Bluetooth headphones

mrb123
mrb123 Posts: 4,581
Does anyone have a recommendation for some decent headphones for use on the turbo? I seem to have just about killed off a pair of Powerbeats after a year of use.

Main requirements are wireless/Bluetooth, reasonable battery life and most importantly sweat resistance. Sound quality isn't massively important and I'm not looking to spend a fortune.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    I'm not a connoisseur on headphones and indeed I often take them out as I find things more distracting than motivating but I bought some of these and find them quite nice:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Head ... b_title_ce

They stay in my ear nicely and the sound quality is good.
  • Headphones/ear buds on a turbo? Bloody awful, surely you'd just sweat hideously and get an earful of sweat.
  • mrb123
    I mean the little in ear type rather than the big headphones that completely cover your whole ear. I can imagine they'd be pretty unpleasant.

Thanks for that suggestion Supermurph. There seem to be a few similar options on Amazon that might do the job. Ones made by Anker seem to be quite well reviewed.

I've not tried any with the small hook like those ones so not sure whether they'd stay in my ears or whether I need to go for the type that have a bigger hook that goes right over the top of your ears like my Powerbeats had.
  • tyke999
    tyke999 Posts: 50
    MrB123 wrote:
    Does anyone have a recommendation for some decent headphones for use on the turbo? I seem to have just about killed off a pair of Powerbeats after a year of use.

Main requirements are wireless/Bluetooth, reasonable battery life and most importantly sweat resistance. Sound quality isn't massively important and I'm not looking to spend a fortune.

Any suggestions?

have you got a TK Maxx near to you?

They usually have loads of headphones on display just near to the pay desks.....I saw some bluetooth in ear and large types last week on sale...looked cheap too
  • mrb123
    Tyke999 wrote:
    MrB123 wrote:

Any suggestions?

have you got a TK Maxx near to you?

They usually have loads of headphones on display just near to the pay desks.....I saw some bluetooth in ear and large types last week on sale...looked cheap too

I'll have a look...
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I find the volume controls that are in the cord and dangle down really annoying as it swings about.

You can get some where the controls and battery are in the actual ear part, i find these much better. something like:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Headphones-Blu ... 4SHWZ8QKQ2

I haven't used these particular ones so can't vouch for the quality
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I use Anker soundbud slims for when I Zwift.
    They stay in my ears well and sound good enough.

The battery isn't great but they only cost £12/15 so I replace them when it starts to annoy me
  • courtmed
    courtmed Posts: 164
    I use these ones for running, dog walking etc as well & can't complain for the price

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073CP14HR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • mrb123
    courtmed wrote:
    I use these ones for running, dog walking etc as well & can't complain for the price

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073CP14HR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think I definitely need ones with some kind of hook. The ones without tend to fall out of my ears, must be a funny shape!
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    I would recommend these highly. Not sure if the inner ear hook of these is what you are after though.
    https://uk.creative.com/p/headphones-he ... utlier-one
  • mw22
    mw22 Posts: 78
    Chris Bass wrote:
    I find the volume controls that are in the cord and dangle down really annoying as it swings about.

You can get some where the controls and battery are in the actual ear part, i find these much better. something like:

I have actually got those.... and tons of others, these are my preferred ones.
    Sounds is pretty reasonable and the headphones have never fallen out (on turbo, or for running).
    Its probably my ears, but I dont find the cord dangles straight down, I seem to have the earpiece twisted a bit so the cord comes forward towards my cheek a bit - but I don't notice it too much during training.
    The flat cable has its pros and cons... doesnt tangle, but doesnt always sit flat (more of an issue for running than on turbo).
    I charge them after every few uses... and they connect to devices almost instantly. For what they cost, I'm more than happy with them,
    As per other posters - I hated controls on the wire, I needed hooks over ears as buds alone never stay in and these seem to negate all those points
    Road: Kuota Kebel
    TT: Canyon Speedmax
    Work: Norco search
  • mrb123
    mw22 wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:

I have actually got those.... and tons of others, these are my preferred ones.
    Sounds is pretty reasonable and the headphones have never fallen out (on turbo, or for running).
    Its probably my ears, but I dont find the cord dangles straight down, I seem to have the earpiece twisted a bit so the cord comes forward towards my cheek a bit - but I don't notice it too much during training.
    The flat cable has its pros and cons... doesnt tangle, but doesnt always sit flat (more of an issue for running than on turbo).
    I charge them after every few uses... and they connect to devices almost instantly. For what they cost, I'm more than happy with them,
    As per other posters - I hated controls on the wire, I needed hooks over ears as buds alone never stay in and these seem to negate all those points

I think I'm going to try those ones. They seem to tick all the boxes including design and waterproofing. For less than 20 quid they must be worth a punt.

Cheers all.
  • craigr
    craigr Posts: 53
    I got a set of these and work fine. Great sound quality and batteries have been fine for 90 minutes turbo work.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07CKQHCBL/
  • mrb123
    I have now got a pair of the MPWOW ones mentioned above by Chris Bass and recommended by mw22.

So far I'm pretty impressed. They come nicely packaged with a soft case, charging cable, spare ear pieces etc in the box. They seem well put together, charged up quickly and paired with my phone very easily. For me, having the volume controls on one of the earpieces rather than dangling on the cable is a definite advantage.

Time will tell on their longevity and waterproofness, but for 18 quid, I'll be happy enough if they do a year of sweaty turbo use.
  • I'm late to the party, but I've used Jabra Elite Active 65t in-ear phones and they've been great.
  • I've got a pair of these and they're perfect for cycling with: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00VG0XNIO/ ... DCb1HC84QM

The band at the back is semi-rigid so doesn't flop around everywhere. I've used them on a turbo for over a year and they've survived all the sweat I've soaked them with admirably. Sound quality isn't going to wow audiophiles, but it's decent enough. Oh and they're reasonably priced and the battery lasts for ages.
  • Bumo_b
    Bumo_b Posts: 211
    My better other half got me Titanium Aftershokz two Christmas's ago to use whilst out riding. Never really fancied music whilst out riding, but they have come into their own on the indoor trainer. Like you have knackered several other pairs through sweat ingress. The Aftershokz have been brilliant, although they do take a bit of getting use to and the sound is odd unless positioned correctly. Not cheap either.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Dannbodge wrote:
    I use Anker soundbud slims for when I Zwift.
    They stay in my ears well and sound good enough.

The battery isn't great but they only cost £12/15 so I replace them when it starts to annoy me

+1 for the Anker soundbud slims, I've not used them on a turbo (don't have one) but they are good and cheap enough not to worry about wrecking them.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava