What MTB for Peak District?

geomickb
geomickb Posts: 147
edited May 2019 in MTB buying advice
Hey,

I have been riding a Canyon Yellowstone (HT) for the last five years and I think it is time for a new bike.

I'm really not sure what to get. Most of my riding is in the Peak District, so it usually means some road. I don't ride very hard or fast.

I'm not sure if I should get full suss or another HT?

What would the benefit of full suss be for me?

Not really got a budget but usually buy middle of the range. I normally just look at the MBR HT of the year award.

I'm considering a Sonder Transmitter.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Mick

Comments

• billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    Based on what you've said, I'd suggest another HT.

FS are great if you want to charge down hills and they help absorb a lot of trail bouncer/chatter.

I've ridden HT's a lot in the Peaks and if you aren't doing anything too full on, then a HT might be better. A FS is awesome on the right terrain but certainly not a tarmac or Tissington Trail /Manifold Valley type of bike.

Can't really suggest much in the way of what to go for, but as you say, the bike reviews do help. Anything Vitus, Boardman, Voodoo or Calibre could be a good starting point.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • geomickb
    When I say Peak District I don't mean The Tissington Trail, I mean mountain biking.

Anything in the Vertebrae guides. Three Shires, Hayfield, Ladybower etc
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    geomickb wrote:
    When I say Peak District I don't mean The Tissington Trail, I mean mountain biking.

Anything in the Vertebrae guides. Three Shires, Hayfield, Ladybower etc

LOL - sorry - wasn't suggesting you were just doing the easy stuff.

I've done Ladybower on both HT and FS. That is something I would now prefer on my 140mm FS, but I've also had a blast on a 90mm travel HT. When on my FS I ride slightly differently and almost go looking for the small jumps etc and can be a bit more of a hooligan. The HT needs better line choice and climbs better and I get a better speed sensation but the FS is more `comfy`.

Any chance you can try/beg/borrow some bikes? There are always people up there from Coggers who might let you have a go?

Based on those routes, a FS might be better.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I've ridden in the PD since the 80s.
    Started on a rigid ATB,then various HTs and went FS in 2000.Rode FS for 10 years then built a HT so used both.Sold FS in 2015 as I preferred the HT,sold HT in 2016.
    I now go out there now and again on my Cyclo-cross(Cutgate/Ladybower etc) and really enjoy it on a rigid.
    From your OP I'd say another HT or both HT and FS if you can afford it as both offer different experiences!
  • geomickb
    Hey,

After doing a bit more recent riding and chatting with mate I think I am going to have another HT.

It is still looking like a Sonder Transmitter and I will go and do a demo when I have the cash.

Anything else I should be considering?

I have been looking at Cotic but I think these look a bit expensive.

Mick
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Cotic are not expensive really.You get what you pay for.
    If you like Steel frames then you can’t go far wrong.
  • Short travel FS ideal for the Peak IMHO but HT fine if that's your style. Personally would not enjoy a longer travel bike around the Peak as don't see the call for it, but plenty of folk ride them.

I have a transmitter but use it more as a winter bike for night riding. Great on anything technical, up and down, but up the mileage and it starts to feel ponderous to me. It was actually pretty bad with the stock rumpus wheelset but I've lightened it a bit with some i35s and it's now ok. I also have an anthem and tbh I'd always ride it in preference on any Peak ride.

Depends on your priorities - some folk would feel the opposite and find the anthem boring, and the transmitter way more fun. Thing with the Peak, though, is that the tracks don't tend to be technically difficult. I mean it's a massive area, there's obv difficult stuff to be found, but a lot of the classic Dark Peak bridleway stuff isn't going to be asking you any serious questions. It will definitely be taxing your fitness, though, so a chunky, upright bike like the transmitter does start to feel a bit taxing (for me) on longer stuff.
  • Looks like similar sort of riding all be it I am not in the peaks but more Norfolk based, lots of flat trails with the odd visit to a trail centre in wales or whatever.

I opted for a 2019 Anthem Advanced Pro 1

Figured no point lugging all the weight and travel around when it'll only really be of benefit 10% of the time and i'm sure (it's not arrived yet) that the Anthem will be absolutely fine on the rougher stuff so long as its not its primary purpose.

If you're interested a M 2019 Advanced Pro 1 Anthem without pedals weighs in at 10.75KG
  • geomickb
    Now all the "bike of the year awards" are appearing, I am getting very tempted with one of these:

https://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/full-susp ... 019-review
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Try fitting some wider tyres to your hardtail. Go tubeless and go lower pressure and that can really take some sting out of the trail.
  • geomickb
    Just ordered Canyon.