Powdercoating costs

option_click
option_click Posts: 169
edited January 2019 in Workshop
I'm looking to have a stem blasted & powdercoated in a standard RAL colour.

What would be a reasonable cost in your opinion? I've had a quote and to me it seems high - just wanting to get some comparisons (and potential recommendations). London/SE

Comments

• Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    you could buy the kit suitable to prepare and then apply the coating for less than £100 on ebay. slap it in the oven at 180 - 200 degrees to cure.

you might spend £50 to £100 to get it done for you.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Any reason why you want powdercoat in particular? Personally, I'd just go for wet spray, which is going to be much easier, cheaper and almost certainly DIY in a way that powdercoat won't be...
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    a stem? £25. you can get a frame done for £80 at most places.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    i need a frame done, i got it redone by Argos but its a shite job.
  • I already had a go DIYing using SprayBike which looked ok, but it wasn't a close enough match so it really bugs me (more than it should TBH).
    Also the finish is starting to chip already, despite decent prep and coats of laquer.

I'd love to find somewhere that'd do it (well) for £25 - care to recommend anywhere MF?
    Good to know that my quoted price is actually in line with some of the figures above - that's good enough for me.

Thanks all
  • defycomp2
    defycomp2 Posts: 252
    If you are in Cornwall contact Daften in Wadebridge. IIRC my Charge was blasted and coated for £40 in a standard RAL colour a couple of years ago.
    Summer - Giant Defy Composite 2 (Force 22) (retd)
    Cannondale Synapse Sram Red ETap
    Winter - Boardman CX Team (Rival X1 Hyd)
  • Matthewfalle
    I already had a go DIYing using SprayBike which looked ok, but it wasn't a close enough match so it really bugs me (more than it should TBH).
    Also the finish is starting to chip already, despite decent prep and coats of laquer.

I'd love to find somewhere that'd do it (well) for £25 - care to recommend anywhere MF?
    Good to know that my quoted price is actually in line with some of the figures above - that's good enough for me.

Thanks all

Triple S in Bingley are excellent - they did my RGV for me - frame, swingarm, foot peg hangers, engine xasings, brackets, etc.

Not the cheapest but really efficient, excellent work, great postal service.

Very recommended.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    here they are

http://www.triple-s.co.uk

generally one week turnaround from when they recive the parts: all comes back bubble wrapped & boxed perfectly.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.