Questions about parts for Lynskey road frame...

berzin
berzin Posts: 39
edited February 2019 in Road buying advice
Hello!!!

I'm in the process of getting a custom Lynsky R480 road bike and am in need of help.

1) What type of bottom bracket would I need for a 68 English threaded? Could I use a Chirs King Threadfit 24? I'm running Shimano 7800.

2) The Headtube Design is Tapered/Integrated, and the recommended headset according to Lynskey is a Cane Creek IS 42/52. What would the equivalent for a Chris King?

3) What size fork would I need? I'm clueless when it comes to this. Would a 1 and 1/8th work, or do I need a different measurement?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    To answer your questions in order. Yes the Chris King Threadfit 24 would be suitable for your Shimano 7800 crankset. Although why on earth you want to lash out ~£150 on a bottom bracket I don't know. A Shimano Ultegra one would do perfectly well at an eighth of the price.

https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-ul ... 62947.html

Regarding the fork question - here is a link to the road fork that Lynskey sell as a branded unit. It's pricey tho at $380

https://lynskeyperformance.com/lynskey- ... on-fork-2/

It is a 1 1/4 to 1 1/8th tapered for so if you can find any others to that spec but cheaper you should be OK. Something like the Kinesis Aithein fork would be OK

https://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/kines ... XIEALw_wcB
  • berzin
    I was told Chris King made the best bottom brackets, but you are correct.

In fact, I have a couple of D-Ace7800 bottom brackets laying around unused, so I may even save more money by not having to purchase a bottom bracket at all.

As for the fork, I sort of wanted to kit the new frame out with Enve fork, stem, and seatpost. But I've been looking more cost effective alternatives that will suit my needs from Zipp and FSA.

As for the fork specs, can I use a 1 and 1/2 to 1 and 1/8th or will the configuration not fit the head tube at all?
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Berzin wrote:
    As for the fork specs, can I use a 1 and 1/2 to 1 and 1/8th or will the configuration not fit the head tube at all?

Yes you should be fine. Just re-read my post above and spotted a glaring error. The Lynskey fork I linked to is in fact 1 and 1/2 to 1 and 1/8 tapered (not 1 and 1/4 to 1 and 1/8 as I stated). Apologies for the error.

So any 1 and 1/2 to 1 and 1/8 fork should be fine. If you fancy an Enve fork then Merlin have this on offer at £400. Make sure you select the 1 and 1/2 option (or 1.5" as they term it on their webpage) if you decide to go with that.

https://www.merlincycles.com/enve-road- ... NgEALw_wcB
  • berzin
    Funny you should mention Merlin. I almost went bankrupt purchasing Castelli clothing from them, among other things. Their online service and US pricing is terrific.

For Enve stuff (which I still haven't made up my mind about) I am trying to source less expensive prices here in NYC where I live. It seems that European pricing for Enve is slightly more than the retail prices are in the states.
  • harry-s
    harry-s Posts: 295
    I believe the Lynskey carbon forks range are rebranded Enve.
    Or at least they were when I bought a Lynskey a few years ago.
  • berzin
    Another question I'll throw out here for the sake of not having to start a whole new thread for what should be a short response.

The Lynskey I'm building has a 68mm English thread botttom bracket. Let's say I were going to use a Chris King bb. What size would I need for the 7800 Dura Ace cranks?

Would I need the Threadfit 24 with the conversion kit or the Threadfit 30?
  • berzin
    I'm trying to decide which company I should go with for the cockpit.

Apparently Enve has fallen out of favor here at WW if I'm no mistaken. It would be cool to have the stem, seatpost and fork from the same company for the sake of uniformity, but I have to keep my options open, especially with the handlebar.

Since I'm going to need a -17 stem, there is 3T, FSA and Zipp for the stem/seatpost. None of these companies have a compatible fork (43 rake) so I'm looking at a used Enve 2.0 from Ebay.

The handlebars have been the most challenging piece to source. I currently have the Oval Concepts R910 and love them, but they are discontinued. The only way to get another pair is via the used market, not something I can count on because I never see them on sale on Ebay.

If anyone can recommend an anatomic bend bar with similar measurements (85 reach, 130 drop) that would be great.

I have no idea about the water bottle cages. I may paint some or all of the components depending on feasibility, and the color scheme will be either black w/celeste lettering or black w/light blue lettering. I think the contrast would look great, since I once had a Litespeed Ultimate painted like this and it really did look nice.

Headset and bottom bracket-I am considering Chris King. Since this is my dream bike, I don't mind spending extra for certain parts if I could get them to match the color of the lettering.

Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • akh
    akh Posts: 206
    Berzin wrote:
    Another question I'll throw out here for the sake of not having to start a whole new thread for what should be a short response.

The Lynskey I'm building has a 68mm English thread botttom bracket. Let's say I were going to use a Chris King bb. What size would I need for the 7800 Dura Ace cranks?

Would I need the Threadfit 24 with the conversion kit or the Threadfit 30?

I'm not an expert on Chris King offerings, but I would think you would be a Threadfit 24 without adapters.

Shimano cranks use a 24mm axel, I assume the 24 in the BB name refers to that. Shimano don't make any road cranks with a 30mm axel, that's used by SRAM in some of their cranks, as well as certain other manufacturers. I'd seriously consider just using a standard Shimano BB to begin with though. Seems the Chris King options don't come in any fancy colours, and it's a 10 minutes job to change a BB. I'd take a chance on the Shimano one and lose <£/$20 if I didn't like it, rather than spend that much on a CK to begin with.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Berzin wrote:
    I'm trying to decide which company I should go with for the cockpit.

Apparently Enve has fallen out of favor here at WW if I'm no mistaken. It would be cool to have the stem, seatpost and fork from the same company for the sake of uniformity, but I have to keep my options open, especially with the handlebar.

Since I'm going to need a -17 stem, there is 3T, FSA and Zipp for the stem/seatpost. None of these companies have a compatible fork (43 rake) so I'm looking at a used Enve 2.0 from Ebay.

The handlebars have been the most challenging piece to source. I currently have the Oval Concepts R910 and love them, but they are discontinued. The only way to get another pair is via the used market, not something I can count on because I never see them on sale on Ebay.

If anyone can recommend an anatomic bend bar with similar measurements (85 reach, 130 drop) that would be great.
    How about Ritchey for cockpit?
  • berzin
    The drop on Ritchey handlebars are too big, and to be honest I've always found Ritchey stuff to be quite bland and unexciting.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    I think PRO (Shimano) do +/-17 degree stems, but not 100pc sure.
  • manglier
    manglier Posts: 1,208
    My Lynskey wears Zipp SL 70 bar with matching Zipp Service Course ± 17°stem, although I intend replacing that with a Ritchey Classic ± 6° in shiney alli. My BB is Sram Red to match the chainset and the Headset is a Chris King affair holding a pair of Enve 2 forks. For the seatpost I went for the Canyon VCLS original rather than the Zipp, it performed better in a side by side test I read somewhere. The test included the VCLS 2, Spesh CGR and the Zipp SL Speed and the outcome was that the best was the VCLS 2 and the original VCLS not far behind, but both well ahead of the others.
  • I went for Thomson finishing kit on mine, masterpiece seat post, X2 stem and the carbon road bars - understated but in keeping with the bike. Went for the Enve 1.0 forks on mine. Lovely bike.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Really don't get the Chris King obsession. Generally over-priced, over-engineered stuff and the law of diminishing returns usually applies in situations like that.
  • berzin
    I know, but I would not be doing my due diligence if I did not consider Chris King. And it's always good to have differing opinions.

The items I need for the frame (fork, stem, handlebar, seatpost, water bottle cages and bottom bracket) are all still up in the air, but I'm closing in. This is going to be my dream bike, and I want to leave nothing to chance. Am I overthinking things? Probably. The process has fun and enlightening, even frustrating at times, but in a good way.