Why not?

k1875
k1875 Posts: 485
edited January 2019 in MTB beginners
https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bikes/mo ... low_462273

Given that it'll cost me as much per month as I spend on, oooh, let's say, crisps: why shouldn't I buy this?

I have a couple of road bikes and a cross bike, which is capable of handling as much off road action as I'm ever going to be interested in, but it's my daily commuter so is set up with full mudguards and slicks and I don't have the time to keep changing wheels/tyres over winter.

I'm thinking this could live in the garage ready shod with spiked tyres for when the weather demands and be changed over once per year to knobblies for spring/summer/autumn - I have a wee boy and a country park nearby, so this would be go-to wheels for taking him out for a spin over those months.

It won't be expected to jump off stuff, it won't need to soak up bumps at speed. It is available for nearly nothing per month. But I know nothing about mountain bikes. For the purposes described and without having to outlay anything up front, is there anything truly hideous about this which should put me off?

Any helpful replies gratefully received. Any smart arsed comments about "Decathlon" , "Voodoo Bazingas" , "have you searched the forum" can be pre-emptively shoved up your @rse thanks very much. I'm really just asking about any obvious deficiencies in this bike.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It will probably do what you want it to do.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    And fukk you too.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • k1875
    cooldad wrote:
    And fukk you too.

Thanks, for the first reply at least. It was after all what was requested. The second you can, as predicted, shove up your @rse since you were clearly desperate to provide a lecture on something which wasn't of any interest. Glad I could save you the trouble, you're welcome.
  • k1875
    oxoman wrote:
    To the OP it would be ideal for what you want, only thing I will say is have you actually ridden on ice covered roads. Just frost or black ice / smooth ice then spike are great if it's ribbed frozen slush or snow then it's fatbike territory. I personally rate rutland, my last couple of bikes have been ex demo that cost me substantially less than they should.

Cheers, I have options if the weather looks well beyond what I'm comfortable with but having something ready to go might give me a few more days per year without resorting to public transport.

Have ridden at - 5 on slick 25's as I am on bus routes the whole way, so hoping low pressure spikes will get me through virtually anything. Have had bits and bobs from Rutland with no probs and given the intended use a few scratches on an ex demo bike don't concern me.

Happy new year to you!
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Whyte bikes have a great reputation and if my bike is anything to go by it is well deserved.

Rutland are also very good. I have bought several bikes from them and they were spot on every time. I have also bought an ex-demo from them and it came with new tyres, chain, cassette and 3 months warranty. That was in 2009, so they may not offer those extras now, but It's worth asking as we keep reading how desperate retailers are to make sales.

Finally. Mud tyres are equally good in snow and slush, and of course you can ride them anywhere else too. But if you are looking for secure grip on ice, then only metal spiked tyres will do that job. But they will be absolutely carp on any hard surface.

PS: If you do fit spiked tyres, make sure that you fit a rear mudguard, just in case you go over any steep drops! You will value that recommendation once you've done it!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Similar spec, brand new, and cheaper....

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/ ... -20-frames
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    The Rookie wrote:
    Similar spec, brand new, and cheaper....

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/ ... -20-frames

You know what you can do with that?
    k1875 wrote:
    Any helpful replies gratefully received. Any smart arsed comments about "Decathlon" , "Voodoo Bazingas" , "have you searched the forum" can be pre-emptively shoved up your @rse thanks very much. I'm really just asking about any obvious deficiencies in this bike.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    But also .....
    k1875 wrote:
    why shouldn't I buy this?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    k1875 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    And fukk you too.

Thanks, for the first reply at least. It was after all what was requested. The second you can, as predicted, shove up your @rse since you were clearly desperate to provide a lecture on something which wasn't of any interest. Glad I could save you the trouble, you're welcome.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    k1875 wrote:
    I am on bus routes the whole way,...

So why do you want spiked tyres?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Curious as to what your use for spiked tyres are as well...

To match his personality?
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er