Zwift Event - will i find similar pace riders?

dubcat
dubcat Posts: 737
I think i am 1.3 - 1.5 watts/kg cycling. I want to do tour de zwift stage 1 at 10pm GMT today. What are the chances of me finding other similar speed riders in long or short versions of the stage? Will I end up riding solo? Never done a group ride before!
2010 Specialized Rockhopper
2012 Bianchi Infinito

Comments

• just ride it and see what happens
  • 50/50, you either will or won't find similar paced riders.;)

Enjoy!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Dubcat wrote:
    I think i am 1.3 - 1.5 watts/kg cycling. I want to do tour de zwift stage 1 at 10pm GMT today. What are the chances of me finding other similar speed riders in long or short versions of the stage? Will I end up riding solo? Never done a group ride before!

I'd say definitely. I've not been doing Zwift for long, thought the TDZ looked fun, and I went on the 4pm ride for Stage 1 yesterday - there was 2000 folk logged on (roughly) - looking through results, there was definitely plenty in that kind of category. Give it a try.
  • dubcat
    Cool!

My friend is doing it too - how do we find each other? On a normal ride you can join a friend in the companion app right? But how do you do this for an event?
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • If you check out Zwiftpower you will see there were quite a few riders in the 1.3 to 1.7 w/kg levels so you will be okay and probably end up in a small group of similar strength
  • dubcat
    It was great. I did end up in no mans land for most of it but loved it. Would have quite early if this had been a solo ride.
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • Dubcat wrote:
    It was great. I did end up in no mans land for most of it but loved it. Would have quite early if this had been a solo ride.

glad you enjoyed it, did you not manage to find your friend in it?

I'm not sure how you would do that, probably best that you could use the Direct message function on the companion to talk to people you follow, and let each other know which position you are in the field?

I'm the same as you, I would've probably quit, but having folk around me, and trying to hold me position in the field (albeit well done the field, ha ha) made the time pass nice and quickly.

Not sure I'll be able to do all the other stages given time commitments, but certainly hope to manage a few of them.
  • dubcat
    They run each stage multiple times a day for 2 days ... and then do catch up days later on. For example people who missed stage 1 can do it on a coupe of days in early Feb.

My friend started late so missed the lead-in. Consequently we never did end up riding together in game. It was fine though - we chatted in a WhatsApp call and I think we would have found each other I’d we had started at the same time by meeting at a landmark perhaps.
    2012 Bianchi Infinito