Rouvy - everything you want to know

Casey@Rouvy
Casey@Rouvy Posts: 14
In this topic, our team will be regularly responding to your questions and request. Welcome to the official Rouvy thread.
https://rouvy.com/en/

Comments

• Have you already noticed we have an official "Rouvy" club on Strava? Just join in!

https://www.strava.com/clubs/rouvy
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    On the Android app there is an issue with the 30 minute Cycleops workouts which could do with receiving some attention.

Basically, the videos are slightly out of sync with the actual workout and corresponding changes of resistance. The guy on screen therefore ends up telling you to start the interval 30 seconds or so after it has actually started.

The workouts are still doable if you keep the sound off and basically ignore the onscreen video but obviously that rather spoils it!
  • MrB123 wrote:
    On the Android app there is an issue with the 30 minute Cycleops workouts which could do with receiving some attention.

Basically, the videos are slightly out of sync with the actual workout and corresponding changes of resistance. The guy on screen therefore ends up telling you to start the interval 30 seconds or so after it has actually started.

The workouts are still doable if you keep the sound off and basically ignore the onscreen video but obviously that rather spoils it!

Thanks for the notice! :wink: It was forwarded to responsible person in the office to make the correction.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,116
    I tried Rouvy on an Android tablet today, and thought it was fantastic. Great range of rides, great video, really involving. Definitely think this will be the indoor training app I'll use over the winter.

I've got an old 37in LG 720p TV sitting around since I upgraded to a 4k TV in the lounge. So I'm wondering if Rouvy would run on an Android TV box, to give me a pretty decent set up for the garage. I know it couldn't be the cheapest box because it would need to be Bluetooth 4.0, but there are quite a few that look like they might be viable from about £30 upwards e.g.
    https://www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc ... id=1433363

(I have lots of Xiaomi things e.g. phone, chargers, headphones and all have been fab)

Has anyone done anything like this and got it to work?

I know the easy thing to do would be to buy an Apple TV and run Zwift. However they are £100+, and you'd have to pay me that much to own anything made by Apple. Zwift are just lazy not bringing out a proper Android app.
  • Just signed up for a Rouvy trial. I quite like it. One big issue though, the videos look good on phone and iPad but when connected to my TV they're pretty poor quality.

Am I correct in assuming it's because I'm using a non Apple cable?
  • Any plans for an Apple TV App?
  • This. Especially because I've moved my PC away from my bike since I'm running Zwift on Apple TV.
    Any plans for an Apple TV App?
  • Seems like Rouvy are not as responsive as they suggested in an earlier post.
  • So despite the lack of input from the developers, is anyone actually using this? If so, any feedback?
  • mrb123
    So despite the lack of input from the developers, is anyone actually using this? If so, any feedback?

Yes. Really like it. Paid for a 12 month subscription last winter and reckon it's been decent value.

Loads of video routes to choose from. Quality is generally pretty good although some are better than others.

The workouts aren't up there with apps like Trainerroad but they're worth doing as a change from the video routes.

There's a feature whereby you can work up to different levels by completing different routes, workouts or challenges. Adds a bit of interest.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I tried it today but 1% gradients felt like 10% on virtual routes I created from routes I'd ridden. Not looking promising so far.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • super_davo
    I've managed to successfully get Rouvy to work on an Android TV box (MeCool M8S with S912 chip and 2g ram, cost me c£35).

Works well, video runs smoothly and the whole thing is much more immersive on a 37" tv vs a tablet.

Only things to note are that live streaming of videos doesn't work well; you really need a local download and they files are large (1-3gb) so take some time.

I do share the concerns over the gradients i.e. 1% feels like 10%. I find its also the same downhill i.e. on -1% to push a reasonable amount of watts I'm finding myself in 52/11 with the flywheel spinning like crazy which then makes a racket.

Toying with the idea of significantly reducing my weight in the settings to see if that improves the situation, though obviously that would distort the leaderboards. Be good if the Rouvy team that started the thread could come back and comment because it would be a great little set up if fixed.
  • The Rouvy team obviously don't need any new customers. Start thread and F off is not exactly good PR for the company.
  • mrb123
    Quite annoying that they've decided that all career progress is to be re-set from 1st October. I found it quite good motivation last winter to work up through the different levels doing all the required routes, workouts and challenges. Feels a bit poor form that they've suddenly decided that everyone has to start from scratch again.
  • Maybe this thread serves a purpose after all. It certainly has told me everything I want to know about Rouvy.
  • Maybe this thread serves a purpose after all. It certainly has told me everything I want to know about Rouvy.

It never ceases to amaze me just how bad 'young' companies are at PR and marketing. Pretty basic stuff.

FWIW I subscribed to FulGaz on the strength that Mike (it's his company) took the trouble to reply personally to a couple of emails.
  • MrB123 wrote:
    So despite the lack of input from the developers, is anyone actually using this? If so, any feedback?

Yes. Really like it. Paid for a 12 month subscription last winter and reckon it's been decent value.

Loads of video routes to choose from. Quality is generally pretty good although some are better than others.

The workouts aren't up there with apps like Trainerroad but they're worth doing as a change from the video routes.

There's a feature whereby you can work up to different levels by completing different routes, workouts or challenges. Adds a bit of interest.

I use both Rouvy and Zwift to mix things up. They both have their pluses and minuses. With Rouvy I like that I get to pick the ride and can ride anywhere in the world. Most of the legendary Grand Tour climbs are covered. I like the ability to select virtual racing partners that are close to me in ability, which I find is a motivator. The downside is the video quality varies from route to route. I have not encountered any buginess with the software and there seems to be regular updates
  • mrb123
    Anyone tried the new augmented routes yet?

The premise is an interesting one - you ride a video route as normal (there are roughly 10 routes available at present) but you appear on the screen as an animated avatar and other people riding that route at the same time as you also appear. So it's a bit like Zwift I suppose but with a real video backdrop rather than computer graphics.

First impressions are pretty positive. The video routes themselves are excellent quality. There are also some nice touches such as signs appearing at the side of the road to tell you about gradient changes and banners over the road where the split times are taken. The graphics of the riders are not amazing but they do the job.

I haven't participated in any of the group rides yet so it remains to be seen how it all works when there are lots of people on the same route. I have tried it using the virtual partner mode which works well, the VP appearing on screen as another rider.

Hopefully all this new functionality isn't going to lead to a significant increase in pricing!
  • StillGoing
    Giving this a try at the moment with a Premium account. The instructions for various bits are a bit lacking in translation such as adding family to the account and still haven't figured out how to add a real partner to a ride. I'm using a Direto via BTE or ANT+ on Windows and iOS and haven't suffered any drop outs. Images don't appear to be too stuttery. The resistance though, seems to be OTT. 1% gradients are feeling like 6%. Possibly need to check the belt tension on the Direto again and re-calibrate.

On the whole though, a better experience than Zwift for me, although I'm not a fan of Zwift anyway.
  • mrb123
    philthy3 wrote:
    Giving this a try at the moment with a Premium account. The instructions for various bits are a bit lacking in translation such as adding family to the account and still haven't figured out how to add a real partner to a ride. I'm using a Direto via BTE or ANT+ on Windows and iOS and haven't suffered any drop outs. Images don't appear to be too stuttery. The resistance though, seems to be OTT. 1% gradients are feeling like 6%. Possibly need to check the belt tension on the Direto again and re-calibrate.

On the whole though, a better experience than Zwift for me, although I'm not a fan of Zwift anyway.

Maybe try calibration either through Rouvy or the Elite My Training app. I have the same setup (Rouvy/Direto) and gradients seem spot on.
  • super_davo
    I tried the augmented routes yesterday and it's a big improvement. Far smoother video, way more engaging with the virtual riders; couldn't help chasing them so my average power was up significantly.
    I don't think they've fully fixed the savage changes in resistance in respect to gradient: but the effect is much reduced on purely uphill routes, as most of the AR routes are. The change from 3 to 6% feels about right, for example, it's the change from 0 to 3% or minus to anything positive that feels brutal.
    I did most of the ride in 36 flicking between the 21, 23 and 25 which is consistent with what I would do outside on a real mountain climbing.
  • StillGoing
    After calibrating the Direto again, still couldn’t get the resistance realistic in the low gradients. As someone else mentioned, 1-3% is harsh. Couldn’t calibrate within Rouvy, so for me it’s a no and I’ll stick with TrainerRoad and head back to Sufferfest for entertainment.
  • Are people still using rouvy?

Im in the 2 week trial and quite like it but feel i havent got that deep into it yet.

Still new to smart training so dont know if i will prefer alternatives like zwift or trainerroad.
  • tyke999
    tyke999 Posts: 50
    I am using the free trial on my iPhone 8 plus...Found that although I have linked it to Strava...the data/rides are not uploading .....

Secondly when will it be available to use on a computer ?
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Tyke999 wrote:
    It is.
  • tyke999
    tyke999 Posts: 50
    Sniper68 wrote:
    Tyke999 wrote:
    It is.

only for Windows ...I run Macs so will have to wait :(
  • StillGoing
    Tyke999 wrote:
    Sniper68 wrote:
    Tyke999 wrote:
    It is.

only for Windows ...I run Macs so will have to wait :(

Using it on an iPad with a Neo and it works fine now.
  • super_davo
    In terms of whether to continue using Rouvy, for Android there's only really Rouvy and Trainerroad at the moment.

Zwift have an Android app, but it's very limited. No Ant + is an absolute killer for me.

Rouvy is a decent option for me because it's one of the cheaper packages, and it works nicely on an old TV and cheap Android TV box. I find the concept of Rouvy more engaging than Trainerroad so I use it more, hence it's giving me better results.

If you're on the iOS ecosystem or have a PC with a decent graphics card there are lots of other options. If you have nothing then an Apple TV box can run most of the big packages. I would definitely use Zwift along with 90% of my club if I didn't have an aversion to buying anything made by Apple. I suspect I'll crack and get a new laptop specifically for that use case at some point in the next few months.
  • Im an android user so zwift a no go till its supported fully.

Really enjoying it. First few times the gradient was harder and wasnt keen on the feeling but now im used to it and find my pedal stroke more consistant on it.

What i dnt like is going downhill. Although its easier my wattage stays high as i feel the need to power down so i dont seem to recover.
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    Couple of questions re Rouvy:

- what sort of Android devices are people using it with, ie. phone or tablet? Is it actually usable on a phone screen (handlebar mounted) or are you mirroring/connected to a big screen also?

- what subscription level is recommended? ie. worth paying up for the 'premium' routes?

Not used it myself, just interested in learning a bit more about the options available to me...