A little hasty? I'm hoping not......

pikeman65
pikeman65 Posts: 56
edited January 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
......In my haste to amass as many tools as I can I may have bought two tools that may be no good, the tools I've bought are both Draper tools, one is a chain whip, the other is a chain rivet extractor, there is no reference as to which chain the whip will fit but the rivet extractor says 3/32" to 3/16" chain, I'm intending using them on a 12 speed chain, can anyone tell me if they are right or wrong please, thanks in advance.

Sean.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    A chain whip doesn't fit any chain, it's used to remove a cassette.

Inches are too hard for me, but a 12 speed chain is 5.25mm. Try it, the pins are the same so no reason it won't work.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I’m dying to know what use you thought a chain whip had on a chain.....

It’s used to hold a freehub (by wrapping round the cassette on it) in place while undoing the cassette lock nut, it’s not needed for or indeed useable (on a bicycle at least) for any other purpose.

The quoted widths are chain widths it works on for removing the pin (or inserting a special joining pin) it will work fine, pin diameters (on cycle chains) are all the same.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    :lol::lol:
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Also a chain whip is nothing to do with extreme S and M.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • My bad, I know what a chain whip is for, I just wrote it out all wrong, I'm intending using it on a Whyte T-130S with a 12 speed drivetrain to remove the cassette, I can't try it on the bike coz I haven't got it yet, this is why I'm asking this question, also I've read that a lot of the chain breakers are specific to chain speed too, or am I wrong again :roll:

Sean.
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    LOL - yes, it all came out a bit wrong!

The chain whip is pretty generic, so don't worry about it.

Chain breakers are also quite flexible and can cope with most chains. If unsure, Google it and the answer shall appear.

Keep asking questions - we all have to learn somewhere and it's made me chuckle.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    I've had a chain breaker for more than ten years, when it was designed for 9-speed chains. Since then it happily has done 10 and 11-speed chains and it now does 12-speed chains. So do not be concerned.
  • The chain whip is pretty generic, so don't worry about it.

best of luck getting one designed for use on 8 speed systems to work on 12 speed, the spacing between the cogs is much narrower, the chains side plates are thinner on 12s
    Also a chain whip is nothing to do with extreme S and M.

Clearly you aren't very adventurous...

If its a sram system you wont need a chain tool like the old 'push the pin out' ones, but one to separate a split link (looks like pliers), if it isn't a tool free one
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Tom Howard wrote:
    If its a sram system you wont need a chain tool like the old 'push the pin out' ones, but one to separate a split link (looks like pliers), if it isn't a tool free one

So what happens when you're fitting a new SRAM chain and you need to shorten it by 3 links??
  • Vino'sGhost
    keef66 wrote:
    Tom Howard wrote:

So what happens when you're fitting a new SRAM chain and you need to shorten it by 3 links??

I think he must get everything fitted by someone else lolol
  • I'm so glad I haven't wasted my money on tools I don't need, thanks again for putting my mind at ease guys :lol: nothing annoys me more wasting money, anyway I'm well happy, I've just received my new bike maintenance stand, a shock pump, a cassette tool and a workshop pump, posty wasn't very happy lugging that lot up my front steps lol, mind you neither was my misses, in my quest for a safe secure bike cave/man cave, I managed to get a reject composite door and frame from work and it weighs a ton lol, I can't wait to get started building it.

Sean.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Pikeman65 wrote:
    I'm so glad I haven't wasted my money on tools I don't need, thanks again for putting my mind at ease guys :lol: nothing annoys me more wasting money, anyway I'm well happy, I've just received my new bike maintenance stand, a shock pump, a cassette tool and a workshop pump, posty wasn't very happy lugging that lot up my front steps lol, mind you neither was my misses, in my quest for a safe secure bike cave/man cave, I managed to get a reject composite door and frame from work and it weighs a ton lol, I can't wait to get started building it.

Sean.

Building your own man cave is a proper bloke activity. But it will lead to late night fettling and secret buying :) enjoy!
  • Building your own man cave is a proper bloke activity. But it will lead to late night fettling and secret buying :) enjoy![/quote]

:lol: no such luck mate, we've got a joint bank account, nope everything is out in the open between me and my wife, she's even gonna help me build the man cave, mind you we do tackle most things together :shock:

Sean.