Bike light broken in 12 months

Cheeseface22
Cheeseface22 Posts: 133
edited January 2019 in Commuting general
Hello cyclists,

An odd question that I've not yet found an answer to...

I had Moon bike lights (Meteor X and Arcturus) which were perfect for my use. I had them mounted on the top of drop bar and on the seat post.

Unfortunately, I noticed that the rear light stopped working. I inspected it and I can feel and hear the inner component loose. I came to an assumption that over time, the inner component came loose due to the constant vibration from the seat post (I've done approx 2,500miles since new). And the warranty just ran out... so I had to get a new rear light.

Is this a common occurrence with bike lights or is there something I can do to minimise this with the new bike lights?

Thanks and safe cycling!

Comments

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    It's more usual that rear lights on the seatpost fail from water damage, if used on bikes without mudguards, as they tend to directly receive spray from the rear wheel.

I've never had a light failure that I could attribute to vibration damage in the way you're describing.

Rear lights certainly do fail on occasion though so you should always run two to ensure that you are covered against one of them failing.

The other thing that happens is that sometimes they ping off if not very well secured. I lost a new rear light the first time I took it out a couple of weeks back - the hoop attaching it to my saddle bag was obviously a less robust way of securing it than I'd hoped.
  • Thanks Tim,

It's a commuter bike so it has full mudguard (Crud RoadRacer Mk3). I did have it off over the summer but I didn't cycle in the rain then.

Plus the outer shell of the light doesn't look worn out or show signs of water damage.

Maybe I was just unlucky?

And yes, I now have two rear lights. One on the seat post (with a strip of old inner tube to add more "cushioning") and another on my usual back pack.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Just bought a moon front light. It was cheap and I think things are cheap for a reason. Cateye lights last me a long time but cost more. Often the buy cheap buy twice or trice statement is true. Time will tewll I suppose.

Buy a new light. I'd suggest a Leyzene microdrive 180- for the rear. I have a few of them and they seem reliable.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Always have >1 rear light on in case one fails. You can pick them up cheaply so don't risk it.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Unlucky I'd say, my old Moon Shield 60 rear lasted me 7 years and about 9,000 miles before it was stolen (from my desk at work having taken it off the bike to prevent it getting stolen!).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.