Better spec or better price

Spannerhead
Spannerhead Posts: 8
edited January 2019 in MTB buying advice
Should I spend more of my money on a bike with better spec or buy a bike with not so good spec and use the rest of my money to upgrade as much as possible e.g. forks, bb type and crankset, wheel(s)? I might get new grips/pedals anyway

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Impossible to say. Depends whether you can upgrade for the same price as a better bike. It's unlikely.

A clue on what you are considering would help....
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Should I spend more of my money on a bike with better spec or buy a bike with not so good spec and use the rest of my money to upgrade as much as possible e.g. forks, bb type and crankset, wheel(s)? I might get new grips/pedals anyway

It depends upon whether you are considering new or previously loved. If new, you are unlikely to beat the buying power of the manufacturers, unless you are buying a 2018 bike at a big discount of course. A 2nd hand bike could be a terrific bargain (the ones I sell always are of course; well maintained, proof of suspension servicing etc). But equally could be a money pit if you don't know what you are looking at.

You can change anything except the frame, so ensure that you buy a bike that suits you and the you like to ride.
  • Depends what you are spending and on what.

If you aren't buying the mega money, bells and whistles model, there will always be something to upgrade, so chances are you will do upgrading anyway.

Some manufacturers (Bird, for example) give you a base spec bike and you can choose from a few different options in all areas of the spec.

Or just build one to the spec you want, depending on what deals you can get, it may be cheaper than an off the shelf one, though may take a while, waiting for deals to come up, then there's the hassle of making sure everything fits, building it etc
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833

What sort of bike do you want?
    Type of riding?
    Budget?

If you can afford a decent spec off the shelf that would be my preference. I did that with my HT which I bought in 2006. Now the only original parts are the frame and forks, but it was stock for the first few years then slowly as things needed replacing I spec'd it with newer stuff. I wouldn't buy a new bike and immediately swap out the BB for example.

If you want something more specific, then as has been said, you can effectively spec your own bike and go from there.

Changing things like grips, pedals and tyres is fairly normal.

I would argue that buying all of the bits and fitting them to a bike is more expensive than buying a bike with them already fitted. This is purely down to the buying power of the manufacturers.

If I had an unlimited budget, my answer may be different!
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'd say it makes more financial sense to get the bike that's closest to the spec you want. Always thought it was madness buying a bike then immediately replacing half the components.

Mind you, I've frequently benefitted when I've bought virtually new components at a knock-down price from people doing just that...