Do I want a smart watch/fitness tracker or bike Computer

andyh01
andyh01 Posts: 599
Hi all.
End of last year I started moving more and trying to control food intake, so far lost about 10kg -15kg with another 1o-15kg to go. I'm 36 male 169cm tall and hovering around the 80kg mark with body fat of 23% and waist is around 34.
My main exercise now is the 10 mile each way commute and I've just spent on a nice new bike and hoping to get out more, but young family 10 and 5 year olds, Mrs, working full time, house to run and dog to walk time is limited. I also do a bit of rugby coaching and reffing Sunday morning and a bit of leisure swimming on Saturday again with the boys.
I want do a bit more running.
I want a bit more structured workout maybe heart rate zones based. After awhile I stop looking at the data, I'd rather have something that's active whilst doing an activity rather than passive reviewing data.
I've got an old Garmin Edge 500 bike computer but no cadences seniors or hear rate monitor. I also do not have a watch.
Would I be better with a sports watch, was looking at the Polar m436 that does coaching based on heart rate zones but wrist based or get sensors for the Edge 500, I guess I could then use the heart rate monitor off bike with my smartphone?
Budget around £100 looking on eBay don't mind second hand. There's an edge 810 bundal for £110 the sensor to buy new are £100 and a few Garmin forerunners for around similar, could the watchs be paired with cadence sensor as well when in bike??
So confused about it all
Thanks Andy

Comments

• zeee
    zeee Posts: 103
    Hi.

If you want to do running and cycling then you can't got wrong with the garmin forerunner. I have the 235 and it has been great. You can pair it to cadence sensors but not power meters. I used this as my bike computer for 6 months and just put it on my handle bars when cycling. Only reason I have moved to a garmin edge 520 is to use a power meter. The battery life on the forerunner is great too. I used to get a full week including 3 bike rides and using smartwatch and heart rate functions.
  • andyh01
    I don't want go expens of power meter.
    What does the 235 do?
    I also already have an Edge 500 used mainly to know time I rarely hook it up to the pc.
    Could I get a heart rate strap, and pair to either the edge when on bike or the watch when running? I guess though I wouldn't need a heart rate function on the watch?
    Could I have a training session on the watch on heart rate zones and gives an apartment if over or under same on bike and would training session n heart rate be beneficial then just at jogging.
    Just want a structured training plan could even has at be on phone with headphones long as I don't need to look at screen whilst out.
  • zeee
    zeee Posts: 103
    AndyH01 wrote:
    I don't want go expens of power meter.
    What does the 235 do?
    I also already have an Edge 500 used mainly to know time I rarely hook it up to the pc.
    Could I get a heart rate strap, and pair to either the edge when on bike or the watch when running? I guess though I wouldn't need a heart rate function on the watch?
    Could I have a training session on the watch on heart rate zones and gives an apartment if over or under same on bike and would training session n heart rate be beneficial then just at jogging.
    Just want a structured training plan could even has at be on phone with headphones long as I don't need to look at screen whilst out.

The 235 is mainly a running watch but can give all the cycling metrics you will need such as speed, time, distance, elevation etc. You can get it with a built in heart rate monitor but from my experience it isn't that accurate. You can pair a chest heart rate strap to it which is a lot more reliable. You can set alerts for heart rate or speed etc so you stick to the required zone/pace. Once you have finished your run /ride it syncs to the garmin connect app on your mobile so you can see all your stats there and the route you have taken. That will show you how much time you've spent in each zone, average pace, max pace etc.

You can also use it as a smart watch so you can see texts, phone calls and emails etc on your watch so you don't have to get your phone out.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    The 235 is an excellent watch but is an older model due to be replaced shortly by the 245. You might want to wait for that. For £50 more than the 235, at just under £300, you can currently buy the 645 from Wiggle. This is a more modern higher end watch with almost identical functions to the Fenix 5 except it has a smaller battery and won’t do triathlon or outdoor swimming.

I’ve got a 645 and although it’s essentially a running watch and fitness tracker with smart watch functions it also works well for cycling. It’s light and unobtrusive enough to wear 24/7.

Edit: Just spotted OP has limited budget. The Garmin FR35 may be more suitable.

Edit2: Just spotted some good deals at moment on 235 such as £170 from Blacks.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Garmin 500 + HRM + Cadence sensor works for me. In ten years or so I've never done anything useful with HR data. Depending on your goals you have to be very structured about how you use a HRM. If you're just losing weight it's probably overkill? Miles & diet is a good start.

I run too and have a separate running watch, Garmin something or other with ant+ so it hooks up to the same HRM belt. I hate running with the belt on.
  • andyh01
    I think to start with I'm going to get the Garmin Edge set up with HRM and cadence and speed sensor

I've just brought a Garmin HRM from China new without original packaging for £15, an out front mount for £2 and just made a £10 offer for Garmin speed/cadence sensor that goes onto pedal.