monday high in the squinch a pineapple is lurking

sungod
sungod Posts: 16,515
edited January 2019 in The bottom bracket
'ning

office of gmc, coffees, snacks, do stuff, bail early, really not in the mood to work and there's still february to come

must arrange to go somewhere sunny
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, mild but windy, I have been left instructions to clean / wash the conservatory roof, so I might wash the car as well, that will leave the afternoon to go cycling
    I could do with some sunshine too Sungod
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,141
    +1 for sunshine. It's pitch black outside here.
    Damp again this morning but not too cold.

Today we have 12 people due in, but only 11 desks which could be interesting.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    pitch black here. final day of herding children. need coffee.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Family fed and watered and pushed out the door. On the bus today as I have to visit the dentist so she can kick my teeth in.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Morning, dark and damp here. It was heavy, dark mist yesterday too so I feel like it's been nighttime for a weirdly long time. Coffee, faff, then out for a meeting later on. Need to buy a new suit for a meeting on Thursday, though I could try to risk it with my current one. It sounds silly but it is immensely important that I don't bugger this up.

Went for a solo 85 miler on Saturday, felt great for quite a bit of it and I did a new climb I've been eyeing for a while. I have realised that the front end of the Argon is just too low for me though, it has this silly headset insert which lifts the upper bearings to just under the stem. Luckily I left enough steerer to put 1.5cm of spacers on top spare so I'll swap it around for the next long ride. When I'm on the drops my hands are lower than the front tyre currently... For anything under 3 hours it's an absolute beast of a bike, the last 15-20 miles on Saturday was nearly unbearable
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,859
    Work and no exercise is today as I rest my leg
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,559
    HaydenM wrote:
    Morning, dark and damp here. It was heavy, dark mist yesterday too so I feel like it's been nighttime for a weirdly long time. Coffee, faff, then out for a meeting later on. Need to buy a new suit for a meeting on Thursday, though I could try to risk it with my current one. It sounds silly but it is immensely important that I don't bugger this up.

Went for a solo 85 miler on Saturday, felt great for quite a bit of it and I did a new climb I've been eyeing for a while. I have realised that the front end of the Argon is just too low for me though, it has this silly headset insert which lifts the upper bearings to just under the stem. Luckily I left enough steerer to put 1.5cm of spacers on top spare so I'll swap it around for the next long ride. When I'm on the drops my hands are lower than the front tyre currently... For anything under 3 hours it's an absolute beast of a bike, the last 15-20 miles on Saturday was nearly unbearable
    My neck hurts just thinking about that. I almost exclusively ride MTB these days and have trouble even with a flat bar on those.

Back to work today. Meh.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Morning, very dull again, no hint of sunlight breaking through yonder window or cloud.

Very twitchy quad muscles today so lots of punching them and going on random wanders. Order of the day is to make some kind of order out of the day and the rest of the year so need to find a book of some kind to do that in (never got on with digital planners for some reason).
    Later a nap, by later I mean around 11AM then some more work and coffee then home an relax.
  • haydenm
    HaydenM wrote:

My neck hurts just thinking about that. I almost exclusively ride MTB these days and have trouble even with a flat bar on those.

Back to work today. Meh.

There was an option to go with a 1.5cm lower insert which was slammed to the head tube, no idea who rides it like that. The frame is completely tiny even by my standards. My legs didn't feel too bad on the ride, it was my back and neck that died
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,559
    HaydenM wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

Back to work today. Meh.

There was an option to go with a 1.5cm lower insert which was slammed to the head tube, no idea who rides it like that. The frame is completely tiny even by my standards. My legs didn't feel too bad on the ride, it was my back and neck that died
    Back in my BBN* days, when I was considerably more fit, flexible and, er, slim, I built a roadie which was a frame size or two small really, but had a long effective TT. Stuck a beanpole seat post in it, a 140 mm stem and shallow drop bars and rode it for.... about 10 km before realising it may have looked great but it was going to cause premature death disease. Which was a shame as the frame was fabulous otherwise to ride.

* Before Broken Neck
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • haydenm
    There is only so much torture you can endure before you give up.

I think I'm generally used to riding bikes which are marginally too big as no one really makes bikes that are too small for 164cm oompa loompas unless you get kids bikes. On the plus side, the Argon is so small it's not only aero but lighter than any bike I have ever owned, if you believe in that sort of thing...
  • Matthewfalle
    HaydenM wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

Back to work today. Meh.

Back in my BBN* days, when I was considerably more fit, flexible and, er, slim, I built a roadie which was a frame size or two small really, but had a long effective TT. Stuck a beanpole seat post in it, a 140 mm stem and shallow drop bars and rode it for.... about 10 km before realising it may have looked great but it was going to cause premature death disease. Which was a shame as the frame was fabulous otherwise to ride.

* Before Broken Neck

this - i had a race bike that was a size smaller than normal so nothing outrageously small, looked sooooo cool. unrideable for me and left me in agony unable to breath. gutted because it looked so cool.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,315
    Spacers - commensurate with age.

I have an alu Pinarello with carbon forks that just might fit you HM.

What's the Pineapple doing up there?

Wet here.

Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • haydenm
    Pinno wrote:
    Spacers - commensurate with age.

I have an alu Pinarello with carbon forks that just might fit you HM.

What's the Pineapple doing up there?

Wet here.

Laters.

I'm only 27, I'm still aiming for greater flexibility, not less!

Ohh interesting, size?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,406
    Gloomy ride in - seemed to be darker than at the equivalent time last week, but very comfortable as I don't go in for any of this curly barred nonsense (yet) :)

Currently stuffing my face and trying to finish off my tax return - feel sorry for most people who have to do them as some of it makes my head hurt...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Sat at my desk and wishing I wasn't. Craving a nice hot mince pie with a bit of brandy butter melting into the filling.

Mrs H3 has planned this year's summer holiday inside out and back to front. She tried to tell me about it last night, I said I wasn't interested as I don't want to go to Florida, and never have done because a) I am not a geriatric from fcken South Dakota who is fed up with the cold, b) I am not a taxi driver/builder from Essex who doesn't like forrins with his summer holiday, c) I don't care for golf/alligators/swamps (Florida specific) and Americans & Americana (USA specific).

She got the hump until I said it was exactly the same as me trying to interest her in grinding up mountains, or flying down them on skis. I am only going because apparently my daughter will be enraptured with fcking Disneyland/world/whatever it is in Orlando.

So I'm going to fcken Florida. All over it. Miami, Boca Raton, Orlando, St. Petersburg, Key Largo, Key West, back to Miami. I'm going to be fcken knackered by the time I get back. That's another thing - the flight time. With children, so I can't just take a valium and dribble down myself for the entire flight.

Totally aware that this is very much a 1st world problem, with gilt-edges, but still... for me, this is a :roll: of a holiday.

Suggesting something else brought severe stares and threats of evil things. Mini had better like the Mickey Mouse thing. The boy has already said that he can't be @rsed with Mickey, so that's 2 of us.
  • Matthewfalle
    hopkinb wrote:
    Sat at my desk and wishing I wasn't. Craving a nice hot mince pie with a bit of brandy butter melting into the filling.

Mrs H3 has planned this year's summer holiday inside out and back to front. She tried to tell me about it last night, I said I wasn't interested as I don't want to go to Florida, and never have done because a) I am not a geriatric from fcken South Dakota who is fed up with the cold, b) I am not a taxi driver/builder from Essex who doesn't like forrins with his summer holiday, c) I don't care for golf/alligators/swamps (Florida specific) and Americans & Americana (USA specific).

She got the hump until I said it was exactly the same as me trying to interest her in grinding up mountains, or flying down them on skis. I am only going because apparently my daughter will be enraptured with ******* Disneyland/world/whatever it is in Orlando.

So I'm going to fcken Florida. All over it. Miami, Boca Raton, Orlando, St. Petersburg, Key Largo, Key West, back to Miami. I'm going to be fcken knackered by the time I get back. That's another thing - the flight time. With children, so I can't just take a valium and dribble down myself for the entire flight.

Totally aware that this is very much a 1st world problem, with gilt-edges, but still... for me, this is a :roll: of a holiday.

Suggesting something else brought severe stares and threats of evil things. Mini had better like the Mickey Mouse thing. The boy has already said that he can't be @rsed with Mickey, so that's 2 of us.

all is not lost - let me send you route we did that made it really nice.

miami is very cool, especially the art deco area.

key west is an utter sh2thole though - full of old people doing pub crawls. minimal time or avoid completely is advised.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Stevo_666
    hopkinb wrote:

She got the hump until I said it was exactly the same as me trying to interest her in grinding up mountains, or flying down them on skis. I am only going because apparently my daughter will be enraptured with ******* Disneyland/world/whatever it is in Orlando.

I forgot to say when you first mentioned Florida that the worst part of it is those bl00dy theme parks :P
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Cold and dark here.

Mrs HD thought it would be a good idea to put the two halves of the quilt together yesterday to make some super 975.5 tog duvet. I woke up pished wet though at 5am with sweat!
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Cold and dark here.

Mrs HD thought it would be a good idea to put the two halves of the quilt together yesterday to make some super 975.5 tog duvet. I woke up pished wet though at 5am with sweat!

Although doubling up on the duvet is the more likely culprit, don't entirely rule out the possibility that you may have contracted malaria or tuberculosis...
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,859
    keef66 wrote:
    Cold and dark here.

Although doubling up on the duvet is the more likely culprit, don't entirely rule out the possibility that you may have contracted malaria or tuberculosis...
    Or she waterboarded you / golden shower
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,515
    hopkinb wrote:
    ...Suggesting something else brought severe stares and threats of evil things. Mini had better like the Mickey Mouse thing. The boy has already said that he can't be @rsed with Mickey, so that's 2 of us.
    sounds like holiday hell

as mf says, the south beach art deco area is good, quite a mediterranean feel, we stayed in the park central (closed for refurb/rebrand at the moment) and walked everywhere, nice restaurants, the mumm napa bubbly was remarkably good, much was swigged

clearly you will not be allowed to go there :D
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I count myself as incredibly fortunate that by the time we could afford to take the kids to Disneyland they were too old to want to go. :D
  • Stevo_666
    keef66 wrote:
    I count myself as incredibly fortunate that by the time we could afford to take the kids to Disneyland they were too old to want to go. :D
    We did a day at Universal Studios last year and that was it. Will now spend more money on skiing holidays instead :)
  • Matthewfalle
    just been to see Bumblebee with the bambini: PG my backside - that should be a 12 or 15. Well violent.

Take the robot stuff out and it would rock - as it is the soundtrack is fantastic (lots of Smiths, Tears for Fears, Simple Minds) and its quite funny. Sh3t transformer robot stuff though.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    Evening folks,
    We went to Florida when I was about 17, memorable for all the wrong reasons. It was fookin’ hot and humid, temps into 3 figures Fahrenheit and humidity of about 97%. Tended to get into swimming pools to dry off. My elder sister and I found a place in Daytona Beach that would serve us beer, that was the only place. Even if the old man tried to order for us. To top it off whilst we were out there I found out a schoolmate was murdered at a party I was supposed to have gone to the night before flying out. Good job I didn’t go.
    Did I mention it’s really hot and humid in summer?
    Busy day in the office, new girl started today. Or I should say started again as she used to work for us. The office is a lot prettier than it was last week.
  • Matthewfalle
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Evening folks,
    We went to Florida when I was about 17, memorable for all the wrong reasons. It was fookin’ hot and humid, temps into 3 figures Fahrenheit and humidity of about 97%. Tended to get into swimming pools to dry off. My elder sister and I found a place in Daytona Beach that would serve us beer, that was the only place. Even if the old man tried to order for us. To top it off whilst we were out there I found out a schoolmate was murdered at a party I was supposed to have gone to the night before flying out. Good job I didn’t go.
    Did I mention it’s really hot and humid in summer?
    Busy day in the office, new girl started today. Or I should say started again as she used to work for us. The office is a lot prettier than it was last week.

any pics of her norks?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    florida.

one word.

NASA

Absolutely friggin' amazing. The MFs love NASA. Its so friggin' cool. The MFs are like children there because its so brilliant. They actually tried to arrang a transfer to a random US unit down there one time because they did stuff at NASA.

Did I mention NaSA was the coolest thing ever?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Stevo_666
    florida.

one word.

NASA

Absolutely friggin' amazing. The MFs love NASA. Its so friggin' cool. The MFs are like children there because its so brilliant. They actually tried to arrang a transfer to a random US unit down there one time because they did stuff at NASA.

+1

Kennedy Space Centre was the best thing by far when we went last year. Especially the Saturn V rocket display.

Easy solution for Hopper - he goes to Kennedy Space Centre with the boy and Mrs H3 goes to Disneyhelland with Mini.
  • Matthewfalle
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    florida.

one word.

NASA

+1

Kennedy Space Centre is the best thing by far in the world ever.

FACT. PERIOD.

FTFY - hope that is ok.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.