Neo bike available this month

redvision
redvision Posts: 2,958
So it's finally here and what a bargain price :lol:

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Tacx/N ... gLPhvD_BwE

Convenience is one thing but at this price point I think they are being a tad ambitious.

The wattbike atom is £700 cheaper. Granted reviews suggest that's not perfect but no doubt there will be some teething gremlins for the neo bike in its early days. Still, I look forward to reading user reviews.

I fully expect (hope) a mid range version and rival models to come along in the next 6-18 months, hopefully dropping the price into a more affordable range.

Comments

• chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    those fans don't look up to much!

You could buy a neo and a decent bike fir that, i don't see why anyone would want this?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • redvision
    Chris Bass wrote:

You could buy a neo and a decent bike fir that, i don't see why anyone would want this?

I know. My thoughts exactly.
    I guess it will appeal to some purely for the convenience - no faffing putting bike on etc. And I think the built in computer is a nice touch. But the price is ridiculous, especially given how much cheaper the wattbike is.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    redvision wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:

I know. My thoughts exactly.
    I guess it will appeal to some purely for the convenience - no faffing putting bike on etc. And I think the built in computer is a nice touch. But the price is ridiculous, especially given how much cheaper the wattbike is.

Looks like its aimed at the City Bankers who are due their bonuses pretty soon... :shock:
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • redvision
    Aww that's nice. Those bankers have such a hard time, I'm glad a company has made something for them :lol:
  • grahamcp
    grahamcp Posts: 323
    In some ways I really like the concept - nice clean look, adjustable for different riders i.e. my O.H. would be able to use it without too much faff. But the price!!! And I agree those fans do not look like they would achieve much.

I guess there will always be some people who want the latest/shiniest/most expensive thing so I'm sure they will sell a few.

The logistics also put me off - what happens if it goes wrong, for that price I'd want an engineer to visit and fix any issues. Must be an absolute nightmare if it needs returning.
  • :lol: at those fans, there to provide virtual sensation of movement, rather than help you cool!

That price and 50Kg! :shock:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    Chris Bass wrote:

There's a reasonable chance I'll buy the "version 2"* of this in, say, 3 years time when they eventually release that...

Last year I was looking for the best turbo setup I could get, considered an Atom amongst other things, and plumped for a Neo + purpose-built turbo mule bike. The all-in cost was about 2/3 of the cost of the Neo Bike. I run two turbo setups in two separate locations, and the Neo Bike could/might/would replace one of these (the non-Neo setup).

I have nothing but praise for the Neo. I am at a loss to explain why other manufacturers are not also pursuing the "motor brake" route that Tacx has followed, as it offers numerous advantages to the legacy technology :lol: used by the various "eddy current brake" trainers (ie. all other smart trainers). I can only guess other manufacturers just don't yet possess the know-how, but in time I'd expect other high-end trainer designs to eventually follow a similar path to Tacx's Neo motor brake design. :wink:

Cost-aside (although it's a price I would pay *if* it performs as well as I expect it to), the main drawback of the Neo Bike that I see is the logistics issue mentioned (which applies to all hefty gym equipment): delivery, repairs, returns, reselling all bring potential massive headaches, that a separate trainer/bike setup circumvents.

So I'll watch what happens with the Neo Bike with mucho interest.

* with bigger/more/more-powerful magnets so it can handle (resist) higher torque than the current Neo resistance units, maybe their only real weakness, manifesting as 'virtual tyre slip' when applying very high pedal forces in very low gears.