful
    Here it is intense.jpg

Hopefully!
    Orbea Rise