Cane Creek 40 series Headset bearing type?

pgodwin555
pgodwin555 Posts: 66
edited January 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,
Having issues trying to work out the bearing measurement I need for my bike. I have used the online Cane Creek tool but still confused. Can anyone help? The only option is to strip out the bearings in bike, although whether the serial number is still readable...

Its for Canyon Spectral EX 8 2015

Online Cane Creek calculator says
Upper Headset Fit
ZS44/28.6
Lower Headset Fit
IS52/40

Thanks
Paul

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Why are you confused by that specification?

Does it have a semi integrated upped and an internal lower headset with a tapered steerer (which is what the photos suggest you should have) in that case that's pretty much the only headset likely to be fitted.

IMG_6111.jpg
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Yes, its as per your picture. I am just trying to find the replacement bearings I need to order to replace the ones that are shot.

I think I need CBAA0006K 52mm (1.5″) and CHSS2030 41mm (1″1/8) but not 100% sure.
  • The Rookie
    The replacement bearing for the upper could be almost anything as its designed to fit whatever housing you have and not a standard frame.

The lower is standardised as it goes from frame to fork with no proprietary part involved.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Aren't ZS44 type headset using standard size bearings?

Recently built up a frame that is ZS44/56 and was wondering if can just measure the bearings and buy some ideally stainless steel.

IS42/52 just sit in the frame much easier to fit etc whether that is a good thing or not.
  • The Rookie
    swod1 wrote:
    Nope, seen everything from loose ball, via a semi cartridge (where the outer race was also the housing) and at least 2 different sizes of cartridge bearing, I've also had ZS44 headsets that use a smaller/lighter upper cartridge bearing compared to the lower.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    The Rookie wrote:
    swod1 wrote:
    Nope, seen everything from loose ball, via a semi cartridge (where the outer race was also the housing) and at least 2 different sizes of cartridge bearing, I've also had ZS44 headsets that use a smaller/lighter upper cartridge bearing compared to the lower.

Interesting you would think it would be a standard bearing size once the cup was fitted.

Current headset is a cheapo brand x working fine at minute but doubt it will last long term.

Will see how i get on, without needlessly spending money. its just a bike to get out again while i save for a full suss bike.
  • Managed to contact Canyon direct they can supply new bearings for £34 delivered. Not sure if this is a good price or not?....Will try and get the bearings out and see if the model is on it as sure I can get cheaper. I had the same issue with my specialized road bike but once I found the type managed to source from UK eBay seller for over half the price. I think the 52mm bearing is about £14 on its own so perhaps price is good.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Bird are selling the standard Cane Creek 40 headset bearings for £19.50 (or £50 for stainless steel) for the pair.
    The bearing numbers are CBAA0006K and CHSS2030.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Thanks folks, yeah I managed to source from Superstar components £17 delivered. I took out the bearings in the end to verify but at least I know for future.