New smart trainer user, some advice needed

k3vinjam3s
k3vinjam3s Posts: 266
So went ahead and purchased the cycleops magnus that was recommended in my other thread. All set up and bike attached and im looking at using it later today. So far ive downloaded and linked the rouvy app. Everything linked well and reading everything in a free train spin i just had. All i had to do was the calibration run before starting. Is this needed everytime? Also anything else i should do before a session later and what programme on the rouvy app do people recommend for a 45min to 1 hour session?

Comments

• Had my first session and just done a pre loaded route in rouvy. It was around 40 mins with a few gradient changes. Wasnt sure how i should be tackling the changes in resistance. Do i stay in the same gear or change? I ended up changing gears to suit the gradient as i would a climb and came lost rhythm a few times. Is this the right approach?
  • I've yet to try Rouvy, but look in settings to see if uses ERG mode by default, if it does then it will attempt to make you use a given power output regardless of the gearing you have chosen. If you change gear and/or cadence in ERG mode, it will take a few seconds to recalibrate the resistance of say 200W.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    The Rouvy guide workouts are nice sessions, basically structured workouts with a video background on screen. They use ERG mode though so you'll need to have some idea of your FTP.

Otherwise just try one of the Augmented video routes. They simulate the correct gradients so you just change gear as normal.
  • MrB123 wrote:
    The Rouvy guide workouts are nice sessions, basically structured workouts with a video background on screen. They use ERG mode though so you'll need to have some idea of your FTP.

Otherwise just try one of the Augmented video routes. They simulate the correct gradients so you just change gear as normal.

So should i have been changing gears to suit the harder gradient/resistance?

I havent done a ftp test yet. Bit overtrained so rather do it a bit fresh. As for the session i just did it was called AR - north applegate. It was 12 miles long and my average power was 253w and took me 39 mins. I set my ftp as 175 in settings as i have no idea what mine actually is. Would this have made a difference, ie: if i set it higher would the same course be harder? Also is the average power a measure of ftp?
  • mrb123
    The video routes are just like real life riding. You change gear as normal and FTP doesn't come into it.

You need to make sure you have your correct weight set on the app as your power to weight ratio is what will dictate your speed on the screen.

You can use the video routes to give you a guide to your FTP. The app will tell you your best 20 minute power for a given activity. Multiply that by .95 and you'll be somewhere near, assuming you went eyeballs out for that 20 mins. Somewhere on the app you'll see it gives you an estimated FTP which I think is based on your best 20 minute or 1 hour power depending on what you've done.

The actual FTP test on Rouvy is pretty poor. I'd recommend you get a free trial of Trainerroad and do theirs instead once you are ready to do it.
  • MrB123 wrote:
    The video routes are just like real life riding. You change gear as normal and FTP doesn't come into it.

You need to make sure you have your correct weight set on the app as your power to weight ratio is what will dictate your speed on the screen.

You can use the video routes to give you a guide to your FTP. The app will tell you your best 20 minute power for a given activity. Multiply that by .95 and you'll be somewhere near, assuming you went eyeballs out for that 20 mins. Somewhere on the app you'll see it gives you an estimated FTP which I think is based on your best 20 minute or 1 hour power depending on what you've done.

The actual FTP test on Rouvy is pretty poor. I'd recommend you get a free trial of Trainerroad and do theirs instead once you are ready to do it.

Thanks for the detailed reply. Im sure i set correct details regarding weight too. Do you recommend any of the rides on their or have any other pointers regarding the rouvy app.

I was gonna use the app through the free trial then go to trainerroad for their trial and choose which i prefer.
  • mrb123
    I really like Rouvy. Just signed up for a second 12 month subscription. Costs 100 quid for a year's premium membership so one of the better value apps.

There are a vast number of video routes in there. Only the new augmented routes have the animated riders on them.

I quite enjoy the career feature, whereby you have to do certain activities to get up to the next level. It gives you something to focus on and the different activities give good variety.

Also check out the challenges. There are usually one or two running at any one time. They generally involve doing certain routes or a particular distance or amount of climbing within the period of the challenge. There is usually a prize on offer for one of the people who completes the challenge.

Trainerroad is a great app but all very serious and the sessions are mostly pretty tough. I do most of my turbo rides early morning pre breakfast so the Trainerroad sessions can be a bit much. With Rouvy I can just pick a video route to suit but then there are still workouts on there if you want them.