How safe is the Leeds/ Liverpool canal towpath for women on a tour?

pilot_pete
pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
edited February 2019 in Tour & expedition
Quick question for those that know it ^^^^

My wife and a couple of friends are doing the Three Peaks challenge, but cycling between the mountains as well as climbing them in Spring.

Trying to help with the route between Snowdon and Scafell Pike and at the moment I am looking at the route to get from the ferry across the Mersey through Bootle and Litherland. The canal towpath would seem to be quietest, but just from street view on the bridges doesn’t look that welcoming. How safe is it for ladies cycling during daylight? Would you recommend it or can you offer an alternative?

Cheers all

PP

Comments

• Solis
    Solis Posts: 166
    I've rode and walked all of it east of Wigan to Leeds in sections on many occasions and cannot imagine them feeling in the slightest bit unsafe, never ventured on the section west of Wigan so can't comment.
  • pilot_pete
    Thanks Solis, I was thinking more the bit from the very start in Liverpool...

PP
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Over New Year, I went running/jogging 4 times along the canal towpath in Litherland/Netherton, about 4 km distance, each time early afternoon, and I would say it was very safe then (even the dog-owners being in control of their dogs!) But there are few cyclists, so unexpected by pedestrians, so don't forget to take and use a bell.
  • pilot_pete
    Thanks kned. Appreciated.

PP
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Good question as that route is on my tick list.

I live near Leeds and Ive used the canal quite a few times for cycling and running.

I can confirm its safe between Leeds city centre and Skipton ( I haven't been further than that). Especially during the day time, in fact around Leeds the biggest hazard will be the amount of dog walkers and pedestrians.

The surface is variable, around Leeds it was good smooth tarmac but I remember a section between Skipton and Keighley that was definitely an offroad MTB dirt track.

If you're looking for another good route. Edinburgh to Glasgow along their canal was a good one.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby