28c or 32c

richard36
richard36 Posts: 346
edited January 2019 in Road buying advice
Just been trawling through old posts and can't see a specific answer to my question but if there is one then apologies.

I've just bought the Domane SL5 disc which came with 32c tyres. I'm thinking of upgrading the wheels (partly because I would like the experience of building some wheels) and can either go for 'gravel' type rims which accommodate 32c tyres or 'road' rims which will probably best accommodate no more than 28c.

I've no experience with either 28c or 32c. I will only be doing road miles and given the Domane has front and rear isospeed I may not need the comfort of 32c tyres.

I assume 32c tyres are comfier but are they significantly slower? Are 28c much faster?

So the choice is gravel type wheels and 32c tubeless tyres or road wheels and 28c tubeless tyres.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,623
    Most modern rims are relatively wide and should cope with either 28mm or 32mm tyres.

The wider tyres will be slightly more comfortable and the narrower ones will be slightly faster but there won't be much in it either way.

If you already have 32mm tyres I'd suggest you just stick with them for the time being and then you can always try some 28mm ones when they wear out.
  • 30c?
  • I had the same bike with the 40mm vision metron standard wheels it came with.

The 32mm bontager r2 tyres that came as standard were certainly comfortable...but I did notice a difference going down to 28mm continental 4 seasons and also 25mm gp4000's in the summer....basically the bike accelerates faster and is a bit nicer to ride.

But it depends on what sort of roads you're riding on. Keep the 32's on for winter and use your new wheels when the weather gets better. As another poster said pretty much all rims will accept 28 or 32mm tyres anyway. If you're going proper gravel btw I'd fit wider than 32 if the frame can take it (can't rememeber)
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    23mm, this wide tyre stuff is marketing rubbish.. :-)

Seriously, if you are going to be riding entirely on the road, why would you want anything wider than 28mm?