Advice needed: getting a new commuter bike and can't decide between two options

sgueorguiev
sgueorguiev Posts: 5
edited January 2019 in Commuting general
Hi all,

I'm in the market for a new commuter bike and I can't make up my mind between the following two options. Unfortunately both are online buy so I can't try them first (and there is a cost for return/exchange)

The consideration is between:
    Cube Travel SL-
https://www.cube.eu/uk/2019/bikes/trekk ... reen-2019/
Bergamont Vitess N8 Belt - https://www.bergamont.com/gb/en/product ... -belt-gent

I'm mostly lost on the difference of geometries (below). It looks like the Bergamont is more upright and longer wheelbase but I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing? Or even, if I'm overthinking it :) Also the Cube is a bit more expensive but likely with slightly better components.

Any thoughts, advice, comments welcome!

Many thanks!

Geometry 256nWvp.png

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Bergamont has a slightly slacker head tube which will make it more stable and relaxed in steering, the Cube is quite steep (similar to a road bikes) and will feel fairly sporty, this is further enhanced by it's shorter chainstay. the Bergamont has a higher stack height making it more upright seating position as well. Overall the Cube is definitely the sportier in terms of it's geometry, aimed at a slightly faster paced rider while the Bergamont is a little more towards a traditional sit up and beg (though not to Dutch bike levels) type rider.

I don't think you have a direct comparison of top tube or ETT there making it rather hard to guess as sizing, the Cube diagrams don't really tell you where measurements are from and to, the Bergamont is much more helpful.

That said I'm pretty sure the smaller of the two measurements above the top tube on the Cube is the same as Reach on the Bergamont (BB to centre of top of head tube horizontally) and tallies with it's numbers, as the seat tube angles are similar (marginally more relaxed on the Cube) it translates to similar ETT between the two from a similar size (I'm mostly using the 54cm cube compared to splitting the difference between the 52 and 56 Bergamont).

As you seem to want a belt drive hub geared beastie, have you looked at the Canyon Commuter or Urban ranges as well?
    https://www.canyon.com/en-uk/urban/urban/#urban
    Thay are also fairly sporty with similar geo to the Cube.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks - makes perfect sense! Given I'll be attaching a baby/kid seat and use it for 2h roundtrip daily commuting and weekend getaways I might as well go for the more comfy Bergamont then...

And yes, Canyon was actually on the top of my Wishlist but unfortunately they don't do Cycle2Work/Cychlescheme in the UK :(
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    They're both chunky monkeys aren't they ?

Two hours a day in a very upright position ? You'd not want a headwind on the way to work or you'll be late.

Personally I'd be going more with the drop bars for reducing the profile to the wind. I'd prefer that to the belt technology.
  • Good point. I wanted to also use the bike on the weekend for a leisure ride with the family and also ride it to work in normal clothes (jeans/sneakers/jacket). The other option I looked at was Genesis Day One 20 (https://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bike/day-one-20 ), which also is a bit relaxed, however I don't think the shifters are good for city/urban commute in traffic?

Do you guys have any other suggestions for something with belt or at least internal hub?
  • cougie
    I don't see why the shifters aren't good for commuting ? They're at your fingertips ?
  • The Rookie
    As above, for a longer ride it’s better to have the faster bike to cut down on duration, the more upright bike makes more sense for a slower shorter commute, perhaps in work clothes not cycling clothes with a change. More upright isn’t necessarily more comfortable, it’s conducive to slow gentle riding, but the more effort you put in the sportier position you need to counteract the pedalling torque.

Why do you want a belt and hub gear so much? Not saying it’s wrong, I can see the advantages of both, but trying to figure if you’ve made that decision for the right reasons.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Great advice, thanks for sharing the thoughts. My motivation was to save time on maintenance. With kids and work, didn't want to spend time maintaining the bike hence the aim for internal hub and belt (although the belt isn't that huge of a time saver). Also wanted to commute in everyday clothes and happy to sacrifice 5-10 min from the speed over changing.

That's why I was going for trekking/touring bikes with internal hub and belt - thought they're best of both worlds that let me commute in ok speed and also can work on the weekend with a child seat. Unfortunately didn't find many with both drop bars and internal hub. The only one is the Genesis above but thought shifters at the end of the drops don't work well for commuting in city traffic (could be wrong?).

What do you think? Super happy of you have any other bike suggestions or thoughts?

Many thanks in advance!
  • cougie
    Ah sorry eyes failing me. Thought they were STI. Bit weird to have to have them on the ends like that.
  • The Rookie
    I run a conventional geared bike, does about 1300 miles a year, total maintenance time was probably only a couple of hours last year, only about 1 hour of that would have been saved with a belt/hub gears.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    The Rookie wrote:
    I run a conventional geared bike, does about 1300 miles a year, total maintenance time was probably only a couple of hours last year, only about 1 hour of that would have been saved with a belt/hub gears.

I run conventional geared bikes too ... and Little Slowbike wants to join in with the maintenance. He's now seen how to split a chain, how to clean it. Polished the bikes - unfortunately, he got bored before I refitted the chain - perhaps next time.

Washing bikes? I take the hose out the front - give it to Little Slowbike and let him have some fun - obviously, I need to finish off ... I think LSB may be a year or two older than the OP's so there's a while yet - but I wouldn't select a bike for that short period of time based on maintenance ...
  • I own a cube travel pro,it commutes,does road and off road events,(nothing too fast) a good all-rounder. Gearing a little too high for me personally,but,low maintenance, hub Dyno lights,guards,rack. You can't really go wrong with either bike. Just make sure supplying dealer has good knowledge of belts and hub gears if you are unsure of self maintenance .