Prime RP-28 Disc Wheelset front hub bearings

skeetam
skeetam Posts: 178
edited January 2019 in Workshop
There's play in the front wheel so I need to replace the front hub bearings. Before I start stripping it down, does anyone have experience in changing the bearings in the front hub (RD010) and can tell me what bearings are used?

I think they may be 699 (9x20x6mm)

Here's a pic of the hub...

prod144673-Black-NE-01.jpg

Comments

• joenobody
    joenobody Posts: 563
    Google "prime r010 bearing kit" (I did). This confirms that you're correct about the bearing type :wink:
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    No the front bearings are 6803 in the disc version
  • skeetam

Thanks. That's why I didn't trust those measurements from Googling because 9mm won't exactly fit a 12mm thru-axle through it.
  • Vino'sGhost
    SkeetAM wrote:

Thanks. That's why I didn't trust those measurements from Googling because 9mm won't exactly fit a 12mm thru-axle through it.

lolol i didnt like to say

but whip them out anyway and check before ordering. or just order them direct from prime.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,127
    I've got the same hubs on my Prime Pro disks and just changed mine, 6803 2RS. Cost me £3.20 on eBay - seem reasonable enough quality and figured for my usage on a winter bike it was better to get cheap and change regularly.

You can get Prime bearings for £9 from CRC if that's a little down-market for you, though I'm not sure they are actually any better given the length of time the originals lasted!
  • skeetam
    super_davo wrote:
    I've got the same hubs on my Prime Pro disks and just changed mine, 6803 2RS. Cost me £3.20 on eBay - seem reasonable enough quality and figured for my usage on a winter bike it was better to get cheap and change regularly.

You can get Prime bearings for £9 from CRC if that's a little down-market for you, though I'm not sure they are actually any better given the length of time the originals lasted!

Thanks.I've only had mine since May 2018 and they're on a winter bike too so probably only done about 3000 miles. They say the original bearings are quality Japanese ones but who knows? I'II try some Enduro or SKF ones and see how long they last.
  • Vino'sGhost
    SkeetAM wrote:
    super_davo wrote:

Thanks.I've only had mine since May 2018 and they're on a winter bike too so probably only done about 3000 miles. They say the original bearings are quality Japanese ones but who knows? I'II try some Enduro or SKF ones and see how long they last.

Seems about the same time as my zipps
  • skeetam
    Stripped down the wheel to check I have the correct bearings (which I have, thanks to this thread) but it's not obvious how to tap out the old ones. I've changed bearings on lots of wheels but before I dive in, I'd appreciate some advice on how these hubs disassemble.

IMG-4333-disc-side.jpg

IMG-4333-skewer-side.jpg
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Without any direct experience on Prime hubs and in the absence of any specific online instructions, my approach would be.

Assuming that the hub axle will have an internal flange to prevent the axle floating, I would try gently tapping one end using, say, a piece of wood between the axle and the mallet/hammer. Make sure the other end of the hub is properly supported with space for the axle to drop through when it releases with the bearing. If that works, you may be able to knock out the other bearing in the same way.

If not this video shows an innovative way to extract a bearing using a wall anchor type bolt. The relevant bit is between about 2 mins and 6 mins in the video if you don't want to watch the whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDmppfzme2I

The rest of the video might also be useful as it shows a simple way of pressing in the new bearings without the need for an expensive branded tool
  • skeetam
    arlowood wrote:
    Without any direct experience on Prime hubs and in the absence of any specific online instructions, my approach would be.

Assuming that the hub axle will have an internal flange to prevent the axle floating, I would try gently tapping one end using, say, a piece of wood between the axle and the mallet/hammer. Make sure the other end of the hub is properly supported with space for the axle to drop through when it releases with the bearing. If that works, you may be able to knock out the other bearing in the same way.

If not this video shows an innovative way to extract a bearing using a wall anchor type bolt. The relevant bit is between about 2 mins and 6 mins in the video if you don't want to watch the whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDmppfzme2I

The rest of the video might also be useful as it shows a simple way of pressing in the new bearings without the need for an expensive branded tool

Thanks.

I assumed there would be a flange on the axle and a flange inside the hub but no idea which way round they are?
  • skeetam
    edited January 2019
    Right, I just cracked on, and here's what I found out...

Tools used:
    Hammer
    17mm socket (to tap the bearings in and out)
    15mm socket and extender (to tap out the second bearing through the hub shell)
    2 small blocks of wood (one to rest the opposite side of the hub shell on and one to hammer directly on)

The axle dust caps just pull out, just make sure you use something with a soft grip.

The axle has a step at both ends. I chose to tap the non-disc side and drive out the disc-side bearing as it stuck out the most.

IMG-4335-axle.jpg

The disc side has the flange. The bearing on this side is the one which had play, the other side was as good as new.

IMG-4336-disc-side-shell.jpg

The other side butts up against the flange on the axle.

IMG-4337-axle-side-shell.jpg
  • Vino'sGhost
    Nicely done
  • skeetam
    Nicely done

Cheers for your input Vino, if it helps someone else it's worth it. I'm sure it's a Novatech hub but I have no idea which one?