Commuting bike (15 km each way) around 1000 euro

Sokrates
Sokrates Posts: 2
edited January 2019 in Commuting general
Hello, I'm looking for a bike to start commuting to work.
The trip would be around 12 km each way with max 40 m of uphill.

I don't like the handlebar drop.
I would like the possibility to ride on dirty roads.
My budget is around 1000 euro

So far I have identified a couple of models:
- Trek FX Sport 4: Light, fast, nice gearing.
- Cannondale Bad Boy 3: Nice looking, more versatile than the trek but with worse gear and heavier. Slightly cheaper though.

I would have considered also the Canyon Urban 5 but the few review that I read are quite bad.

Would you suggest any other bike around the same budget?

Thanks!

Comments

• joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    IMO short commute + barely any climb = single speed / fixie bike time.
    Lack of gear components means you can get away with riding on muddier terrain without anything getting clogged up.
    Something like this can take up to 32mm tyres:

https://www.cyclerepublic.com/kona-padd ... -2018.html

And leaves loads of money left to spend on blow and ho's as MF would say.

This costs more and has drop bars but ticks your other boxes:

http://www.chargebikes.com/plug-1-disc/
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Whether a single speed works for you or not is very subjective, my commute isn't dissimilar and although I tried riding mine as a single speed none of them worked well enough for me due to the combinations of hills.

Not sure why people think off road means single speed, MTB's seem to cope just fine!

I'm guess you arent UK based so we won't know the best deals where you are.....
    Although shipping may cost a bit more, have a look at the flat barred Planet-X London Road, very comfy yet responsive frame and will take tyres upto skinny MTB size, stock wheels are a bit heavy but one of the better options is just in your budget* and with Euro brakes will come in at £825 + Shipping
    https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXLDNFL ... -road-bike

(there is some confusion over whether the brakes are cable BB& or hydraulic SRAM level, if they are cable paying £50 for the levers to be set up EU style seems poor value).

*Or order the Fulcrum Red Power they have under MTB wheels for £99 and have a second set of wheels for less overall outlay.

The Canyon Urban 5 is both hub geared and belt drive, both are very much 'love' or 'hate' options, hub geared is heavier but needs no TLC and is easier in operation (except if you puncture) and has the big advantage of changing gear while stationary, belt drive hasn't proven as reliable as originally predicted (life of bike) but if its kept clean with regular checks for trapped debris does offer a solution that is cleaner and neater than a chain (and doesn't rust!).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.