New starter mountain bike help

mike_se
mike_se Posts: 6
edited January 2019 in MTB buying advice
I'm sure people hate these kind of posts but I have done my reading! I'm going to be getting a new bike and I can't really spend more than £400 (£75 of this is a voucher as well). I have been reading reviews and information and I think I have narrowed it down to either the Voodoo Hoodoo from Halfords or the Calibre Two Cubed from Go Outdoors. Both get great reviews.

The Voodoo seems to have an air fork and a 1x10 drivetrain (which I always thought was a good idea but I haven't bought a bike for about 10 years!) which seem to push it above the Calibre and I do get 10% off at Halfords where it would be from which would bring it down to the £400. This is probably where I am swaying at the moment.

Can anyone offer an opinion for me?

Also seen that the Voodoo Wazoo has been reduced so linked that too, it was another I had been interested in.

Links to bikes:

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/ ... -22-frames

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/calibre-tw ... ke-p433553

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/ ... -20-frames

Comments

• mike_se
    mike_se Posts: 6
    edited January 2019
    Good idea, I've added links to the post now. Also added a link to the Wazoo as I've noticed the price on that has dropped as well. I get 10% off everything at Halfords as a perk through my employer, which is handy for some things!
  • slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    As above, hoodoo is a better spec bike.
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)
  • phil485
    phil485 Posts: 364
    I got a hoodoo late last year. A lot of bike for the money.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Hoodoo is streets ahead of the other 2.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Cheers for the replies, that was the one I was leaning towards. I've looked at used bikes as well but they don't really seem to be that cheap, based on the fact I'll actually only be spending about £330 of my own money on a new Hoodoo which does seem like a good spec for what I'll be using it for.
  • I'm around 5' 10"/5' 11", and seem to be in the middle of the medium and large frame size. What would anyone recommend in this case?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sit on one.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Fair one, i'll do that! I suppose the bike will feel different if it's slightly smaller or a bit larger, probably trade-offs either way.
  • slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    The sizing of bikes e.g. Large is a good guide, but ultimately they all have different measurements and configuration. When you put this together with the different lengths of peoples arms and legs it all becomes a bit irrelevant. So the only real way to tell is sit on it as Cooldad says. I would suspect a Large would suit you better.
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    You're the same height as me and I'm sort of on the cusp of M and L, depending on the bike.

My HT is M (18") and my FS is L (19").

If I were to get another HT I would get a L as mine feels a little cramped now, but as you have been advised, you need to sit on them and decide what fits you best.

Happy shopping.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    I’m 6’ but with relatively short arms and legs.
    My HT is a L but my FS is a M.

Sitting on a bike is a good indication of what size you need. The quoted frame size is (usually) a measure of the seat tube length. However, modern MTBs are getting longer so reach is as important as height.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009