Winter socks

vince133
vince133 Posts: 61
edited January 2019 in Road buying advice
Hi all. As per title. I am looking for recommendations for warm winter cycling socks. I have been out this morning and feet were really cold. I was wearing 2 pairs of socks and have overshoes. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Merino wool sock like DeFeet Woolie Boolies are a good choice. Using an old pair of road shoes I tape up vents, add a liner sock under the wool sock and line the insole of the shoe with a thin foil/foam material and lambswool insole plus for really low temps add toe covers under overshoes.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Two pairs of socks might be making your feet too tight cutting off circulation. I suffer pretty bad cold feet but managing to win the battle at the moment.

Thickish cycle socks, like something from Chapeau winter range.
    Defeet over socks.
    Some half decent over shoes.

With shoes that’s 4 layers to help.
  • Castelli Quindici are good warm socks. However if you really want warm feet buy some winter cycling boots like the Northwave Extreme I wear these and just the one pair of Quindici socks and never get cold feet
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,610
    Prendas for moderate winter conditions. Woolie Boolies for when it's really cold, provided you have enough space in your shoes for them.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    another vote for defeet woolie boolies, with 6” cuff
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I remove the insole then cut three or four layers of Tinfoil to shape and put them inside the shoe then replace the insole.Merino socks and overshoes and feet are good down to about -4/5
  • Sniper68 wrote:
    I remove the insole then cut three or four layers of Tinfoil to shape and put them inside the shoe then replace the insole.Merino socks and overshoes and feet are good down to about -4/5

Clever...
    left the forum March 2023
  • rwoofer
    rwoofer Posts: 222
    Woolie Boolies for me. If you need extra warmth, then add shoe covers.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,572
    Planet X Thicky Merino socks - can be had for as little as £3 a pair, and they are supremely comfortable, warm, and go through a wash and come out without any deterioration in quality that I can see, one of THE best value, and hardset wearing items I have ever bought - I've even taken them with me to the alps, and they were more than sufficient.
    Think my 3 pairs must be around 7 years old now, and get hammered every year, and show no sign of dying.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/s?q=thicky+merino

I also more recently bought some more pricey, and softer Castelli ones, the name escapes me.
    Are they softer - yes
    Are they warmer - no
    Are they any better - no
    Do they look nicer - debatable

Mine are these:
    CLPXMERS1P-LFL-YEL_P1.jpg?v=b

As a rule I am not a fan of Planet X\DFS for a number of reasons I won't go into here, but these socks are, for me, a real gem in a warehouse of, ummmm, non gem like things :D
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    Winter boots beat merino socks every time and if you combine them......
  • Daniel B wrote:
    Think my 3 pairs must be around 7 years old now, and get hammered every year, and show no sign of dying.

Probably less "hammering" than you think... mine typically last 2 winters
    left the forum March 2023
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    Woolie Boolies. Tried lots, always go back
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    I've got a pair of these

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/sportful-merin ... 6cm-socks/

Which I rate, though I am sure are similar to other 'winter' socks from other brands.

Other things to consider
    - Winter overshoes
    - toe covers underneath the overshoes if needed
    - a layer of clingfilm in between if needed.
    - Make sure there is enough space in your shoe for big socks, if your shoes is particularly close fitting then it might be preventing circulation by layering too much inside the shoe. Instead, layer outside the shoe.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    ^ all of that. My general winter riding footwear consists of:

Woolie Boolies
    Shoes with plenty of room
    Neoprene overshoes

That's good for a couple of hours and down to minus 2. Colder than that and I'll be sitting in front of the log-burner, and if I start doing longer winter rides I'll be investing in some winter boots.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Daniel B wrote:
    Planet X Thicky Merino socks - can be had for as little as £3 a pair, and they are supremely comfortable, warm, and go through a wash and come out without any deterioration in quality that I can see, one of THE best value, and hardset wearing items I have ever bought - I've even taken them with me to the alps, and they were more than sufficient.

I also more recently bought some more pricey, and softer Castelli ones, the name escapes me.
    Are they softer - yes
    Are they warmer - no
    Are they any better - no

Mine are these:

As a rule I am not a fan of Planet X\DFS for a number of reasons I won't go into here, but these socks are, for me, a real gem in a warehouse of, ummmm, non gem like things :D

My PX thicky's last around two years before the heel goes thin on them.

Just to note PX whack a delivery on their orders so it can work out cheaper to get them elsewhere, Chapeau I think are still doing three for two offers on socks, Wiggles thermal socks are around £5 I think so may work out cheaper than PX.

Yesterday I wore some wiggle Thermolite ones seemed OK with an over sock then overshoes.
  • Thanks for all your replies. I will have a look at the recommendations and order some. Might look at a pair of winter boots for next year. Thanks all.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    I wear wool walking/ hiking socks. Lovely thick sole and reach about 9” up the leg. Current pair have been going strong for 5yrs plus. These sit under Sidi winter boots (which have thermal and goretex properties). They are fine in the dry. In the wet however, capillary action draws the water down from leg warmers/ tights into the socks and ultimately into the boots so you get wet feet. Tried Grip Grab neoprene mini gaiters, which seal the tops of the boots well, but again capillary action draws the water in after a few hours. They were worth the less than a tenner they cost.

Just bought some neoprene Spatz overshoes which reach up the calf. Plan is to wear these over the boots and socks and put the leg warmers down over the top of them. Hopefully this will hold the water out a bit longer.

PP
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Woolie Boolie for me too in the very cold weather (ie this morning, 6am and -4c). I also have a couple of pairs of these, which are just as good (in fact I am wearing them as I type!)

https://www.evanscycles.com/kalf-winter ... k-EV343576

I do suffer from cold toes, so it's these, some Northwave Gore-tex boots and neoprene overshoes for me. Just about keeps the frostbite out on a 90 minute commute.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Winter boots (Specialized Defrosers or Northwave Fahrenheit) with these
    https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/deep-wi ... DWS03XXBLK
    and these
    https://www.decathlon.co.uk/feet-warmer ... 73956.html
    are very toasty. Add neoprene overshoes if still not warm enough. I can't emphasis how good the foot warmers are though.
  • Daniel B wrote:

Are they softer - yes
    Are they warmer - no
    Are they any better - no

Mine are these:
    CLPXMERS1P-LFL-YEL_P1.jpg?v=b

Big fan of these, had them for ~5 years, wearing a pair now to pop out in -2C.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Woolie boolies for me as a first resort but they can be a struggle if there's no spare room in your shoes. May be worth considering a cheapish pair of shoes for winter use. I run with overshoes all winter, so no-one can see what shoes I'm wearing! I did try Northwave winter boots but I found them a complete faff to get on and didn't like the fit of them. As others have said on coldest days I have been known to stick on the castelli toe covers below the overshoes. The easiest overshoes to work with I found were gripgrab - they don't look the best but they are thick, warm and there is no wrestling match trying to get my shoes on!

Peter