EUROSPORT PLAYER Black Friday Offer

jgsi
jgsi Posts: 5,062
edited March 2019 in Pro race
20 quid for the year, offer end on Friday.

Comments

• JGSI wrote:
    20 quid for the year, offer end on Friday.

The offer ends on Monday.
    Automatically renews at the full price, unless you opt out.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Had to cancel me £2 subscription and use a different email address again, you can switch between two email addresses by contacting customer support and asking them to delete your old ceased account.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,230
    Thread revival / hijack

What is the optimal TV/ price balance experience, taking into account serious cycling demands?

I used to have sky which was great but pricey. Main thing it lacked was foreign tv but I could watch anything I wanted (nothing I wanted was on sky sports, save for a couple of NFL games)

I have since moved to Virgin since it saves me £20 a month and I only lose the odd HD channel and sky Atlantic (wondering how I’m gonna watch true detective 3)

I received a chromecast tv thing for Christmas and it has me wondering if it’s worth ditching virgin entirely and reverting to a free view box and adding specific subs for what I want to watch. Netflix would be a boon for example.

A few ideas I have are ditching virgin and getting a Eurosport player sub and maybe Netflix and/or NowTV), or perhaps just buying a reputable VPN subscription and watching the cycling coverage from other countries and fl!cking it on the tv via the chromecast.

Does anyone have any views and/or advice?

The cheaper the solution the better; though if it’s bloody outstanding for a smidge more I’m open.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    I like the ES player app, works well for me on my phone and iPad but I haven't any experience of Chromecast or the like. I work away from home a lot so, although I have ES with my Sky package, I can still watch ES when I'm abroad or even offshore. I don't think I've ever paid full price for it though, I usually just sign up for one of the occasional offers - a one off payment of £29 I think it cost me last year compared to around £60 for the entire year's monthly subscription. I would drop my Sky package tomorrow as I tend to watch terrestrial and Freeview channels most of the time and have Netflix, Amazon Prime and Eurosport as separate packages - I have other members of the household to consider though.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • ES player through the chromecast or native TV app is pretty damn good, and you get most things on catchup as well. Eurosport has plenty enough cycling for me, and I don't have any other sports channels.

Iplayer on an app (chromecast or smart TV again) is way better than the Virgin Tivo version. Don't know if the V5 box is better. The ITV and Ch4 catchup services are better on Virgin because they don't force you to watch all the adverts.

Just ditched Netflix because we weren't watching it, and I'd happily ditch Virgin TV if it cost much, but I like being able to record (thinking about it, I don't know why), and haven't got a TV aerial.
  • rick_chasey
    Ah yes I forgot about the arial...
  • ovi
    ovi Posts: 396
    I used to have Eurosport player but I used to find it very laggy towards the end of a race when more people tuned in to watch the last 30 minutes, Has it improved?

I now use the eurosort app on Amazon prime which works really well but doesn't have the TV schedule for it and some programs don't get added to the watch later bit. It's about a £1.00 more a month.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    I have eurosport on sky but also bought the app subscription on black Friday. It's the channel I find I watch most, winter sports at this time of year and cycling from spring.

Only disappointments I have are the app on an android box doesn't work (at least I can't get it to), so when watching ES in another room I have to use chromecast, and I wish there were more cycling videos on demand. They broadcast every gt stage so why not have a few on demand?!!
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    We ditched sky for BT and then ditched BT.

Now I just use Eurosport and flick it in HD from my phone. I think newer versions of the tv have an app. 4K Netflix and the rest is streamed. I did buy an ariel but mostly use the apps in the smart tv.

When game of thrones starts I’ll get now tv and then ditch it when I’ve finished with it.

Saved a fortune and not missed anything I want.
  • Used to watch my Eurosport sub through Chromecast but wasn't HD. Now have a smart tv with the Eurosport app in glorious HD.

Also with the smart tv there is the Youtube app for when the UCI show stuff live as well as their recordings and the Facebook video app which is useful at the mo as GCN are showing much of the Belgian cyclocross season.

I also have a tiny pc connected to the tv primarily for the trainer but it also means I can connect to Tiz cycling for HD recordings of the season's races plus I have an old Humax freesat box that is netwoorked so I can save recordings of cycling to my NAS.

On the odd occasion I use Now TV I use the trick of modifying your subscription email to get the free trials as often as you want.
  • Been really pleased with the ES player this last year. Most races on catch up, some races like the Tour with additional camera views to pick from which is nice. I have an Android phone and ES Player works fine on it.
  • rick_chasey
    Cheers guys.

Anyone with experience regularly watching continental TV via a VPN?
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Cheers guys.

Yes, be prepared to clear your cache and change VPN providers periodically. other than that its straight forward. Chrome is quite good.

I watch some Italian stuff since i have a family member thats on quite a bit.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Never felt the need - Eurosport player is pretty comprehensive, and includes additional channels with live streams that I'm not sure are available via sky/virgin? Eg you can get a stream for a race that would otherwise only have highlights later on the main Eurosport channels.

You also get ad free coverage.

In short Eurosport player is excellent and worth trying before messing with vpns etc.

We've never bothered to fit an aerial here, iPlayer gives comparable quality to the full hd channel and it's pretty rare that we watch anything live on the main channels anyway.

If I really want to I can stream broadcast quality from work where I have an aerial by the window in sight of the ally pally transmitter, that gets used for the world cup etc but otherwise we just stream on demand, Netflix, prime etc.
  • I'm running the ES Player on Apple TV as well as my laptop and phone. It was a shambles on the Firestick though.

It's come on a lot since the early days.
  • rick_chasey
    TimothyW wrote:
    Never felt the need - Eurosport player is pretty comprehensive, and includes additional channels with live streams that I'm not sure are available via sky/virgin? Eg you can get a stream for a race that would otherwise only have highlights later on the main Eurosport channels.

In short Eurosport player is excellent and worth trying before messing with vpns etc.

Jabut Carlton Kirby.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Cheers guys.

Yes, be prepared to clear your cache and change VPN providers periodically. other than that its straight forward. Chrome is quite good.

I watch some Italian stuff since i have a family member thats on quite a bit.

We have a company VPN, I just use my laptop and watch through the UK gateway for UK TV while abroad and through the Norway gateway when I am in the UK for things which aren't on UK streaming services (Netflix and Prime both have different selections in different regions) ;)

My setup is ES player/Netflix/Prime Video/iPlayer and equivalents, all on PS4 except ES Player which I watch by Chromecast. I watch the odd NFL match through the NFL GamePass app on the PS4, but only very occasionally. I think I'm also paying for NowTV (the Sky streaming service), we got that for Game of Thrones.

We would ditch Virgin TV as well, but it costs bugger all on top of our Virgin fibre connection. I can't remember the last time we watched live TV through conventional broadcast, the Virgin media box isn't even plugged in at the moment cos I needed the plug for the Chromecast. iPlayer can do live TV if we ever needed it. The virgin media box can apparently do Netflix etc but the hardware/firmware is a bag of dicks so it's not worth the effort.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    TimothyW wrote:

Jabut Carlton Kirby.
    Did I mention access to streams without commentary? That's another thing to be said for it.
  • TimothyW wrote:
    TimothyW wrote:

Jabut Carlton Kirby.
    Did I mention access to streams without commentary? That's another thing to be said for it.

I sometimes watch these, but would prefer a stream with someone who understands what/who they are watching, and occasionally shuts up.
  • redvision
    Apart from YouTube, does anyone know where you can watch full stage replays/ classic races on demand with English commentary?
  • redvision wrote:
    Apart from YouTube, does anyone know where you can watch full stage replays/ classic races on demand with English commentary?
    I keep saying it but Tiz cycling website. You can also download the videos but being full stages/races in HD they're pretty big.
  • redvision
    redvision wrote:
    I keep saying it but Tiz cycling website. You can also download the videos but being full stages/races in HD they're pretty big.

Thanks, will have a look
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Amazon currently have an offer for any Prime members. Eurosport player for 1p/month for the next six months.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,508
    £20 for a year until 17th March
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    redvision wrote:

That website just seemed to give me loads of dodgy looking popups and resorted to me forcefully closing Chrome via the task manager.