LEAVE the Conservative Party and save your country!

Comments

• Stevo 666 wrote:
    I guess the difference would be that this would be to try and get someone who you prefer in, rather than voting to for someone that you think would destroy the country if they got in. That still strikes me as perverse logic.
    We are both trying to help in our own ways - as I explained a few times, my reason was to keep the Labour party out of power for the good of the country's interests - and mine (IMHO). And so far, it's worked.

I find it hard to believe that you are confident that the country is currently in a better state than it could have been with a different Labour leader during the Brexit vote... Or that the Conservatives wouldn't be better off if they hadn't called an election in 2017 because Labour was "unelectable". So far, he's only been bad for the country and the Conservatives (as well as Labour), but fingers crossed it doesn't get worse, eh?
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    Do you get free gammon with every membership?
    Nearly everyone likes bacon so that could be a good idea to increase membership.

Just 51.89% of the UK population and some of those have gone vegan now - or died off.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,488
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I guess the difference would be that this would be to try and get someone who you prefer in, rather than voting to for someone that you think would destroy the country if they got in. That still strikes me as perverse logic.
    We are both trying to help in our own ways - as I explained a few times, my reason was to keep the Labour party out of power for the good of the country's interests - and mine (IMHO). And so far, it's worked.

I find it hard to believe that you are confident that the country is currently in a better state than it could have been with a different Labour leader during the Brexit vote... Or that the Conservatives wouldn't be better off if they hadn't called an election in 2017 because Labour was "unelectable". So far, he's only been bad for the country and the Conservatives (as well as Labour), but fingers crossed it doesn't get worse, eh?

If the question is how bad can a Conservative government be and still be not as bad as a Labour government then we're certainly testing that theory to destruction.

As for joining to influence the choice of the next leader, why fight over who is captain of a ship after it's hit the iceberg.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry wrote:
    As for joining to influence the choice of the next leader, why fight over who is captain of a ship after it's hit the iceberg.

If you think there is a more likely next prime minister than the leader of either the Conservative or Labour party, I'm open to listening.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,172
    but fingers crossed it doesn't get worse, eh?
    Don't just cross your fingers then, make sure you don't vote Labour at the next GE.

And going back on topic, join the tory party for the good of the country...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:

If you think there is a more likely next prime minister than the leader of either the Conservative or Labour party, I'm open to listening.

Labour don't have the numbers to force a GE, and as much as the Brexiters hate May's deal they would rather die than vote with anything tainted by Labour. As the ERG have shot their bolt, May cannot be challenged for another year. She doesn't seem capable of admitting an error so I can't see her resigning. So we are stuck with this void of leadership.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Do you get free gammon with every membership?
    Nearly everyone likes bacon so that could be a good idea to increase membership.

Just 51.89% of the UK population and some of those have gone vegan now - or died off.
    and bacon contains carcinogens, but hey, let them eat what they want.
    oooops forgot thats not what some conservatives think bacon's for
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Don't just cross your fingers then, make sure you don't vote Labour at the next GE.

And going back on topic, join the tory party for the good of the country...
    make your mind up?
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    With Corbyn and this crop of Tories we’re all losers, mate.
    Speak for yourself, everybody's circumstances are different.

Depends if you define your absence of loserishness purely on your personal circumstances rather than with regard to the wider impact of the fact that both main parties are currently, under normal circumstances, totally unelectable.

I'll be fine whatever Brexit comes our way if indeed there is one. But I'll still be a loser along with everyone else because of it.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Stevo 666 wrote:

I don't share your faith in my influence over the wider voting public.
  • rjsterry wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Labour don't have the numbers to force a GE, and as much as the Brexiters hate May's deal they would rather die than vote with anything tainted by Labour. As the ERG have shot their bolt, May cannot be challenged for another year. She doesn't seem capable of admitting an error so I can't see her resigning. So we are stuck with this void of leadership.

She has said she will not be leader at the next general election. Surely worth trying to get a reasonable leader whenever that happens.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

She has said she will not be leader at the next general election. Surely worth trying to get a reasonable leader whenever that happens.

Who do you have in mind? The current frontrunners do not seem like an improvement; there is so little collective responsibility that surely we would have seen some evidence of leadership qualities from whoever it was by now. There are clearly a few decent people in the party but I can't see any of them ever being leader. And even if enough people joined to get one of the grown-ups elected leader, there would still be a large chunk of the party biding their time before they can pull the European wound open again.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo 666 wrote:

Don’t forget the dent to business confidence that his presence delivers
  • rjsterry wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Who do you have in mind? The current frontrunners do not seem like an improvement; there is so little collective responsibility that surely we would have seen some evidence of leadership qualities from whoever it was by now. There are clearly a few decent people in the party but I can't see any of them ever being leader. And even if enough people joined to get one of the grown-ups elected leader, there would still be a large chunk of the party biding their time before they can pull the European wound open again.

Local MP, almost anyone except Zac Goldsmith.
    Leader, I haven't really thought about it - Justine Greening? If enough joined, the chunk of the party that wants to tear the wound open becomes a smaller chunk.
  • Stevo_666
    Rolf F wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Depends if you define your absence of loserishness purely on your personal circumstances rather than with regard to the wider impact of the fact that both main parties are currently, under normal circumstances, totally unelectable.

I'll be fine whatever Brexit comes our way if indeed there is one. But I'll still be a loser along with everyone else because of it.
    My point was more generally that Rick cannot speak for everyone on this. He took that the wrong way and then tried to play the man not the ball.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Leader, I haven't really thought about it - Justine Greening? If enough joined, the chunk of the party that wants to tear the wound open becomes a smaller chunk.

Greening would be good but she'd never be put on the shortlist by her fellow MPs*. If it comes to a leadership election it'll end up being Hunt or Javid or one of the other people suddenly keen to polish their image with the right of the party. Regardless the party will still be squabbling over Europe for decades to come.

*This - apart from the small matter of entryism undermining Parliamentary democracy - is why paying the £25 is a bad idea. You'll only get to choose between two shortlisted by the likes of Bridgen, Grayling, Davis, etc.

Of more interest is whether Corbyn ignoring his membership will result in any kind of reckoning there. And if there is a GE and he still can't make any headway there's also some hope that a grown-up might put in a leadership challenge there.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Greening would be good but she'd never be put on the shortlist by her fellow MPs. If it comes to a leadership election it'll end up being Hunt or Javid or one of the other people suddenly keen to polish their image with the right of the party. Regardless the party will still be squabbling over Europe for decades to come.

Does the membership have to change to make the Conservatives a party that a reasonable person could vote for with more enthusiasm than "at least they aren't Corbyn"? At the moment, their traditional natural supporters are very different from the membership.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,249
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

My point was more generally that Rick cannot speak for everyone on this. He took that the wrong way and then tried to play the man not the ball.

No that wasn’t your point. Else you’d have said that.

You were just being a smug I’m alright jack.

It’s fine but don’t BS.

You regularly make the “well I’m doing ok so who cares” argument.

Micro/macro confusion, but we’ve already established that right?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

No that wasn’t your point. Else you’d have said that.

You were just being a smug I’m alright jack.

It’s fine but don’t BS.

You regularly make the “well I’m doing ok so who cares” argument.

Micro/macro confusion, but we’ve already established that right?
    Wrong again Rick. You're not a mind reader and you interpreted it a certain way: that's your problem, not mine. And don't try to muddy the waters by dragging up your micro/macro stuff again - I'm well aware of the difference.

You're sounding more bitter as this goes on otherwise you wouldn't be going on about it and trying to play the man not the ball.

PS: to address your earlier point, I will empathise with your commuting plight when I come up to Cambridge to collect my new car on 1st of March :wink:
  • rjsterry
    Some of us have good reason to feel bitter. It's difficult to imagine something so pointlessly destructive as this sorry enterprise, and all to sate a bunch of idiots who get all misty-eyed about an empire that was long gone before they were even born. Apart from the economic losses, the social division that this has brought about has ruined my country. Expressing rage at the situation is perfectly natural, however ineffective ranting on here might be. It's great that some are insulated from the negative effects and have even managed to do well out of the situation. I hope those advantages are not too shortlived.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    rjsterry wrote:
    Some of us have good reason to feel bitter. It's difficult to imagine something so pointlessly destructive as this sorry enterprise, and all to sate a bunch of idiots who get all misty-eyed about an empire that was long gone before they were even born. Apart from the economic losses, the social division that this has brought about has ruined my country. Expressing rage at the situation is perfectly natural, however ineffective ranting on here might be. It's great that some are insulated from the negative effects and have even managed to do well out of the situation. I hope those advantages are not too shortlived.
    That I can understand. Except when it's directed at me - and he can't blame me as I voted Remain. There seems to be some sorted of resentment towards people who in his eyes are doing alright. Hey ho.
  • rjsterry
    Well you do put it out there by bragging about your new car ;)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    rjsterry wrote:
    It's a bit leftie if you think that just mentioning buying a new car is boasting, there's over 2 million sold a year in the UK. Anyhow, I think he deserved it given his chippy attitude :)
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    It's a bit leftie if you think that just mentioning buying a new car is boasting, there's over 2 million sold a year in the UK. Anyhow, I think he deserved it given his chippy attitude :)

They're not sold, they're hired out. PCP innit. It's how the gammon can 'afford' their Audis.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

They're not sold, they're hired out. PCP innit. It's how the gammon can 'afford' their Audis.
    True, I'm sure quite a lot of people do that.

Out of interest, how do lefties afford cars?
  • rjsterry
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

You've 'just mentioned' it in three separate threads that I can remember, but don't stop on my account. I look forward to the next update. :)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    rjsterry wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

You've 'just mentioned' it in three separate threads that I can remember, but don't stop on my account. I look forward to the next update. :)
    Keeping count are we? Hmmm. A bit stalkerish but don't stop on my account :wink:
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Interest-free credit, I guess.

That's the system. Cash is like a slap in the face to car dealers. As like as not you'd get reported to the authorities if you tried it with anything more than a piddling amount, say over £10k.

Even bank transfers have to be explained these days.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    How to make a small fortune.

1. start off with a large fortune
    2. vote for David Cameron's party
  • Stevo_666
    Robert88 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Interest-free credit, I guess.

That's the system. Cash is like a slap in the face to car dealers. As like as not you'd get reported to the authorities if you tried it with anything more than a piddling amount, say over £10k.

Even bank transfers have to be explained these days.
    The limit for cash payments to be reported is only €10k before the money laundering regs kick in. but TBH it's probably not that common these days unless you're buying an old banger.

Bank transfers are reportable as you say but it's not often that we get quizzed on this sort of thing - the onus is usually on the bank to supply the info. I'll see what happens next month.

I would have thought that lefties usually buy cars the same way that gammons do, just the amounts involved will probably be less on average :)