Opinions please: worn out or still some life left?

gbsahne001
gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
edited April 2019 in The workshop
Can't decide whether to replace the main ring on the CX....what do people think?

346tguf.jpg

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    That's properly worn out. And if you've ridden it like that for any distance the chain and cassette could be toast as well
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    When I saw the thread title then the author I thought it would be worn out purely by virtue of the mileage you do. Having seen the picture I reckon it's definitely worn out.
  • gbsahne001
    That's what I thought (circa 20k miles), new chain and cassette last week, so they should be fine, especially as I've not been on this bike very much, in the last week or so.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    It would make quite a good ninja throwing star if you want to take the top off somebody's head...
  • gbsahne001
    keef66 wrote:
    It would make quite a good ninja throwing star if you want to take the top off somebody's head...

one of my knuckles is testament to how sharp it is / was.....gone now, hopefully it will sort the creaking out as well
  • Doesn’t look too bad until you see the inner ring...... big dog all the way :D
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    MarkusW wrote:
    Doesn’t look too bad until you see the inner ring...... big dog all the way :D
    May as well go 1x by the looks of it, save weight and money!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gbsahne001
    MarkusW wrote:
    Doesn’t look too bad until you see the inner ring...... big dog all the way :D

yes but the big dog, isn't as big as some, being a CX & 46T
    The Rookie wrote:
    May as well go 1x by the looks of it, save weight and money!

For commuting, totally agree but the bike does occasionally get longer outings which require the inner, although at times I do think replacing the inner for a 32 or 34 would be nice (currently 36); going up Streatley Hill for instance was harder work than it should have been, still I got to the top faster than the rest of the group.
  • Change it quickly if you've just put a new chain on! That ring will munch the chain quick style.
  • gbsahne001
    Change it quickly if you've just put a new chain on! That ring will munch the chain quick style.

thread is over a year old and it's onto its 2nd or 3rd chain since the original post.. :D