Tour Down Under 2019

Caron
Caron Posts: 5
edited January 2019 in Pro race
Struggling to find any sign of coverage of the race in the UK this year...anybody have any info?
Thanks.

Comments

• It’s on the Eurosport schedule this year.
  • Caron
    Caron Posts: 5
    Cheers! Not sure how I missed that considering I’d checked their website.

• That reads like the standard spiel they put out for races that they aren't covering on tv or the player.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • It's definitely not live on Eurosport.

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/eurosport-tv-schedule.shtml (it starts 15/1)

It usually clashes with the tennis so can't see Eurosport having anything other than delayed (by a week or so, going by last year) highlights. Pretty sure Sky ditched their coverage last year too. So Youtube etc might be the only way. I guess there's an outside chance they'll have it on the ES Player I suppose.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    presumably the pub games will be still back to back coverage for the next week also, it was crazy yesterday they had one session of darts live, followed by a repeat showing of the live session theyd just had.

the womens race starts on the 10th in the weirdly named Ziptrack stage, a new trend of naming stages after sponsors it seems at least the mens race uses the same sponsors. which I guess will be shown only via twitter or something equally rubbish
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    I don't believe it's been on ES before, had my hopes up there!

Apparently last year it was on a free channel called Freesports, never heard of it. Checked their schedule though, and zero sign of it.
    If I find it anywhere, I'll be sure to reply.

I think I might have heard GCN saying they might have highlights, but am assuming each stage would be compressed into 5 minutes or something.

Perhaps there will be some live feeds at the time.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Daniel B wrote:
    I don't believe it's been on ES before, had my hopes up there!

Apparently last year it was on a free channel called Freesports, never heard of it. Checked their schedule though, and zero sign of it.
    If I find it anywhere, I'll be sure to reply.

I think I might have heard GCN saying they might have highlights, but am assuming each stage would be compressed into 5 minutes or something.

Perhaps there will be some live feeds at the time.

You're right, it was on Freesports last year (Freesports as far as I understand are a fence for various unclaimed TV rights packages). However the scheduling was absysmal - being an overnighter, people were recording the programme only to find it finished many km from the finish. iirc in one case something like 45km to go!
  • Dutch channel Ziggo Sport has now confirmed live coverage.
    Meanwhile L'Equipe in France will be showing the stages delayed, each afternoon.

They can still be watched, here.

https://www.firstonetv.live/Live/France ... 89quipe-27

So far, nothing showing up in UK schedules, but Freesport tend to leave things late.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Our very own bikeradar say eurosport is covering it
    This year Eurosport will be showing live coverage of the Tour Down Under

https://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/art ... ive-53426/
  • I'll put this here, as it involves Eurosport and live coverage of racing this month.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/vuel ... ime-404256
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    I imagine every new season brings a new set of pressures to perform, but Richie Porte must be really feeling it this year. New team, getting on, elusive big win...
    At his best, he has climbed with Froome, Nibali and Quintana at their best - and he can always out-TT the latter 2. But now the arrival of Dumoulin,Thomas and Yates as GT winners - along with Roglic, Pinot, Bernal, etc all lurking in the wings (I’m excluding Bardet as I he’s not as strong a TTer)- the field of genuine GT contenders looks as competitive as ever.
    It would be a shame if Porte ended up without a GT win.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    I imagine every new season brings a new set of pressures to perform, but Richie Porte must be really feeling it this year. New team, getting on, elusive big win...
    At his best, he has climbed with Froome, Nibali and Quintana at their best - and he can always out-TT the latter 2. But now the arrival of Dumoulin,Thomas and Yates as GT winners - along with Roglic, Pinot, Bernal, etc all lurking in the wings (I’m excluding Bardet as I he’s not as strong a TTer)- the field of genuine GT contenders looks as competitive as ever.
    It would be a shame if Porte ended up without a GT win.
    It must be hard on him with Thomas. They are good friends, were both Sky domestiques, but he left to assume team leadership yet it was Thomas who ends up winning the Tour.
  • awavey
    meanwhile in the womens race, on stage 1 Letizia Paternoster claimed the 1st stage victory for the new Trek Segafredo womens team, and leads the GC.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/raci ... win-404462
  • daniel_b
    redvision wrote:

The es player schedule shows simply 'Cycling Stage 1' on Tuesday 15th, at around 18:00 for only 30 minutes, and then similar for the next 2 days, which is as far as it goes forwards.
    Hoping to find some longer footage, as really find it helps me on the turbo this time of year!

Might have to avoid the result and wait a few days for a 60/90 minute package to appear.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Daniel B wrote:
    redvision wrote:

The es player schedule shows simply 'Cycling Stage 1' on Tuesday 15th, at around 18:00 for only 30 minutes, and then similar for the next 2 days, which is as far as it goes forwards.
    Hoping to find some longer footage, as really find it helps me on the turbo this time of year!

Might have to avoid the result and wait a few days for a 60/90 minute package to appear.

Yup.
    Now showing up on Sky too. Just 30-40 minutes per stage in the early evenings.
    That will be the standards highlights package put out by Oz tv.
    Minimum coverage whereas, Freesports had full live coverage. Money talks, again.
    Luckily, I have the Dutch Ziggo Sports option.
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    As long as this has a youtube highlights package I'll be happy, looking forward to it. Great win for the young Italian lass the other day, goes to show that you can get a scalp if you turn up looking sharp!

Nice to see proper racing on its way back
  • awavey
    Mitchelton Scott are doing daily stage videos on the womens race https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSFs0zY18fU

and Tour Down under have produced a bunch load of video highlights as well https://www.youtube.com/user/tourdownunder/videos all with spoilers obviously :D
  • daniel_b
    Daniel B wrote:
    redvision wrote:

For the remaining 3 days, it gets punted out to around 22:00/23:00 on ES player.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,550
    Somewhat predictably Eurosport are showing a snooker match from 2015 and not the scheduled racing from today’s Crit.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Gweeds wrote:
    Somewhat predictably Eurosport are showing a snooker match from 2015 and not the scheduled racing from today’s Crit.

I recorded the race from Dutch tv, because I had a feeling this might happen.
    A bit of a pile up coming out of the final corner made it into a very reduced sprint.
    There's a whole minute's worth here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIaP7lAh7bk

So, it looks like they have taken out the option to stop Freesports from showing it, then don't show it, themselves.
    Their schedule for later next week is pretty chock full of tennis and snooker, so don't expect much coverage of the GC stages.

Plus, the organizers confirmed the distance of the Novatech Stage 2 Norwood to Angaston has been reduced by 26.9 km due to expected extreme heat.
  • inseine
    Ewan wins Diwn Under Classic, besting Sagan and Edmondon (micht Scott). Kluge led out Ewan but still finished 4th.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    big crash took out the other leading sprinters including Viviani, the front 5 detached and that was it.
  • Ziptrak Stage 1 will now be 129 km, with the riders expected to finish in Port Adelaide at 2.24 pm.

40C forecast for the first two days, 37c for stage 3.
  • keef_zip
    keef_zip Posts: 295
    Viviani takes stage 1 with ease.
  • inseine
    Quick Step open their account in first race of the year. Viviani showed his speed in a messy sprint where Ewan finished no where.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,550
    Sagan lost the crit sprint because he wasn't on a Venge

Ewan lost the sprint because disc brakes are too good

Actual things I read elsewhere today.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    I can just imaging what was going though his head at that time...

"Please no outstretched selfie phones"

"Please no big floppy foam hands"

"Please no musette straps"
    Half man, Half bike
  • Ridgerider wrote:
    I can just imaging what was going though his head at that time...

"Please no outstretched selfie phones"

"Please no big floppy foam hands"

"Please no musette straps"

More likely

Che vinca il migliore