More depressing drugs news

pottssteve
pottssteve Posts: 4,069
edited January 2019 in The cake stop
From CyclingTips:

"90-year-old fails doping test, stripped of age group title and world record

In bizarre news, 90-year-old American Carl Grove has been stripped of a world record set at the Masters Track Nationals in mid-2018 after a urine test revealed the presence of epitrenbolone. A USADA press release reads as follows:

“While investigating the source of his positive test, it was also determined that a supplement Grove was using prior to July 11, 2018 was contaminated with clomiphene.

“During USADA’s investigation into the circumstances of his case, Grove provided USADA with information which established that the source of his positive test was more likely than not caused by contaminated meat consumed the evening before competing on July 11, 2018. Prior to consuming the meat, Grove had tested negative for prohibited substances during an in-competition test on July 10, 2018.”

Apparently he also tested positive for Werther's Originals....
Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs

Comments

• lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Do you know where Werthers Originals are lovingly made from an old traditional recipe ? You are probably thinking Somerset or Devon . The last packet I had said they were made in GERMANY! Maybe why those East Germans were so fast.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    *Alan Partridge shrug GIF*
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    There needs to be a thread for Trivial Things You Aren't Bothered By.

I'd start one but ICBA.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Robert88 wrote:

No but yes ...

Not overly bothered ... the age category competitions/records are just another filter to enable everyone to "win" ... although some of the times/distances set by "elderly" people is pretty impressive ... so not really bothered that someone wants to cheat ...
    But - pleased that it's picked up and dealt with - because it's not really on is it ... if you're going to compete - at least be honest about it....
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Slowbike wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:

No but yes ...

Not overly bothered ... the age category competitions/records are just another filter to enable everyone to "win" ... although some of the times/distances set by "elderly" people is pretty impressive ... so not really bothered that someone wants to cheat ...
    But - pleased that it's picked up and dealt with - because it's not really on is it ... if you're going to compete - at least be honest about it....

Have a friend who played in goal to a decent standard at hockey. We're late 40's now and a few years back he realised he was in with a chance of playing for the national squad for his age (masters or whatever it's called).
    He chose not to pursue it because only making the squad on the basis that those who actually were the best have hung up their boots having played at a national level in their prime was a daft pursuit.

Nothing but admiration for anybody riding in their 90's but who cares about records. It's a last man standing game.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    Age group stuff is something to aim for, no reason people should stop being competitive or not have goals just because they are past their prime.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Age group stuff is something to aim for, no reason people should stop being competitive or not have goals just because they are past their prime.

But how many people of that age aren't on meds?
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,385
    I'm soon to be 54 and play rugby every week. This means that I have qulaified to play for vets (35+) for 19 years . . . as long as I was qualified to play "senior" rugby.

Thing is with anything "vets", you're the best you're ever likely to be when you first qualify for it . . .
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Don't see any issue with goal setting. Personal goals though. Sport is about absolutes. You are either trying to be the very best or your personal very best. As soon as you start categorising, it all gets a bit murky IMHO.
    That leads to the obvious questions about gender and para sports. Do I have the answers, not necessarily,it's a nuanced issue and different people would draw lines in different places?
    Suffice to say it does get murky when para sports get reclassified and now so and so who was a medal contender is now an also ran.
    The fastest 90 yo... not sure it means anything.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,320
    His main sponsor - Fixodent, have pulled out.

Don't worry, i'm getting my coat.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    morstar wrote:
    Don't see any issue with goal setting. Personal goals though. Sport is about absolutes. You are either trying to be the very best or your personal very best. As soon as you start categorising, it all gets a bit murky IMHO.
    That leads to the obvious questions about gender and para sports. Do I have the answers, not necessarily,it's a nuanced issue and different people would draw lines in different places?
    Suffice to say it does get murky when para sports get reclassified and now so and so who was a medal contender is now an also ran.
    The fastest 90 yo... not sure it means anything.

Of course it does it means the fastest 90 year old. I played football, I was never going to be the very best or play for Brazil or Real Madrid but I still took pleasure from winning local leagues. I'm sure no veteran cycle champions think they should get equal billing with Peter Sagan but if sporting achievements mean anything then age group wins mean something.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    saw he was claiming the contaminated meat line in the guardian today, or at least highlighting USADA cant categorically prove it wasnt an adverse finding caused by contaminated meat
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    awavey wrote:
    saw he was claiming the contaminated meat line in the guardian today, or at least highlighting USADA cant categorically prove it wasnt an adverse finding caused by contaminated meat

It mentions that in the OP, it actually says USADA considered it more likely than not that it was due to contaminated meat.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Pross wrote:
    awavey wrote:

It mentions that in the OP, it actually says USADA considered it more likely than not that it was due to contaminated meat.

sorry missed that bit, I thought the way id I read it originally he popped for a known drug use, like they had a case in the states not so long ago in one of the other veteran/amateur cats, its just saw the article in the Guardian today, and then it seemed to spread onto some of the cycling sites too, and the way it was presented was like a new interview,as he talks about not quitting, going for the hour record and that there should be an age cutoff for drug testing and so on.