What type of bike do I need?

concorde
concorde Posts: 1,008
edited January 2019 in Commuting general
No clue where to put this really as I'm really not sure what to get! Roadie... Gravel... hardtail or just use my full sus.... :shock:

I want a bike I can ride to work, only 2.5 miles each way, quite hilly. That'll be 4 times a week then 4 days off. The days off I spend most my time with my daughter who is going to nursery half days starting January so the plan is drop her off then get some miles in! Carting the MTB about or driving to a trail limits the amount of miles I can do so thinking it's not best option...

Was eyeing up roadies then thought about a gravel bike... my commute can be done on either road or some bridleway and gravel paths. Right behind my house are some fields that lead to forest roads and then cycle routes and more fire roads and the Taff Trail.... so I'm thinking for that I'd like the gravel but then I'm looking at these gravel bikes and thinking that's just a rigid MTB! Lol. So thinking why not get a hardtail, one that's light and stick some semi slicks on it.

Also plan on taking the daughter in her Weeride seat on some rides so keep thinking the front suspension help soak up a bit for her on the rougher forest roads...

Really torn as to what I need.

It's a commuter but probably primarily for getting some decent mileage in and I prefer being off road than on it!

Any ideas be gladly taken on board...

Budget I'm unsure of, it's either cycle scheme up to a grand, or second hand looking for a grand bike and to pay half...

Currently eyeing up a Spesh diverge E5 elite?

Thanks in advance

MODS move if you think it'll be better received elsewhere. Thanks

Comments

• As a budget, go anywhere not too extreme bike, https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/ ... -20-frames at £320 once again is hard to beat.

It won't be as quick as a road bike with drop bars, but it will take at least 50mm tyres, giving you plenty of options for off the beaten track.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd be looking at cross or gravel bike.

Basically any bike can do what you're asking but cross and gravel can do well on road. MTBs not so much.

Hybrid would work too but no good for longer rides should you wish. Oh and if get one that has full mudguards too. 2.5 miles isn't worth a change of clothes.
  • concorde
    Thanks both. That hybrid does look great value for money. But I am edging on the side of I'd like some long rides and drop bars... whether I'm wrong but I'm still thinking gravel...

I can get this second hand (literally barely been ridden) for 400. It worth that?

Mechanical brakes probably only thing I can see but can upgrsde them when needs be?

https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized ... awQAvD_BwE
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,514
    If you want to ride with a front bike seat, drop bars are no good.

I have a Yepp mini on an old mountain bike and even changing to raised/swept back handlebars I still get headbutted in the chest by my daughter.
  • concorde
    monkimark wrote:
    If you want to ride with a front bike seat, drop bars are no good.

I have a Yepp mini on an old mountain bike and even changing to raised/swept back handlebars I still get headbutted in the chest by my daughter.

Didn't think of that!
  • mrkev83
    mrkev83 Posts: 184
    Hybrid seems the best option for what you're after. You could then get some bar ends for different hand positions.

The voodoo will do the job well without breaking the bank. If you've got the space just buy two bikes or hybrid for now and then as you get to doing more miles buy something specific
    http://www.strava.com/athletes/mrkev83

Built for comfort... Not for speed
  • concorde
    Picking up a one ride old Spesh Diverge E5 Elite later on for £400...
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Concorde wrote:

Bloody hell. THat's a heck of a bargain.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    You could use the bIke you have. For off road MTB is best. A 2.5 mile commute is short you can do it on any bike.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • concorde
    Concorde wrote:

It is! 4 weeks old, not a very far ride by the looks as it's immaculate. A grand in the shops!

Lad I had it off said he can't get used to a road bike! He had the handle bar drops about 90 degrees too far clockwise. Hard to explain, can't post a picture, but I'm pretty sure that's why he couldn't get used to it!
  • wolfsbane2k
    Concorde wrote:
    Concorde wrote:

It is! 4 weeks old, not a very far ride by the looks as it's immaculate. A grand in the shops!

Lad I had it off said he can't get used to a road bike! He had the handle bar drops about 90 degrees too far clockwise. Hard to explain, can't post a picture, but I'm pretty sure that's why he couldn't get used to it!

Yeah, I've just bought one!
    It's either he couldn't get on with it, or it's half inched.. check the bike register with the serial number.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • concorde
    Had the receipt off him also. Lived in a very nice area. But I'll have a check when I get in
  • wolfsbane2k
    Concorde wrote:
    Had the receipt off him also. Lived in a very nice area. But I'll have a check when I get in

Blimey - I'm really surprised by that - check with the business on the receipt that they bought it from - wow.
  • concorde
    All kosher. He bought it with cycle scheme voucher so guessing he probably shouldn't be selling it on after 3 weeks!
  • wolfsbane2k
    Concorde wrote:
    All kosher. He bought it with cycle scheme voucher so guessing he probably shouldn't be selling it on after 3 weeks!

Wow. That's how I'm doing mine.

It's not actually his to sell though, if that's the case, it's the business's, and it will have an outstanding hire purchase on it....
  • concorde
    Not my problem :D
  • it's 2.5 miles... I don't even know whether it makes any sense to buy a specific bike to ride 2.5 miles... you can walk 2.5 miles in 40 minutes, so any bike will do and none will be better than another, unless you are really after those 60 seconds difference.

I mean, are you really planning a n+1 for 2.5 miles???
    left the forum March 2023
  • concorde
    it's 2.5 miles... I don't even know whether it makes any sense to buy a specific bike to ride 2.5 miles... you can walk 2.5 miles in 40 minutes, so any bike will do and none will be better than another, unless you are really after those 60 seconds difference.

I mean, are you really planning a n+1 for 2.5 miles???

Did you read my post?
  • I see...

As a piece of advice... people read forums whilst doing something else, so if you can keep it brief and to the point is better.
    We don't need to know about your arrangements, how often you go to work, whether you drop your daughter or not is irrelevant... what you need is a bike that you can use all the time on and off road, that's it. Sounds like you need a gravel/cyclocross bike
  • https://www.decathlon.co.uk/riverside-9 ... 05264.html

This would tick all the boxes for the riding you do. It’s a bargain to boot. If you were doing longer distances / intensities, I’d recommend this.

https://www.cyclerepublic.com/boardman- ... -2019.html

or possibly this.

https://www.cyclerepublic.com/genesis-c ... -2019.html

I wouldn’t look at a full on CX bike, unless you actually intended to do CX events.
  • concorde
    I see...

As a piece of advice... people read forums whilst doing something else, so if you can keep it brief and to the point is better.
    We don't need to know about your arrangements, how often you go to work, whether you drop your daughter or not is irrelevant... what you need is a bike that you can use all the time on and off road, that's it. Sounds like you need a gravel/cyclocross bike

Not irrelevant at all, received many decent answers above, yours is the only irrelevant post I can see here ad you didn't even bother to read the first couple of lines.
  • Concorde wrote:
    I see...

Not irrelevant at all, received many decent answers above, yours is the only irrelevant post I can see here ad you didn't even bother to read the first couple of lines.

If you want to be right, then you are right...

Telling people off for not reading your lengthy post entirely won't do you any favour. I will make sure I don't read them at all in the future, so we don't waste each other's time.
  • bob7896
    bob7896 Posts: 18
    Concorde wrote:
    Not my problem :D
    Technically it is.
    If someone looked into it the company could claim the bike back off you.
    If you buy stolen property the police can take it off you.