awww crap :( rotor 3d crankset bolt

tapitout
tapitout Posts: 42
edited January 2019 in Workshop
hi

i have a rotor 3d chainset

i have completely unscrewed and removed the non drive side fixing bolt :(

apparently its not meant to come out

i tried to fix the non drive side crank arm back on but now the bolt has got tight and i think it has cracked/split inside
and now my allen key wont fit it :(

so i have a crank arm which is now half on :?

anyone any ideas...
thanks!

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Velotech Services are the UK Distributor for Rotor - try dropping them an email
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Velotech Services are the UK Distributor for Rotor - try dropping them an email

And then when you find out how expensive they are, phone the US distributor who even with shipping will fix it for much less.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • tapitout
    haha thanks

ive emailed them

i dont know how they will be able to help me

i have a crank with a bolt stuck in the middle :/

have to drill it out somehow :/

but who knows if a replacement bolt will even go in

i hope i havent just broken my crank arm by removing the bolt

wonder if they will suggest i need a whole new chainset
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    WORST case scenario - you need a new crank ARM, not set. They sell single arms.

What size do you need? I have several 172.5mm spares.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    velotech will sort it for £25

I emailed them about the same issue recently.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    maddog 2 wrote:
    velotech will sort it for £25

I emailed them about the same issue recently.

That's good to know actually. The bolts on some of my crank arms could use replacing.
  • tapitout
    they were quite quick to get back

they do an arm swap, send them the broken one get it replaced with a new one for £50 or a recondition one for £25

thing is the crank is still stuck on the bike, i didnt think it was tight on but it would appear it is :/

i know have a broken crank arms stuck on my bike.... bugger

how am i meant to get it off? should i try cutting the bolt in the middle :/
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    how tight is it on?

If it's proper tight then you indeed will need to cut the pinch bolt off to release the arm.

If its not that tight then what I'd do is tap the crank axle towards the driveside, thereby sliding the axle through the NDS arm and eventually it'll fall off. You can use the NDS preload bolt to start the 'tapping-off' process but it'll only move it a few mm until it runs out of scope. After that I'd maybe find a washer that is the same size as the axle but less than the NDS arm hole and use that to bung up the axle to enable the tapping, if that makes sense :roll:
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • tapitout
    its hard to tell how tight its on

the bolt has bridged the gap between the two threaded sides of the arm but only screwed in a couple of mm or so

so use something that is as big as the axle/spindle but smaller than the crank arm put it on top of the axle and tap the axle through the frame

not sure how wise using the preload bolt would be as its not that strong and is threaded and you run the risk of breaking the threads? yea and then after that bung stuff on top of the axle to provide a cushion to tap onto?

ok might try that

thanks mate

might buy one of those rubber mallet things first

bit worried about putting pressure through the frame

i tried tapping the non drive side crank arm off but dont think that was the best method / didnt seem to work too great
  • Pokerface wrote:
    WORST case scenario - you need a new crank ARM, not set. They sell single arms.

What size do you need? I have several 172.5mm spares.
    I stripped the pinch bolt on my rotor 3D non drive side crank. Do you still have the spares you mentioned?
    I have a 24 mm spindle.thankd.
  • I have a stripped punch bolt on my rotor 3D non drive side crank arm(24mm spindle) Shimano bb, just wondering if you still have those spares ? Thx
  • My crank is a 175mm
  • That’s a 4 1/2 year old thread, and I’ve not seen Pokerface on here for years, but good luck.