Max rider weight for full sus

Bikerider82
Bikerider82 Posts: 21
edited January 2019 in MTB beginners
Hi all.

New to the forum so hello.

Iam in the market for a new mountain bike after my trusty gumtree weapon voodoo hoodoo 29er got nicked the other month. I haven't been serious biking since 2013 when I had a fairly nasty off (using a fallen tree to stop) breaking my hand quite badly half way around dalby forest.

Iam 6ft4 and not exactly a rake and at the min weigh 18st. Slowly put the weight on since due to other health issues.

Looking into getting a new bike to get fit again. Would a full sus be advisable for someone my size. Although in a few months I'll be back to my normal weight of 15 stone.

Also I have a budget of 2k and could anyone recommend a good quality XL 21" plus full sus or hard tail that will last.

I have done a topic search to no joy and any help would be appropriated.

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    18st will be fine on a full suspension.
    If you look at Giant's sizing guide for example they state a maximum weight of the rider for an Anthem* of 136kg. That's about 21 and a half stone.

*Giant currently have a sale of 2018 MTB. The Anthem 2 is down to £1,960.
    If you want more travel the Trance 2 is reduced to a smidge under £2k.

Update: 2018 Anthem 2 is £1,800 from Paul's Cycles.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No issue unless you go for a super flyweight racer, besides the forks have to take the same extra weight you're asking the rear to!
    Obviously it's easier to stick to an air shock rather than having to swap coils until you find the right one!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Nice one thanks very much for the responses. Still researching what bike to get. It's absolute mine field out there. Not a clue where to start.