Wonderful world of headsets

dcwhite1984
dcwhite1984 Posts: 86
edited January 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All,

Was wondering if anyone could help as im getting myself confused.

I have a vitus sentier vrs 2017 http://vitusbikes.com/products/sentier-vrs-2017/

The bearings are shot in the upper headset and need replacing,
The original headset an FSA Orbit 1.5B Zero Stack (No.57b) 1.1/8" - 1.5" seems like rocking horse poo and im pretty sure that they no longer make this exact one.

I am looking to upgrade the headset to a cane creek jobby, but im unsure as to what bottom and top cup i need.
I think i need the zs44 top cup and zs56 bottom cup, but if anyone could help and clarify that it would be much appreciated.

And no my bike is not on the cane creek website to check with them directly.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    I’ve just replaced one of these on one of my bikes and you can get them for about £30 from tredz. You are correct in what you need. It’s a semi integrated headset for the tapered steerer 44/56.
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)
  • slc123 wrote:
    I’ve just replaced one of these on one of my bikes and you can get them for about £30 from tredz. You are correct in what you need. It’s a semi integrated headset for the tapered steerer 44/56.

Excellent thankyou, i shall get my order in.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    slc123 wrote:

Was that for the full headset?

I may buy one at that price for my bird zero hardtail which uses the same size.

I was going to get a hope one but its 35 for just the top half.
  • slc123
    swod1 wrote:

Was that for the full headset?

I may buy one at that price for my bird zero hardtail which uses the same size.

I was going to get a hope one but its 35 for just the top half.

Yes, cheap and pretty bomb proof.
  • slc123
    IMG-8061.jpg

I don’t think they are too bad looking either, pretty minimal
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    The FSA Orbit 1.5b headset is a reducer to allow a straight 11/8" steerer to be fitted in a tapered head tube.
    Can you confirm your bike has a straight steerer, Dcwhite1984?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • JBA wrote:
    The FSA Orbit 1.5b headset is a reducer to allow a straight 11/8" steerer to be fitted in a tapered head tube.
    Can you confirm your bike has a straight steerer, Dcwhite1984?

No my bike has a tapered steerer, as per the link provided above.
    I'm only going on the vitus website with the headset but it's definitely tapered.

I can find the headset on Amazon as a like for like item bit none are in stock.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 7578983020

I'm also looking to upgrade to a cane creek just need to know the size.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    In that case it is not an Orbit 1.5b headset as that is for fitting forks with a straight steerer in a tapered head tube.

I wonder if there may be an error in the listing on the Vitus website? In the Sentier range some models are listed as having an FSA 1.5E zero stack headset and others as having the 1.5B headset.

Have you dropped the forks out to check if the steerer is straight or tapered?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • slc123
    The fork spec on the website spec says it's a tapered fork...(Solo Air Spring, Tapered Alloy Steerer, Motion Control Damping, External Rebound, Low Speed Compression to Lock Out, Maxle Lite Thru Axle, 140mm Travel) I would suggest it's the 1.5e as that's the more standard headset and relatively easy to get hold of. I would imagine that's what Vitus would be using. As JBA says drop the forks check if it's tapered you are good to go!
  • Yeah its definitely a tapered fork, thanks for everyones input i have ordered the correct one which was indeed a zs44/56.

And i agree it looks like it is most likely the E rather than the B although the one i pulled out looks exactly like the amazon listing from the post above albeit with no reducer cup on the bottom. I agree with the fact that it is most likely a typo on the vitus website.
    Glad to see i wasnt confused for no reason.

Cheers all.