Question on face scarf (snood, buff, etc.)

Cheeseface22
Cheeseface22 Posts: 133
edited January 2019 in Commuting general
Hello winter cyclists,

I have a question on how to make face scarf more comfortable.

I started wearing a thick fleece lined snood to minimise coughs and chill around face and neck, which works for me. But the fleece snood I have is a bit too short and too thick.

So I got Buff (cold) for Christmas. I like it, but two small niggles:

1) It tends to gradually slip off my nose and mouth during the course of my commute and I have to take off my hand (wearing gloves makes it a bit challenging) of the handle bar to adjust it.

2) the material is a lot thinner than the fleece snood I have, thus it tends to "suck in" to my mouth which slightly annoys me when I'm breathing heavy (like going fast on the flats or on uphills). I tried doubling up the layer over the mouth but then that noticeably inhibits the permeability...

Tricks and tips from fellow experienced and wiser cyclists would be very helpful figure out what I can do to improve on these two niggles.

Thanks very much and happy cycling!

Comments

• Thanks oxoman,

Usually I rear a cap under the helmet. I've seen a way to fold Buff into a balaclava so I might try that instead of wearing the cap (I may look less friendly to other road users?).

It sounds like I have to live with the two niggles. Much better, though, than not having a face scarf at all.
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    Try positioning the rear higher up on the back of your head, so it covers (at least) half your ears. That way, the front is always being pulled slightly upward. It may be a bit tighter that way, so should help stop the sucking in problem.
    If it's cold enough, I wear two. The lower buff is worn as described, in a single layer so it covers my neck, and goes on first. The upper buff, is doubled over, covering my forehead and helping keep the rear of the lower buff in place

Edit: Got about 6 from here for around £20
    https://safishing.com/how-to-wear/
  • WTF
    WTF Posts: 52
    Usually wear my one with it covering ears over my nose and back of head which stops it slipping down.
    You could get ski ones which have slit for breathing through if thats what bothers you also.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I use my buff to cover my ears when it's cold and to cover the neck when it's colder. Never had to cover the rest of my face though. How cold is it where you are - are other people covering their faces ?
  • Andy9964 wrote:
    Try positioning the rear higher up on the back of your head, so it covers (at least) half your ears. That way, the front is always being pulled slightly upward. It may be a bit tighter that way, so should help stop the sucking in problem.

I tried this (covering ears and bring it up to the back of the helmet ratchet mech) on my commute this morning and it seems to work for me. Buff doesn't seem to slide down as much and the sucking dimished noticeably (due to Buff being stretched more, I guess).

So, thanks Andy and others who suggested similar!
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    I would question going out in the buff, especially in this weather!
  • I have a long one (the d2d one is about £5). Pull it right up over my ears and nose, put a normal cap over the top (so it just covers the snood around the back of my head, put helmet on, then pull down just under mouth, so covers chin.

I struggle to think of a time when I am breathing so heavily in such cold conditions that it would be an issue.

If it's that cold it's likely to be a more moderate spin.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Buff round my neck only if its sub about -3, nothing over mouth and face unless its really cold (circa -7 or below, mine is tight enough to stay put, they tend to suck in once they get moisture laden, which is why I only use it when really cold, although then they sometimes freeze solid anyway), lycra headband to prevent wind chill on ears if its freezing (literally and not metaphorically).

If your cold already this year it means your not trying hard enough!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I use a windproof headband covering the whole ears and a wool beanie over that (I don't commute with a helmet). I find that the wool beanie alone, or any of my hats for that matter, ride up when riding and exposes the lower parts of the ears which can be really painful in low and sub zero temps.

For road riding I do have a merino balaclava which can obviously cover pretty much everything and fits under a helmet. With the balaclava I prefer to ride with the mouth and nose exposed both for the issue of sucking in the balaclava and because when breathing out it shunts moist air up onto the glasses causing them to steam up.
  • Thanks oxoman,

Usually I rear a cap under the helmet. I've seen a way to fold Buff into a balaclava so I might try that instead of wearing the cap (I may look less friendly to other road users?).

It sounds like I have to live with the two niggles. Much better, though, than not having a face scarf at all.

When you fold it like a balaclava, it ends up with two layers over the mouth area - I wear it like that and with a merino hat on top when it's properly cold.